Interview with Phil Hartnoll

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

stargurl
Geography group B
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Interview with Phil Hartnoll

Post by stargurl »

Nothing really exciting, but it's a recent interview and mentions Long Range a bit.

08-7-2005
Phil Hartnoll from the legendary techno duo Orbital is still a PowerCore novice, but has already made extensive use of the Filtroid on a couple of his latest tracks.

Orbital released their first record in 1991, and have ever since then divided their time between making barrier-breaking techno music and remixing for the likes of Meat Beat Manifesto, EMF, The Drum Club, Yellow Magic Orchestra and Queen Latifah. Even though Phil Hartnoll only recently started working on the PowerCore platform, he has been familiar with TC Electronic for years.

Quality is great
Phil Hartnoll: “We have got a lot of TC equipment and had a good relationship with TC Electronic over the years. The M5000, FireworX, and the Finalizer have had a place in our studio for a long time, and we really love the sound and quality of the equipment. When we found out about the Powercore, we thought – ‘this is excellent because it takes the processing power away from your computer!’”
“That is always a great thing”, Phil Hartnoll continues, “but beyond that PowerCore is about quality. I think it is fantastic value for the money. The quality of all the reverbs and the extra things is great.”

We use it that much!
“One of my favorite things is Filtroid and PowerCore 01. We have been using it a lot lately. We have only had the Powercore for a few months now, but we have already been using the PowerCore 01 (SH-101) on a couple of tracks. Filtroid is also fantastic because you can automate it, and because it is so user friendly and creative to work with”, Phil Hartnoll recounts
“Filtroid is more than just a filter; it is very powerful and you can end up with amazing results. We have used that box (PowerCore FireWire, ed.) so much over the last couple of months. You can use it straight out of the box. It applies the same principles as hardware in the rack. In fact, I have lost track on how many ways we have used the Powercore, we use it that much!”

Elements of Orbital
Currently, Phil Hartnoll is working on an album with Ben Burns and Nick Smith - going under the name Long Range. Phil explains:
“When we have about 8 or 9 tracks, we are going to record them here in my studio and see what happens from that. Some tracks are a little Orbital-esque with Nick doing a bit of singing, which is new to the party. If you are a Orbital fan you will definitely hear elements of that. I also go out and do a bit of DJ’ing, and my love on the dance floor is break beat music. At the moment I have some records coming out soon where we have done collaborations with some break beat mates of ours.”
usernick
Detached

Re: Interview with Phil Hartnoll

Post by usernick »

stargurl wrote:At the moment I have some records coming out soon where we have done collaborations with some break beat mates of ours.”
One of which is a collaboration with Aquasky:

Aquasky & Long Range (Aka Phil Orbital & Nick Smith) - Crosswire (Passenger)

(Played back in June on the Annie Nightingale show, which I missed... :( )
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Re: Interview with Phil Hartnoll

Post by Timbob »

usernick wrote:
Aquasky & Long Range (Aka Phil Orbital & Nick Smith) - Crosswire (Passenger)

(Played back in June on the Annie Nightingale show, which I missed... :( )
Surely someone must've recorded that? :shock:
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
stargurl
Geography group B

Post by stargurl »

Oooh I must hear that!
TheEmbryo
Novice

Post by TheEmbryo »

I spotted this interview in a cooking magazine:
Phil Hartnoll from Orbital talks to Kitchen Monthly about his new carving knife.

"I've got a lot of knives - vegetable knives, steak knives, fish knives, paring knives - but my new UltraCarv 4000 is definitely my favourite. I can slice through a roast chicken or joint of beef in minutes. It really takes the stress out of Sunday lunch," he says.

"Best of all", he adds, "you can buy it now from Slicers Direct who have a range of repayment plans to suit your budget. You'd be mental to miss out!"

Phil told us he hopes to release a new record soon.
:twisted: :D
stargurl
Geography group B

Post by stargurl »

Well I did get the interview from a product website ;)
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

TheEmbryo wrote:I spotted this interview in a cooking magazine:

hehehe
well, you know what they say.. celebrity sells!
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

TheEmbryo wrote:I spotted this interview in a cooking magazine:

hehehe
well, you know what they say.. celebrity sells!
jessopjessopjessop
LC1

Celebrities

Post by jessopjessopjessop »

This looks to be the first in a long line of dance music names becoming involved in household advertising. Here are some more:

Karl Hyde is featuring in a new Shake 'n' Vac TV advert.

Ulrich Schnauss is the lastest poster boy for Cilit Bang.

Kraftwerk are writing a new tune to promote 'Kraft Cheese Slices'.
Fact x Importance = News
stimpee
Saint

Re: Celebrities

Post by stimpee »

jessopjessopjessop wrote:This looks to be the first in a long line of dance music names becoming involved in household advertising. Here are some more:

Karl Hyde is featuring in a new Shake 'n' Vac TV advert.
Yeah, Karl is the King Of Shake.
stargurl
Geography group B

Post by stargurl »

I just laughed out loud.
In the library.

Someone stared. :D