'Glasto Crowd Is Too Old To Rock'

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

'Glasto Crowd Is Too Old To Rock'

Post by memly »

Hmmmm....

By Sky News SkyNews - Thursday, July 12 12:49 pm

"Oldies who want to leap about in the mud at next year's Glastonbury Festival are to get the cold shoulder - the organiser wants a more youthful crowd.

Michael Eavis, who is in his 70s, says he plans to attract younger people to the 2008 event because it had become "too middle-aged" and "respectable".

He believes the decision to sell tickets online for this year's mud-strewn event had attracted an older clientele, at the expense of teenagers.

Around 40% of tickets will be sold via phone lines next year to help get youths back to the legendary three-day event in Pilton, Somerset.

"We're trying to get the youngsters back, the 16, 17 and 18-year-olds, because numbers were down this year," Mr Eavis said.

"People say we're getting middle class, which is stretching it a bit far, but we're attracting a lot more people in their 30s and 40s and need to get the Radio One and NME crowd back in.

"The people who now come have the right attitude, they grin and bear the mud. They're fantastically well mannered and polite, and respectable, but they do change the nature of the show."

But Sky News' Rob Kirk - a 60-something who went to the festival for the first time this year - believes Mr Eavis risks throwing the baby out with the ditch-water.

"One of the great things about Glastonbury is its inclusiveness and its mix of all ages. He should be proud of it - and defend it.

"Sure, there were lots of over-40s. There were even some, like me, just over 60. I can even name three of them: Dame Shirley Bassey, Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend.

"And if they can perform on stage - and attract an audience of all ages - why can't people like me enjoy it too? And anyway, the kids around me during The Who knew all the words better than I did."
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

Aw, come on Eavis you pillock! Using [i]phones[/i] is going to bring back The Youth? Cos they never use the t'internet riiiiiight....

The age mix always has been very wide at glasto - some people have been going since it began. Hell I've been going for over 10 years!
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by memly »

Don't know how true that statement is. He must have been aware how many people would have been offended by that.

As you aknowledge Jimbo, they have as much of an oppurtunity as us 30/40 year olds of getting the golden ticket.

Christ I cant believe I'm in that bracket!
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK