Plaid & Bob Jaroc: Greedy Baby

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

Vadertech
Novice
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Plaid & Bob Jaroc: Greedy Baby

Post by Vadertech »

Surprised this hasn't been brought up yet. I ended up preordering it from warpmart and i must say it is quite different from the plaid we all know and adore. Of course the tracks still ahve that touch to em where u know its ed and andy playing. The tracks are more meandering, slow buildup, moody type tracks. I must say tho, excellent job on the videos by Bob. Especially To and E.M.R. my faves by far. Im interested to hear what everyone else thinks about it.
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Not seen the DVD as yet but been listening to the album on and off for a while. I think i posted in the now listening thread to say it wasnt their besy work. For me the melodies are not as uplifitinig or as constructive as Spokes which i really rate. It appears to be more of a experimental Plaid which for part of the album it works but the rest i didnt enjoy.

Their recent live set also follows suit with the album, very hit and miss.
Vadertech
Novice

Post by Vadertech »

Agree 100% Steve. The rhythms tend to make that attempt to build to something climactic like plaid have done oh so well in the past, but instead they drop off and seem to go nowhere. Personally im just very excited to have some new Plaid material in my grasp.
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

IMO "Spokes" was a great return to form for the Plaid lads. I dunno about this new album though, listening to it reminds me of the sinking feeling I get when I put on Autechre's "Confield" CD.

I guess it works better as a DVD, hope they'll return stronger with their next release :)
Never compromise your art, keep it close to your heart
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

I've still not got the DVD. I've heard people say that it works better with the visuals, but they'll have to be bloody stunning to make me sit and listen to the 6 truly awful tracks on that album... Worst thing Plaid have ever made, with the exception of the 3 killers on there...
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
TheEmbryo
Novice

Post by TheEmbryo »

Unfortunately the DVD is, in the main, spectactularly boring.

You know everything Orbital wanted to avoid when they made The Altogether DVD - you know, boring repeating patterns and so forth - well Bob Jaroc went ahead and did that anyway.

The Return of Super Barrio is quite a good video though.
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

Numanoid wrote:IMO "Spokes" was a great return to form for the Plaid lads. I dunno about this new album though, listening to it reminds me of the sinking feeling I get when I put on Autechre's "Confield" CD.
I have listened a lot to the album of late, and must admit that it is pretty darn good after all :)

There are some tracks at the end of it that rank among their best ever IMO!
Never compromise your art, keep it close to your heart
MarioColbert

Post by MarioColbert »

Super Positions + War Dialer > *.GreedyBaby
mscchhkkkNORDv3.03