Review of The Prodigy live gig in Helsinki

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Kvagga
Omen
Question: Orbital

Review of The Prodigy live gig in Helsinki

Post by Kvagga »

So yeah, here's my review: It kicked more ass than anyone thought could be even theoritically possible!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Okay I'll go a bit more into detail...

As some of you might know, Prodge has always been the only band that I rate even higher than Orbital. I've been into them since I was 10 or 11 and waiting patiently for them to pay a visit in my homeland. Last night my long wait was finally over and I got to see them. They were everything I had expected and even more. :D

Here's the setlist (copied from Nekosite):

intro
jericho
wake the f*ck up
no good fill
their law
hotride
breathe
spitfire
back 2 skool
firestarter
action radar link
warning
climbatize link
voodoo people '05

poison
smack my bitch up
out of space

Yes you read it right: they opened with Jericho! :shock: :D
Two (nicely tweeked) old rave tracks in a set in 2005 was way more than I could ask for, and the song selection was spot on also otherwise (they played all my favourites). What made me really happy, was that the really new tracks (back 2 skool & wake the f*ck up) were absolutely mindblowing too (way better than anything off AONO). And the set was full of weird fresh extra beats, transitions and stuff nicely remixed beyond recognition, including an odd but excellent version of climbatize. :D Of course the highlights of the evening for me were my two favourite tracks: Voodoo People and my top1 tune of all time, Smack My Bitch Up. :D

Keith, who by the way has really weird hair these days, and Maxim, regardless of their age, still had their trademark amazing stage-energy. I also got to dance my ass off, since I got pretty near the stage on the arena. :) I gotta give props to the sound system too: the amount off bass was enough to melt your brain, while the sound was still incredibly clear and sharp. Altogether it was a totally top night and my long time dream finally came true. When it comes to things that you got to do before you die, seeing the Prodge was right there at the top of my list. :)

The only dowside to the gig was the incredibly long line to our coats when leaving the event. They had organised the handing out of clothes left at the racks very badly and clearly hadn't hired enough people, considering the amount of folks that came to the venue. Took over an hour to get out of there and I had almost died of dehydration by that time. :x

After Prodge, I went to continue my rave-night at another live-concert, this time from Infected Mushroom. :) Of course it was nothing compared to my main act of the day, but since I'd gotten totally plastered by then, I continued having a proper good time. :wink:

Now some of my usual crappy blurry mobile phone pics:

Willsy
The Moebius

Post by Willsy »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Great review mate, thanks for that...going to see them in Bournemouth in a few weeks time and although i have been lucky enough to have seen the Prodge 6 times already i seriously cant wait for this coming singles tour gig as its been about 9years since i last heard them live!! :D
"You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really"
Nigel Tufnel talking about his song "Lick My Love Pump" - This Is Spinal Tap.

http://www.myspace.com/willsydesignuk
Kvagga
Omen

Post by Kvagga »

Thanks, and you're in for a treat then. :) I'd guess this must be one of their best tours (even though I haven't been to any previous ones), since they play all the best bits from their whole outstanding discography. :) Plus Liam's had a lot of time to update the shit out of everything, which makes things more interesting. :)
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

FAO Kvagga!!!

e-mail me please: K2nsl3r@yahoo.com , or give me a workable e-mail address! I tried mailing you a month ago, but I think it never got through. "rebound" ... :oops:
(I live in Espoo now.)

glad to see prodigy delivered... i personally couldn't be arsed, I'm rarely willing to pay more than a tenner for a musical act; call me miserly if you must. :roll:

great tracklisting though!
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake
Kvagga
Omen

Post by Kvagga »

E-mail sent. :) And welcome to Espoo! :D This is the place to be. Okay well apart from all the cities in non-cold countries... :P

And as you know, for me paying 48 euros wasn't really an issue, since I would've been pretty much ready to sell all my property to see them live once. :)

My wallet is looking mighty empty at the moment though. :P
Bolly
LC1

Post by Bolly »

Me and my wife are going to see them in Nottingham in December.
Can't wait! :D
Kvagga
Omen

Post by Kvagga »

Like I said: You're in for a blast. :) Watch out for your wife if you have standing area tickets (like you should) though, since because of the nature of the concert, bruise-inflicting shoulders should be in the air everywhere. :wink:
hippy dave
Meltdown

Re: Review of The Prodigy live gig in Helsinki

Post by hippy dave »

Kvagga wrote:The only dowside to the gig was the incredibly long line to our coats when leaving the event.
hehehe could be worse. the last time i saw the prodigy was the "secret" battersea power station gig at the end of the fat of the land tour (about 2 days before christmas '97) - it was actually in a marquee in the grounds of the power station, and there was no cloakroom. cue mosh pit full of people with jackets tied around their waists. felt particularly sorry for a guy i met up with who'd just been shopping and had to clutch a bag of presents to his chest for the entire gig...

i'm glad they're on form. seeing the prodigy suck live would depress me. also i've said before that i'm gagging to hear out of space live, having missed it the first time around. and better new material is great news :D

bunch of us are going to the manchester gig, bought tickets long before they recently announced the nottingham one. tits.
dance your cares away, worries for another day