Depeche Mode - Violated

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Dog
Detached
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Depeche Mode - Violated

Post by Dog »

http://www.depechemodeviolated.com/ - The classic... Updated!
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Some things shouldnt be touched...
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

Worth getting 'World In My Eyes' though... Done by a proper, 'ardcore DM fan (Actually, it was the bloke who hugged me at the Camden Autechre gig).
"Gimme the sight to see
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

much as i'm sure this shames me as a person... i'm not into dm so i don't know the originals. probably no point me checking out the remixes until i do.
:oops:

:P

dance your cares away, worries for another day
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Dog wrote:Worth getting 'World In My Eyes' though... Done by a proper, 'ardcore DM fan (Actually, it was the bloke who hugged me at the Camden Autechre gig).
I did listen to them all last night and i only remember one that i thought was going somewhere erm nearly as equally as worthy as the original. Alas that was last night so i have no idea which track it was but i will take another listen tonight.

Btw...a lot of them sound like they could do some interesting solo work but trying to mashup an album like this and take it somewhere positive would be too much for anyone with loads of talent.
stimpee
Saint

Post by stimpee »

just trying to grab the torrent now (its not working. looks like i'll have to grab the mp3s). im not sure whether messing with something like Violator is a good idea, though it hasnt stopped a load of dodgy remixers in the past. Just that they havent had the balls to release it as a whole album remixed.

i'll give it a listen.

I see there's 2 tracks missing from the remix album tho. Crucified and Interlude No.3. Not that you can do much with those.

a more interesting thing to do might be to take an album thats been roundly criticised and make it better/different, rather than taking an album that people would rather be left untouched and is widely regarded as a classic. my $0.02.
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Yes indeed. Violator is perfect in everyway. I love it !!!!

ricky
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

hippy dave wrote:much as i'm sure this shames me as a person... i'm not into dm so i don't know the originals. probably no point me checking out the remixes until i do.

:P

Don't be embarrassed - they've been going downhill ever since Vince Clark left...
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

2 tracks missing from the remix album tho. Crucified and Interlude No.3.
I've never come across those tracks on Violator. I can understand 'Interlude No3' being the bit before 'Policy Of Truth', but 'Crucified'???

Rich
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

World In My Eyes
Sweetest Perfection
Personal Jesus
Halo
Waiting For The Night
Enjoy The Silence
Crucified
Policy Of Truth
Blue Dress
Interlude Nr.3
Clean
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

Ah, right, thanks for that Loopz.

Just been listening to the remix album...hmmm...World in My Eyes and Halo are pretty good but that's about it. Sorry.

I've just put the original on and for what is essentially a downbeat album it's got such an uplifting feeling to it. And Enjoy The Silence is just one of the best songs ever written.

Rich
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

I've just got the Anton Corbijn 'Directors Series' DVD and he describes 'Enjoy The Silence' as the most beautiful piece of music he's evcer heard... It's an excellent DVD and well worth having.

As far as the remix album goes, I just thought people might like to hear what others have done with it... I wasn't involved with it, although I did think about having a crack at 'Waiting For The Night' at one point.

My favourite on the album has to be 'World In My Eyes' and not just because I know the guy who made it, but because it's a bloody good cover version. I've heard this very very loud in a club and it works really well. The vocals were done by a girl called Holestar, who might just be appearing on a Gary Numan cover in the not too distant future too... ;)
"Gimme the sight to see
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

While we're on the subject of reworked tracks from Violator:

On the bonus DVD that comes with Playing the Angel, there's an acoustic version of Clean that is absolutely beautiful. Even Fletch pitches in on bass. :)
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

I'd forgotten about the bonus disc!!! Will check that out tonight.
"Gimme the sight to see