Esem - Scateren: Finest free album u will download all year

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

stimpee
Saint
Question: Orbital

Esem - Scateren: Finest free album u will download all year

Post by stimpee »

An acquaintance of mine and Loopz's for a few years, George Marinov aka Esem has decided to release his third album online, (after two albums on Merck and DeFocus, and an appearance on the acclaimed Intelligent Toys compilation). While I was suprised at this, knowing he's been working on this for a long time Im delighted that its seen the light of day. Not only is this available online but it is available as a free download in both Ogg and Mp3 and as a podcast. I don't know what's happened to LP3 he was working on but he states that this isnt it... Anyway, all he asks is for you to send him a postcard or an email. Enjoy the music, here's the info and download:

Story

Scateren contains impulses, moments, snapshots, environments, interpretations, places to escape, ones i've been to, ones I long for, and ones I maybe just imagine; people i know, like, dislike, laughed with, hurt, was hurt by, fell in love with, ignored, met, followed.

In a way these 13 tracks are all scrambled. Some of them happened before the time they apply to. Others were perfect for their moment and remained good afterwards. One or two recreate a time long gone. They lack finish, polish, post production, decent mixing, mastering, etc, etc, etc. (etc.), all the things they say make a professional record. They are completely awash in reverb too. Oh and the ends are cut. I hope this will not prevent you from experiencing them, just as it did not stop me. I like them, and I am content to have them shared.

Indeed.

Free Audio

I have mixed feelings towards the recording industry at this point. I do not particularly agree to the model and I do not exactly like the patterns. Go grab a Nano and hold it. Feel how things are becoming obsolete, much quicker than one can handle. I was offered to have these commercially released, but that is not something I would now be happy with.

Then there's the music vs money issue. Well I did not conceive the music with money in mind so why should you pay for it anyway? I, like you, enjoy a good freebie. So here`s your treat. Grab Scateren, spread it, make a CD for your car and friends. (Don't charge or you will burn in hell.)

Plus, this way it will never run out of stock. It will never get dusty on your shelf. Or if you make and lose a CD, you can always recreate it from the files. And last, I don't think I kept the originals anyway. So, if you feel you're stuck with compressed audio, then tough.

Download

This release is originally available in high quality OGG format. To download from Kahvi, click here.
Additionally, these MP3 versions will be available for a limited time only.

mp3's here

On a personal level, I'm sad to see George sounding a bit disillusioned with the music industry and I would liked to have seen this album get a full CD release and I can only hope that releasing it this way will get more people to listen his music. I first heard an outstanding track from this album, Dispehrse about 2.5 years ago and it still sounds as emotional now as it did then. I can't recommend this album enough, and of course I hope it leads people into buying some of his other work because Esem deserves recognition for his outstanding work. If you like it, you can get his main previous works Enveloped, Ikae and Serial Human online from smallfish.co.uk.

Additionally, I noticed that there was a thread announcing the streaming of the album last week and yet it only got 23 views and 0 replies. How come? Download this album, print out the artwork, and give copies to friends!
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

downloading...
dance your cares away, worries for another day
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

"perpetual state of moseley"

Omg. I see stoping in Birmingham for a while has made an impact :)

also downloading...
chrisal

Post by chrisal »

Downloading now.....
stimpee
Saint

Post by stimpee »

any opinions? could any of you be bothered to download this?
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Well you can see some have by the replies. I played one track on the broadcast but i havent as yet listened to the album all the way through. What do you think Stimpee :P
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

stimpee wrote:any opinions? could any of you be bothered to download this?
Thanks for the link, there are some really nice tracks on this one :) A friend gave me a DVD of stuff he had downloaded from netlabels recently. I'm pretty amazed how good the quality of most of the stuff is, labels like Camomille Music, Kahvi, Ndorphin, Acedia, TonAtom (etc. etc.) deal in quality music :)

The only problem is that there just isn't enough hours in the day to listen properly to it all :(
Never compromise your art, keep it close to your heart
stimpee
Saint

Post by stimpee »

Loopz: i knew you would have listened to it. This thread just didnt seem to generate much interest from others thats all, and thats a disappointment.

As for my opinion, I love this album. I've had chance to listen to it now. There are some real gems on there. the last two tracks have a great warmth. I did mention Dispehrse in the original post, but Perpetual State Of Moseley and Laid Egg are just so beautiful and melodic. 80 20 30 51 is also simple but atmospheric. i like the odd beat it has and it builds up and gives off a spooky feel.

Numanoid: There's a lot of stuff out there that far outstrips the commercial stuff and Kahvi and Sutemos are my main sources. The new Stockfinster album has displaced this Esem album on my playlist in the last few days. Its an excellent chilled album.
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

I've managed to get around to listening to it so i will post thoughts over the next few days. Playing another track at the weekend broadcast though :)
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Got hold of this yesterday. Will let you know my thoughts when i listern to it proper.

ricky
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

Dispehrse is my favourite on the album, that song warms my heart :)
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

stimpee wrote:The new Stockfinster album
Can you give the link to that album?
stimpee
Saint

Post by stimpee »

Numanoid: you can find it at sutemos.net.
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

I downloaded the Stockfinister album and have listened to it. It's good but I prefer the Esem one to it. Stockfinister is a more "conventional" release with vocals and stuff (like mouthorgans!), which in parts can be labelled as postrock. Nothing wrong with that of course, I'm no purist but I like Esem's electronic approach better.

Anyhow, both releases (and many others with them) just goes to prove the high quality of net label outputs, may it continue for a long time :)
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Ahhhh, with the wedding & everything I forgot all about this. I'm downloading it now & will give it a good listen tomorrow.

I get back to you & Georgi ASAP.
OUT
OF
STEP