bit of a weird question

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

steve oc

bit of a weird question

Post by steve oc »

If i buy an orbital album now do orbital get any of the money, or is it just the shop i buy it from that gets the money as they have already payed orbital for the album?

I know its a weird question but its really wreckin my head.
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by memly »

Probably 0.001 pence or a very insignificant figure.
the record/distribution companies gets most of the money.

There is a lot of money that record companies need to recoup before the artists get a whiff of the money.

Like the advance the label may have given the artist to record a certain amount of Albums.
Also promotion and ardvertising can be recouperated from album sales to my knowledge.

Obviously if the album doesnt hit its targets this can leave the record company and artist severely out of pocket.

I would assume all these factors are discussed when an artist gets signed.
But even if you are lucky enough to get a deal, it is entirely down to the record company whether it gets released at all.

And you cant approach another label with the material as it belongs to whoever signed you up in the first place.

I think this is generally the case anyway.

It also depends which Orbital Abum you have bought.
The Blue album was released on "Orbital music Ltd". I would assume they would recieve more money per unit in this case as there is no major record label taking a share of the profit, although distribution costs would still have to be settled.

I am sure there are quite a few people on here that know the system a lot better than me.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
legspin
Open Mind
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by legspin »

It depends on whether they wrote was is on the album. If yes then they get both the writers royalties, which apart from what the shop takes is the biggest portion of the cost, and the mechanicals, which is payment for that version of the tune
eg. The Altogether. they will get both royalties off of all the tracks bar Doctor ? for which they will receive just the mechanicals. Altough it's not much in comparison to the writing royalties this is how the average boy band will make thier money.
It's the shop that receives the biggest portion (upto 50% and more of the retail price)
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.