Leftfield - 'A Final Hit' Best Of

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Roni's Thighs

Leftfield - 'A Final Hit' Best Of

Post by Roni's Thighs »

LEFTFIELD TO RELEASE BEST OF COMPILATION

LEFTFIELD are to release a best of compilation to coincide with the tenth anniversary of their debut album.

’A Final Hit’ is out on October 3, and comes ten years after the release of their debut album ’Leftism’.

’A Final Hit’ will feature their early hard-to-find 12” releases ’Not Forgotten’ and ’More Than I Know’ alongside their hits, including Open Up’ which features John Lydon.

A limited edition version of the album comes with a bonus DVD and includes videos for ’Open Up’, ’Original’, ’Afro Left’, ’Release The Pressure’, ’Afrika Shox’, ’Dusted’ and ’Swords’.

Bandmember Neil Barnes said: “I had never sat down and listened to the music that spanned our career in this way before. The essence of Leftfield was to simply make exciting music, push back some boundaries, and to take creative steps forward. We had some great fun on the way.”

The tracklisting runs:

* ‘Release The Pressure’
* ‘Afro-Left’
* ‘Song Of Life’
* ‘Original’
* ‘Storm 3000’
* ‘Open Up’
* ‘Dusted’
* ‘Phat Planet’
* ‘Afrika Shox’
* ‘Not Forgotten’
* ‘A Final Hit’
* ‘Swords’
* ‘Shallow Grave’
* ‘Snakeblood’
* ‘More Than I Know’

Leftfield formed in 1990 and their 1995 debut album 'Leftism' is widely regarded as a landmark album in dance music. The follow-up, 'Rhythm And Stealth', was released in 2000.

The group also became renowned as remixers, working with the likes of Roots Manuva and David Bowie.
http://www.nme.com/news/113420.htm

I like that. I'd of liked that alot if they had Inspection on there, but apart from that I like that .
purlieu
Novice
Question: Orbital

Post by purlieu »

A best-of? They only released two albums!
Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

purlieu wrote:A best-of? They only released two albums!
as long as they can earn a few bucks with it, it shall be released. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
stylustrouble
Adnan

Post by stylustrouble »

Worth getting just for 'not forgotten',an absolute gem of a track.
angrylittlesoldier

Post by angrylittlesoldier »

and snakeblood - hard to find so its good that they are releasing it. in fact looking at the tracklisting they have made an effort to include the hard to find tunes so fair play to them. i hope they do make a few bob from it.
chemical_si
Novice

Post by chemical_si »

fucking brilliant
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

Yea, I concur with purlieu here... Maybe there's a couple of rarities, but it's still more like a re-issue of their two albums, with half of the tracks missing - hence, even worse than buying the two albums themselves for low price. :oops:

I mean, according to the sources, "the tracklisting runs" as follows: (Is this the order of the tracks as well?)

* '‘Release The Pressure’ (TR1 of Leftism)
* ‘Afro-Left’ (TR2 of Leftism)
* ‘Song Of Life’ (TR 4 of Leftismi)
* ‘Original’ (TR 5 of Leftism)
* ‘Storm 3000’ (TR9 of Leftism)
* ‘Open Up’ (TR 10 of Leftism)
* ‘Dusted’ (TR1 of R&S [=Rhythm&Stealth])
* ‘Phat Planet’ (TR2 of R&S)
* ‘Afrika Shox’ (TR6 of R&S)
* ‘Not Forgotten’ ?
* ‘A Final Hit’ ?
* ‘Swords’ ? (TR8 of R&S)
* ‘Shallow Grave’ ?
* ‘Snakeblood’ ?
* ‘More Than I Know’ ?

... See my point? :roll:

Okay, so it's got half of the tracks on Leftism (6 out of 11!!!!), and nearly a half (4 out of 10) of the arguably inferior R&S, plus a few (thankfully not only one or two) non-album tracks.

So it's a CD-length re-issue of the "best sides" of these two albums. I hope it's at least inexpensive.

But, if someone DOES see a point in purchasing this (for the "rare gems", or the DVD, or whatever), I don't mind.

Plenty of good tracks. Plus, at least Africa Shox is a great video. I don't think I've seen the rest, to tell the truth! :shock:

I remember discussing the possibility of a Leftfield Best-Of, and I argued against its value - but what do I know, I guess the only value for the artist is the amount it sells. (I'm not saying Leftfield have "sold out"; perhaps they deserve some extra pennies.)
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake
stimpee
Saint

Post by stimpee »

Hopefully this will sell a bucketload and then they'll release a remix box set or sumthin. i'll be buyin it for the DVD.
Bolly
LC1

Post by Bolly »

I'm Getting That!!! :D