Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

jessopjessopjessop
LC1

new

Post by jessopjessopjessop »

I'm not a massive fan of BoC, but with good reviews here and some beautiful artwork, I decided to pick up 'Campfire'.

I wasn't disappointed! In fact, it's gorgeous. It's more distinctive and accessible than 'MHARTC', which is a little samey at times. I don't really know Geogaddi, so I may well buy that too, on the strength of this one.
Fact x Importance = News
shadyboy
Oolaa
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by shadyboy »

They are going to do a mini tour next year apparently and also Dayvan Cowboy is going to be the first single.
purlieu
Novice

Post by purlieu »

Right, after a couple of weeks I've given the album a fair listen, and I like it more than MHTRTC, but not as much as Geogaddi. Half of it bores the fuck out of me, some of the most uninspired tripe I've ever heard. The other half ranges from pleasant to stunningly beautiful.
So pretty much just BoC, really.
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

I've given it only 2½ proper listens, although I've had it for two weeks now, but I definitely wasn't disappointed.

The hype (and counter-hype) about the guitars and the stuff about increased accessibility nearly put me off before I listened to it, but it proved out to be just so much hype, after all.

It's not that different from previous BoC! And I'm fine by that. The way they use the guitars - it's just like any other instrument in their repertoire.

So far I'd give it an 8 out of 10, as opposed to 9½ for Geogaddi and 9 for MHTRTC, but I expect that to change, probably to the positive. The thing that puts the number down a bit is the amount of fading out they use, and the fact that the second half is indeed somewhat incomplete. (Still, it ends on a perfect note, what with the last two tracks being so helplessly gorgeous.)

peacock tail, satellite anthem icarus, dayvan cowboy, chromakey dreamcoat, '84 pontiac dream, oscar see through red eye... these are faultless BoC highlights no doubt!
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

peacock tail is def my favourite but i love Sherbert Head, satellite anthem icarus, dayvan cowboy and the extra Japanese track is lovely too...
Mashed Potatoes? Why do hate mashed potatoes? (It's a hoax, I don't really hate them)
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

me wants extra japanese turakku :(
bliss

Post by bliss »

Satellite Anthem Icarus is my favorite at the moment. The section towards the end reminds me of Orbital.

I have done a quick remix of A Moment of Clarity if anyone want's to have a listen:

AMoC - Perfect Dark Mix - 6.6mb - 192k mp3 file

It's a little rough and bass heavy. And yes, it does sound a little too close to a BoC track :)
Last.fm - Planet Bliss on last.fm

Planet Bliss - SoundCloud - Chilled Electronic Music
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

I agree: the japanese track is pretty neat - reminds me, a bit, of Zoetrope! :P

Even real zoetropes are nice, they give you a headspin. I want one.

oh, and thank you, person.... :)
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

Just want to tip you about "14 Is My Number 1" (maybe that's a name in honour of Thierry Henry? 8) ) over at Electromancer:
http://www.electromancer.com/artist.php?id=1103042095

Some of their tracks are so gorgeously Boards Of Canada-like, it's hard to believe it's not the real deal.
Never compromise your art, keep it close to your heart
bliss

Post by bliss »

Numanoid wrote:Just want to tip you about "14 Is My Number 1" (maybe that's a name in honour of Thierry Henry? 8) ) over at Electromancer:
http://www.electromancer.com/artist.php?id=1103042095

Some of their tracks are so gorgeously Boards Of Canada-like, it's hard to believe it's not the real deal.
Good find Numanoid. I relly liked the second track "the world is a computer game". It sounds like a cross between Orbital and an old chiptune. "the black twig of darkness" sounds a little too close to boc though.
Last.fm - Planet Bliss on last.fm

Planet Bliss - SoundCloud - Chilled Electronic Music
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Had my first proper listen to it last night. The stuff that they got right is inspired, the rest is just about adequate, which is BoC all over :)
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Willsy
The Moebius

Post by Willsy »

Woke up listening to this ... combined with the snow outside and the warmth of my bed it was hard to get up this morning!! :D
"You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really"
Nigel Tufnel talking about his song "Lick My Love Pump" - This Is Spinal Tap.

http://www.myspace.com/willsydesignuk