Techie help badly needed (dj related)!!!!

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

RickySteamBoat
Saint
Question: Orbital

Techie help badly needed (dj related)!!!!

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Hi all,
I am a relative newcomer to this and am desperate for a bit of help. I am tring to get some virtual decks (for mixing mp3's) working on my PC, the program is 'Traktor Dj systems'.
The way my pc is set up is that I have 2 single channel sound cards feeding into a mixer. However, the virtual decks program only appears to allow me to to select (or work with) one multichannel sound card. So hence there is only one channel feeding into the mixer.
Does anyone use this particular program and know a way of getting around this or.............
does anyone use a different program for mixing mp3's that they can recommend 'one that will allow me to use 2 separate single channel sound cards'

anyone that can help me with this will recieve loads of of good karma!!!

and it will me very much appreciated
I"M DESPERATE....PLEASE HELP!!!!

ricky
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

I've just got the latest version (2.6.1) of Traktor and I'm afraid to say that I don't believe it supports multiple soundcards. It will support multiple channels on one soundcard.

Do you have to use the 'External Mixer' option? Can you not just get a stereo output from traktor?

I admit it is limited - even won't allow you to use a second soundcard for monitoring....

I can't say i know of any other similar programs which support multiple soundcards....I use a Maya 7.1 which allows 8 discrete channels, which is more than enough.

Rich
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

tcb2000 wrote:I've just got the latest version (2.6.1) of Traktor and I'm afraid to say that I don't believe it supports multiple soundcards. It will support multiple channels on one soundcard.

Do you have to use the 'External Mixer' option? Can you not just get a stereo output from traktor?

I admit it is limited - even won't allow you to use a second soundcard for monitoring....

I can't say i know of any other similar programs which support multiple soundcards....I use a Maya 7.1 which allows 8 discrete channels, which is more than enough.

Rich
thanks for your quick reply rich,

"Do you have to use the 'External Mixer' option? "
Yeah, i guess i could use Traktors inbuilt mixing functionality, but I've got a slick little mixer that i'm dying to use and I guess i just want the more hands on approach.

if anyone else reading this has any ideas for me...please help me...MY HEAD IS WRECKED!!!!
Dog
Detached
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Dog »

Rich is right, Traktor will no longer support multiple audio devices. It will let you split the channels on a device that can output 5.1 etc.

The other alternative is to get something like the Hercules DJ console (although it doesn't seem to work properly with Traktor) or the new Behringer MIDI DJ controller...
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Hercules = Crap.

At least with Traktor.
You can get an external/usb sound device like the M-audio Quattro for pretty cheap these days. A real mixer is VERY nice but unless you have a midi/usb mixer you're losing lot of Traktor better functions. I use my keyboard mostly & now that I've gotten more familiar with the feel of it, it's quite flexible.
OUT
OF
STEP
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

"Gimme the sight to see
Emmet
Saint

Post by Emmet »

the PLA wrote:Hercules = Crap.
I've got one and they're not that bad....it does everything I want it to do.
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Are you using it with Traktor? That's where people have been having all sorts of problems, especially when it comes to recording the midi output.

If I ever get a controller for Traktor it will probably be the Fader Fox. Specially made for Traktor, price isn't too steep either.

They also make a nice looking Ableton controller too.
OUT
OF
STEP
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

Take a look at the Behringer one... Lovely! Those FaderFox controllers were featured in the last issue of Computer Music too...

I had all sorts of problems with the Hercules and Traktor. Half the controls just wouldn't map!
"Gimme the sight to see
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

If only Behringer would pull their finger out of their arse and get the product in stores would be nice. :)
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
RickySteamBoat
Saint

help

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Thanks for all the input, fellas.
Because I stubornly want to hold on to my mixer (its just more fun having practical manual control over the sound), i have persisted with my search for mp3 mixing software that allows multiple soundcard feeds.
Wasn't to keen
I finally found one its a freebie from http://www.deejaysystem.com/

Its pretty damn good considering that it is has very basic cueing functionality etc....

anywho, thanks for the help:)