How many times have you seen Orbital?

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

tedgooner
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

How many times have you seen Orbital?

Post by tedgooner »

I've been to so many bands up and down the UK but these brothers are the guys I have most affection for, and most affinity with. I'm so glad they're back. So, I've lost track: went to see them first in August 95 (I think...at Earth Energy Festival in Croydon) but I may be confused about dates. Wish I'd kept the ticket.

I bought vinyl from 87 onwards...got an early promo of Chime from A1 stores in the Walworth road back in 89 - apologies for dates; it was a long time ago. Loved the Green and Brown albums. Never got into Snivilisation: was so busy living and travelling in 93/94 -but In-Sides came along in 95 and caught my breath away. It was the album of a generation for me: nothing has topped it since. I bought the cassette version while working at HMV in Bond Street. I still love it as much now as in 1995 - it's surely the landmark of it's generation. I still enjoy Prodigy, Chems, Underworld, Leftfield but this is the album I revisit, time after time.

Anyway, after seeing Orbital in 1995, Ive seen them a few times. At random:

Big Chill
Brixton x X
Hammersmith x X
Southampton
Brighton
Ally Pally
Pompey
Southampton (?)
Shoreditch
Birmingham
manchester

The drugs and alcohol don't help - I couldn't name when.. but I had Martin and Lee Wharton, Claire, Jason, Lydia, my 10 year old nephew (Michael), Adam, Chris, Bradley..all to see and pay for amazing shows.

you always put on a show: looking forward to The Royal Albert Hall. I sent my mate James a text saying I got a ticket and he almost s==t himself.

Lots of love to you guys,

Ted xx
memly
Meltdown

Re: How many times have you seen Orbital?

Post by memly »

Hi Ted! Great first post :)
I was actually wondering myself how many Orbital gigs I have been to (and how many I actually remember!) so here goes:

Glastonbury 94
Glastonbury 95
Tribal Gathering 97
Alexandra Palace NYE 97
Glastonbury 99
V99
Southampton Civic Centre 99
Hammersmith Palais 2000
London Arena NYE 2000
Hackney Ocean 2001
Portsmouth 2001
Somerset House 2002
Glastonbury 2002
Brixton Academy 2004
Glastonbury 2004
Brighton 2009
BIg Chill 2009
Did they do Brixton Academy on the comeback tour? If so, does anybody remember seeing me there? ...confused.
*edit* I remember now, yes I did go to this.
Guilfest 2010
Maida Vale (the other week 8) )
Cambridge (Next week!!!)
Pretty sure thats the majority of them... maybe a few more but I cant remember!!
Last edited by memly on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
TheEmbryo
Novice

Post by TheEmbryo »

Only 12 for me so far (well, as of next week it will be), but then I "only" got into Orbital in 2000 :)

London Arena NYE 2000
Maida Vale 2001
Brixton 2001
Somerset House 2002
T in the Park 2004
Brixton 2004
Maida Vale 2004
Big Chill 2009
Brixton 2009 (twice)
Maida Vale 2012
Royal Albert Hall 2012
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

I haven't got the time to list mine but by the time I see them in Sydney next month that will be my 50th Orbital gig. Although I have just received a very late email saying I've won tickets for Brighton so Melbourne might be my 50th...although I could do Leeds too...which would make the Royal Albert Hall next week my 50th... :nerd :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Badger wrote:I haven't got the time to list mine but by the time I see them in Sydney next month that will be my 50th Orbital gig. Although I have just received a very late email saying I've won tickets for Brighton so Melbourne might be my 50th...although I could do Leeds too...which would make the Royal Albert Hall next week my 50th... :nerd :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:
I think you owe it to yourself to make the RAH the fiftieth Badger.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

legspin wrote: I think you owe it to yourself to make the RAH the fiftieth Badger.
I was thinking that Rich but trying to figure out Brighton tomorrow and if its worth it at the minute. And Leeds well Nick has a spare ticket...will increase my spending a bit though.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
jefffinsd

Post by jefffinsd »

Since I live in the USA, specifically San Diego, California, I’ve only had the pleasure of seeing Orbital 8 times. Back in 1992 when they toured with Meat Beat Manifesto and Ultramarine was my first exposure to them. This was followed by probably one the of best electronic festival lineups you could ever ask for – Organic 96 in the Big Bear Mountains, which included Loop Guru, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Orbital and The Orb. I then saw them twice more in Los Angeles the same year. A couple years later to support the Middle of Nowhere album I saw them perform in San Diego and a couple nights later in Long Beach. They finally returned to the U.S.A. for their Altogether album and I saw them play in Hollywood, CA. I still have their black tour shirt with the album cover of the x-rayed heads/torches. I love this shirt as it glows in the dark and I get to bust it out for Halloween with my groovy black light. I would not see them again until 2010 when they hit up San Francisco before the Coachella festival. I was finally able to take my wife to see them play and while I think she enjoyed the show overall, I was unable to fully convert her into an Orbital fanatic :cry:.

I am hoping and crossing fingers that Orbital make their way back to the states, so I can experience their live magic once more. Please come back to the U.S.A., you have a lot of fans out here!
thehitcher
Novice

Post by thehitcher »

Got into them when in 2002 at 14 (kinda got me into music) but had to wait for there return to see them. Because of that i have only seen them twice, on the 19 September 2009 at Manchester Academy and then Sheffield Academy 23/9/09. Leeds on friday will be my third. I think if your doing manchester badger you might as well pop over to leeds
vvt23
Novice
Anti Spam: orbital

Post by vvt23 »

I'm not sure i could name them all, but i would guess at about 20+ times.

Starting with Glastonbury 1995.
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

thanks to memly for the memory jog...

Glastonbury - every year they've done it since 95
Brixton Academy - every year they've done it since 95
Tribal Gathering 97
Alexandra Palace NYE 97
Homelands (2001?)
Bristol (2001?)
Somerset House 2002
Brighton 2009
BIg Chill 2009
Manchester 2009
Dublin 2009/10 (x2)
Maida Vale (the other week )

just waiting for red ronnie to come on and regale us with his 60+ count...
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
nightfloat

Post by nightfloat »

Zero. :( Really hoping they will add non-festival dates in Germany! I wanted to get tickets to Amsterdam or Brussels but while I was trying to find cheap accomodations (not easy in those cities) they both sold out, and I can't pay the cost of travel/rooms without knowing I'll definitely have a ticket!
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Point '96
Olympia ''99 x 2
Mosnia '00
Point '01
Point '02
Big Chill
Electric Picnic '09
Manchester '09
Tripod 09 x 2
DJ set Galway '11
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
ZadTheImpaler

Post by ZadTheImpaler »

Seen them 2 times so far, first @ Brixton Accademy in 1990 (I think) supporting The Shamen etc and secondly in September 2009 at Brixton Accademy. Off to see them next week at the Royal Albert Hall, can't wait :)
Karnorjax
Oolaa

Post by Karnorjax »

Got into Orbital circa 94 after seeing them on Glasto on TV and then promptly went to Our Price and bought Sniv and the previous abums when I had the cash as I was at college

Finally got to see them live on the Altogether tour in bristol where I also discoveved the plump DJs.

Bristol 2001
Somerset House 2002
Brixton 2009 x2

Paul - Ideal Condition - Camden roundhouse
Phil DJ x2 bristol and brixton
Longrange - Brighton lit festival and bath festival

Maida Vale the other week

so stupidly only 5 so far as orbital but roll on RAH ! just a shame theres no SW gigs at all its london east and Up north ....
Is there anyone there ??????? IS THERE ANYONE THERE !!!!!
tezleyflahflah
Saint

Post by tezleyflahflah »

Tonight will be the 52nd for me and Wend. The Albert Hall on Tuesday will be number 55.
Got every single ticket as well! :nerd