Orbital on BBC6 ALL day this Friday (16th March)

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

legspin
Open Mind
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: Orbital on BBC6 ALL day this Friday (16th March)

Post by legspin »

geedub wrote:Is it me or is Beezledub just a dubstep version of Satan? or was it wrongly titled by BBC?
I had assumed that Beezledub was going to be a reworking of Beezlebeat.
All sounded good at Maida Vale anyway - managed to be the last person in before they shut the doors - phew :D
No it's not just you.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
geedub

Post by geedub »

memly wrote:
Geedub: What was your ticket number? Were you far back in the queue outside?
I was Standby 16 - my heart went out to the Standby 17 guy :cry:
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

[/quote]

I was Standby 16 - my heart went out to the Standby 17 guy :cry:[/quote]

Yep, That was me! Never mind. Must take these setbacks philosophically (by numbers)
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Think I might change my name on here to 'Standby 17'
:wink:

geedub

Post by geedub »

donkey rhubarb wrote:Think I might change my name on here to 'Standby 17'
:wink:
awww - bad news - it sounded ominous for you when the old guy suggested you might not make it in but got me worried too. I thought it might be a more complete live set so at least you didnt miss out on that. Gotta get there earlier for the 6music 20th birthday I guess :shock:
nightfloat

Post by nightfloat »

vvt23 wrote:The only track i wasn't too sure about in the set was never, i like it don't get me wrong but it sounded a bit flat after the other tracks, maybe thats just cos i wanted to carry on raving to big fat squelchy beats.
I wasn't able to stream the video live, but I can stream what's up on the site now - everything's there except One Big Moment and Sad But True. (boo!) I agree that the segue from Beelzedub to Never was a little clunky. Never in general didn't sound as good to me as the album version, but it did get better and was great by the last couple of minutes. Wish I could have heard Sad But True!
Karnorjax
Oolaa

Post by Karnorjax »

SUPERB little gig.. really enjoyed it and the post gig catch up in the pub down the road.. sorry I had to rush off didnt book enuff parking... which was only £4.20 for 3 hours bang outside of the studios ..

Ive uploaded a loada pix on my http://www.facebook.com/karnorjax and some other things

superb to hear them back on top form and still tinkering with their classics..

sad but true was STUNNING... sniv was my first orbital album I ever bought after seeing them on telly at glasto that year so the whole album is something a little special for me.
Is there anyone there ??????? IS THERE ANYONE THERE !!!!!
Sysagent

Post by Sysagent »

Hi there,

Long time lurker and even longer time Orbital fan.

Managed to record the Red button show and I am just in process of trying to make sense of the iPlayer repeat of the the live coverage (it's a nightmare) and getting that in some form of listenable recording.

I think I am right in saying that on the iPlayer show they only have four songs on there live, I think they start the live coverage with One Big Moment then Straight Sun (wouldn't know for sure never having heard them before), there's then some chat and then its off into Halcyon Parts 1 & 2 and then that's it end of as far as I can make out...

On the Red Button show we get a few more tracks thrown in Beelzedub and Never but it misses out Sad but True and then the show ends on Never, but starts with Straight Sun (I think).

Christ what a mess.

Could do with a complete show in one take but I don't think we are going to be treated to it unfortunately.

Sys
Carpathian

Post by Carpathian »

Yeah, having all sorts of grief here too. The rips from the 6music website seem to have errors in (possibly my ripping tools) so video playing dies in a couple of places meaning getting all 34min odd in one chunk is nigh on impossible for me.

Add to that the volume levels, compression etc being obviously different between the parts on the radio and the parts on video/stream only and this has me pulling my hair out at the moment like trying to assemble red Lego & red Meccano together.

Anybody having more luck towards a single live MP3 set ?
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

donkey rhubarb wrote:
I was Standby 16 - my heart went out to the Standby 17 guy :cry:[/quote]

Yep, That was me! Never mind. Must take these setbacks philosophically (by numbers)[/quote]

I really feel for you mate. I was very concerned about not being close enough to the door. I would have been very gutted.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

how many people didnt get in?
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

memly wrote:
I really feel for you mate. I was very concerned about not being close enough to the door. I would have been very gutted.
Cheers mate.

It was my wander off piste out of the tube to get a packet of fags what done it. Cost me that crucial 2 or 3 minutes. On the other hand that would only have meant that my gain was somebody elses loss. Its a funny ol' game!

I was quite surprised by the numbers that didn't get in though. I saw the disclaimer but I, perhaps in hindsight somewhat, naively, thought that might result in a handful of disappointed people. As it was I'd estimate at least 30 of us didn't make it. 'Gutted' or, words to that effect, sums up my reaction too.

What I did find amusing was how everyone was very 'British' about it though. Standby 18 exhaled a mild expletive whereas Standbys 19 and 20 performed mild tutting sounds before wandering back down Delaware road!!! :wink:

Broadly speaking there was not the outward expression of anger one might expect, more resigned bemusement.

Obviously would have been blinding to have got in and seen them in such a small, intimate venue but such is life. Far more important is the fact that I'm loving the new material and really looking forward to the tour now.

donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Badger wrote:how many people didnt get in?
I would estimate there was somewhere between 30 and 40 behind me in the queue.

Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Crap! How many actually got in then?
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Badger wrote:Crap! How many actually got in then?

Well others here my be able to give you more accurate figures than me but I'd reckon there were about 80 people ahead of me in the queue but I'm guessing there really - I didn't count!

Basically it looks to me like the bbc massively over-allocated tickets. Those of us who 'won' tickets in the bbc ballot all got a ticket with the following disclaimer.

'Admission is on a first-come-first-served basis. As not everyone who asks for tickets uses them, to make sure we have a full house we send out more tickets than there are places. We do our best to get the numbers right, but unfortunately we occasionally have to disappoint people. We can't guarantee that
you'll get in.'

To be fair we were therefore all aware of the risks but I must admit to being a bit miffed at the the extent to which they misjudged it. Had I been one of say 8 or 10 unlucky people then I could understand a bit better but this was Orbital doing a one off mini gig at Maida Vale - of course everyone who had a ticket would show up!!!

Ho Hum.