SPOILER: New set videos 2010

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

user name
Saint

Re: SPOILER: New set videos 2010

Post by user name »

while i see your point about it being easier to program with abelton than mmt 8 s it's still a simplistic view of what thier up to on stage you may have noticed they dont really stop during the set probably using one abelton project with many songs in it , and while it would be easy if they were doing a 'lap top ' only set with no out board gear they actually have loads of analog synths up there not forgeting the lemurs acting as the mmt8 buttons , as an electronic musition myself i find it mind bogolling to think of all thoes control numbers and things needed to flow between lemurs to computer to an aray of synths , some of whch dont have any memorys!

sure if it were one abelton project, one lemur surface they could in theory choose to mix it up but you'd have no seamles playing , bit of a trade off...
JIMBO wrote:I'm willing to bet that it's a breeze compared to the MMT8 days - just look how quickly P&P sketched out new bits and bobs for songs inbetween gigs on the winter tour. THIS is what frustrates me about them sticking to a rigid set list - they now have the power to change this! And without wanting to sound like a snob I'd like to think that the Glasto gigs should be very special and 'different' to any other festival set they play.
with all dew respect i dont think its a breeze exactly, certainly easier , but bear in mind all their old stuff is on mmt 8s or atari so you have the problem of coverting it all up to abelton!!! so i dont think the power to change this is theirs yet! but i guess as the songs are converted/played in the future this may become easier...and new tracks would certainly be easier , hang on , maybe thats why thier playing their new stuff :lol:

and too late you do sound like a snob :lol: why should glastonbury get any more special treatment than say wisemans ferry?
seriously though i do know its a special gig for orbital having played there a lot so i'm sure they will not take it litely .

but you really should see the big picture, why dont bands change thier sets around all the time ? surely you would think guitar bands could do it? or electronic bands that just juggle a few stems?
well its to do with a bitmore than just what 'can be done tecnically' there is rehursal time to think about no one plays with out rehursal. light shows to plan and program, and in the case of orbital video shows to plan around all this, i think the diference between shows comes from contiually playing the 'same' set in a diferent and dveloping way over time , doesn't adding 2 new tracks to the set constitute a non rigid set anyway!?! not forgetting the tweeked ending to satan that they did at the I.O.W?

to be fair if i was going to see a band 3 time in a year id probably want them to change the set a bit but reallity is that doesn't really happen, doesnt happen with comedians either and all their doing is standing on stage talking ! you'd think they'd mix it up abit , but you'd be amazed how many times ive heard people complain that thier favourite comedian did the same set during the same year.

and another thing :lol: ( sorry im still in a bad mood , although strangly in begining to feel better! ) whats with all the 'probably be their last headline slot for Eavis' why do you say that? jesus! talk about putting the coffin nails in :tut
and with them about to write a super new album.
gaud bless you for likeing tention though i couldnt agree more would be a great one to play and are we here, still all in good time eh?

as memly said we all go and see orbital a bit too much for our own good :lol: maybe we could all meet up at the front of stevie wonder after all, on balance perhaps not for me , think i'll be right up there with my own headlights on!
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by memly »

user name wrote:as memly said we all go and see orbital a bit too much for our own good :lol:
I didnt quite say it like that!
I'm perfectly happy seeing them a few times more...
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

lol. One thing i do know after years of Orbital activity, Orbital fans are so fickle! Yes, i am also refering to my goodself. There are many things i would want to see/hear but i know these choice of tracks are not just spur of the moment decisions. So much hard work goes into the preparation and it's a delight to see / hear the end result played over and over again. IMHO i am just glad we still have the 2 wise men standing behind an array of hardware producing quality sounds that other artists envy. By all means moan about everything you want from the new torchspecs to Phil's goatee beard but please be happy that Orbital are still here and still up for it!

Now, if Orbital are reading this ;) can you please bring back and play fucking Fahrenheit 3D3 :mrgreen: oh....and Choice
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Loopz wrote:oh....and Choice
TUNE! 8)
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

For anyone concerned about the prospective quality of the gig, give me your ticket and I'll run quality control over the gig for you if you want.

In other words...

Stop bellyaching the lot of ye. Ye're going to Glastonbury and ye'll get to see the Lads do their thing with the first new stuff in over five years. Be grateful ye pack of pansy-arsed sassanach infidel.

That is all.

....there, that should piss off just about everyone...

Now, to find a quite corner to have a little weep for myself.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Actually I do have a small concern but this in the relation to the graphics of TGiG.

I've always been impressed by the production of the accompanying visuals through the gig. They have always been spot on in style and realisation.

However

The main body of the visuals in TGiG is fine but there is something about the typeface of the text that just doen't sit right. The letters are just not subtle enough and the note struck seems just a little heavy-handed and hectoring. A contrast would be the visuals to Satan, which primarilly use a lower-case font (times new roman, I think) and just seem more in keeping with the tone of the tune. I'm not saying copy Satan but there must be an more appropriate font for the track.

Of course, this is just from crappy tube of you vids but all the same, it just jarred with me and not even in a provocative way.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

legspin wrote:I'm not saying copy Satan but there must be an more appropriate font for the track.
God. Some people are never happy! :roll:
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

Loopz wrote: can you please bring back and play fucking Fahrenheit 3D3 oh....and Choice
:lol: two words:- juliette naked.
but it makes you think..fahreheit , what could they do with that...
legspin wrote:Stop bellyaching the lot of ye. Ye're going to Glastonbury and ye'll get to see the Lads do their thing with the first new stuff in over five years. Be grateful ye pack of pansy-arsed sassanach infidel.
thats the best thing anyones said all day!

then you went and spoiled it with! :lol:
legspin wrote:Actually I do have a small concern but this in the relation to the graphics of TGiG.

I've always been impressed by the production of the accompanying visuals through the gig. They have always been spot on in style and realisation.

However

The main body of the visuals in TGiG is fine but there is something about the typeface of the text that just doen't sit right. The letters are just not subtle enough and the note struck seems just a little heavy-handed and hectoring. A contrast would be the visuals to Satan, which primarilly use a lower-case font (times new roman, I think) and just seem more in keeping with the tone of the tune. I'm not saying copy Satan but there must be an more appropriate font for the track.

Of course, this is just from crappy tube of you vids but all the same, it just jarred with me and not even in a provocative way.
[/quote]

you are surely taking the piss?
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

or of course a graphic designer :roll:
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

user name wrote:
you are surely taking the piss?
Of course I am.
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

I think "The Gun Is Good"'s font is fine... :P but Legspin is Ireland's Jonathan Ive.... :mrgreen:

What I do take offence to is all those bloody blue and green lights during it! Have you not heard of yellow or red??????!!!!!!!

:P :P :P :P :P :P
LOL

Well this thread has got interesting again.

I hope that the BBC give at least an hours worth of coverage for Orbital over the Glasto weekend and that some nice person will record it in HD if possible so at least I get get a chance to experience it second hand, so to speak.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

I'll be able to record it in HD, whether or not I can then transfer from my V+ box or not, I don't know. Might have to see if I can borrow a HD hard disk recorder off someone, if such a thing exists...
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

user name wrote: well its to do with a bitmore than just what 'can be done tecnically' there is rehursal time to think about no one plays with out rehursal. light shows to plan and program, and in the case of orbital video shows to plan around all this, i think the diference between shows comes from contiually playing the 'same' set in a diferent and dveloping way over time , doesn't adding 2 new tracks to the set constitute a non rigid set anyway!?! not forgetting the tweeked ending to satan that they did at the I.O.W?
What he said.

There's a huge difference between tweaking a level or messing about with a filter in a particular track, and actually chopping and changing the setlist. The former would have no effect on the length of the set, the lights or AV etc, the latter would send it all to cock.

Just feel lucky you're getting to see P&P at their 'spiritual live home' or whatever that bollocks is! ;-)

Rich
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

user name wrote:and with them about to write a super new album.
what what what? Did I miss a memo?! :D
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

tcb2000 wrote:
user name wrote:and with them about to write a super new album.
what what what? Did I miss a memo?! :D
Rich, grab a copy of the latest "International DJ" magazine (2 or 3 page interview)... Possible release by the end of the year! :)

8)