SPOILER: New set videos 2010

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

Badger
Doctor Look Out
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

SPOILER: New set videos 2010

Post by Badger »

https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
JIMBO
Saint

Re: SPOILER: New set videos 2010

Post by JIMBO »

Hmmm....those videos are strangely atmosphere-less. Hope that's not a sign for Glasto!

Plus that new version of Don't Stop Me really is arse. Doesn't strike me as a good choice for an outdoor festival at all. DO NOT WANT AT GLASTONBURY. Pleeaase to be pulling some suprises out of the bag boys or I'll be off to Stevie...
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

I wouldn't base a review of "Don't Stop Me" on a poor-quality YouTube video - the released version is actually rather good :)

8)
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

[quote="usernick"]I wouldn't base a review of "Don't Stop Me" on a poor-quality YouTube video - the released version is actually rather good :)

8)[/quote]

If it's the same as the remixed version that was premiered with 'The Gun Is Good' on that US radio thing then, no, it's inferior to the original 'demo' recording. The reworked vocal samples are 'orrible, as is that naff 'ShutupSHUTUP' bit. I understand that for a release they might have had rights issues, but live....?

Either way I'm still unconvinced that it's much of an outdoorsy festival choon (indoors perhaps) and I'd rather they used the time in a limited slot to better effect than just debuting the new single. (Which means they are guaranteed to play it!)

I think Orbital really need to absolutely ROCK the Glasto gig - lots of people are already dicounting them as a pointless nostalgia act. The set list really needs to be special and not a re-tread of 2004 or the Big Chill.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

I'd have to agree with virtually everything you've posted there Jimbo.
I too prefer the original demo played on Triple J.
Not keen on the Shutup samples or the reworked vocal hook either.

That said, I'm still excited to hear it at Guilfest, although I'm very dubious about that festival as it has never really grabbed me, and tbh there is little there this year that has me all fired up for Friday.

Everything you have said about the Glasto performance I would have to agree with too.
I havent seen any Isle of Wight footage yet, but I strongly suspect that will be the set for the summers gigs.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

I'm worried Memly. I'm concerned that the brothers may have missed the fact that they are unlikely to get such a high profile slot at Glasto ever again. If I were them I would be sweating blood to make sure that this was the Orbital performance of the century, but I'm afraid that it will come off as 'just another Orbital gig' and then that's it - no more headline status. I hope I'm wrong though...
JonD

Post by JonD »

This is one of the reasons why it's so terrible that glade was cancelled this year. A storming set there would have done an awful lot to re-establish Orbital with some of the more discerning electronic music fans that might not have known them in the past or think they're just doing the same old, same old.

On a purely personal note a sunday night set is a bit of a pain anyway... after seeing Orbital I'd be up for a night of carnage, not winding down to bring the festival to a close. I'm always up for something a bit more chilled come sunday night - why Blur went down so well last year!

I'll be there anyway despite my better judgement about missing Stevie, I just hope they have something a bit special to pull out of the bag for this one. I know lots of people only too eager to dismiss them these days - play lush/impact and I'm anyones absolutely loved the start to last years gigs - but the same old setlist gets harder to defend each gig.
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

JIMBO wrote:I'd rather they used the time in a limited slot to better effect than just debuting the new single. (Which means they are guaranteed to play it!)

I think Orbital really need to absolutely ROCK the Glasto gig - lots of people are already dicounting them as a pointless nostalgia act. The set list really needs to be special and not a re-tread of 2004 or the Big Chill.
stop me if im wrong but thats abit obsurd! your saying they should do something to stop them seeming to be a pointless nostalgia act but shouldnt play new stuff! bit of a paradox that one...

fair enough you personaly dont like the single so dont want to hear it , but the set has 2 new songs in it if it's the same as the I.O.W. gig not bad for a band just back in the studio!

tell me just what would you do to make it ROCK!? ( apart from playing their biggest tunes which is what they have been doing for the last year. BTW most bands tour the same set for 1-3 years without change...
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

JonD wrote:I'll be there anyway despite my better judgement about missing Stevie, I just hope they have something a bit special to pull out of the bag for this one. I know lots of people only too eager to dismiss them these days - play lush/impact and I'm anyones absolutely loved the start to last years gigs - but the same old setlist gets harder to defend each gig.
the same old set list? it's only been a year ! how many times have you seen them in that time? anyway you want it the same with lush impact ( which have developed over time anyway so never quite the same)
what would you concider to be a bit special? 2 new tracks? would that do it?

and who are you defening them from? the evil anti old tecno goblins!?! would it be easyier to defend a band that just play back off of a hard disk recorder throughing a few FX over the top making it a 'live' gig ?maybe your used to those kind of bands changing their set every week because it doesnt take any efort ? no one should go see a band they dont want to , dont defend orbital they do what they think best and always have done as far as i can tell. and i'm sure they think every gig they do is a bit special , other wise i don't think they would be able to get up there and do it do you?

personally if you've seen orbital a coupe of times in the last year i'd go see Stevie , he's bound to have a nice new setlist that doesn't need defending :lol:
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

sorry guys but i'm in a bad mood today .
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

JIMBO wrote:Hmmm....those videos are strangely atmosphere-less. Hope that's not a sign for Glasto!

Plus that new version of Don't Stop Me really is arse. Doesn't strike me as a good choice for an outdoor festival at all. DO NOT WANT AT GLASTONBURY. Pleeaase to be pulling some suprises out of the bag boys or I'll be off to Stevie...

also if i were you id get off to stevie with jond just in case they DONT STOP ME AS THEIR SURPRISE !
what is more suprising that 2 new songs i wonder....

yes better go see stevie , defo get a few surprises there :lol:
JonD

Post by JonD »

user name wrote:
JIMBO wrote:Hmmm....those videos are strangely atmosphere-less. Hope that's not a sign for Glasto!

also if i were you id get off to stevie with jond just in case they DONT STOP ME AS THEIR SURPRISE !
what is more suprising that 2 new songs i wonder....

yes better go see stevie , defo get a few surprises there :lol:
Hey look, don't get me wrong. I love Orbital and in Impact (in its various incarnations) they've got a track that can probably lay a bigger claim to being my absolute favourite song ever than anything else. And I really can't think of a much bigger compliment than that. I just think a bit more uncertainty from gig to gig in what they're going to play or the versions of tracks they're going to use would be a good thing.

To be fair to the guys I really enjoyed what they did with their comeback gigs. The reworked version of halcyon and playing chime with crime were ace. On top of that I think the whole run of lush-impact-remind the way they played it was probably about as perfect a distillation of what I love about Orbital as a live act as you can get. But maybe that's part of the problem, it's so perfect you can't blame them for sticking with it and at a festival thats getting on for half the gig in runtime where you know exactly what tunes are coming. Bit of a paradox, I'd probably complain whatever they did about that! I'm not necessarily saying they should go all Aphextwin at a Bjork gig and just play an hour of white noise or decide to play nothing but tracks from the Altogether:P Like I said, just think the gigs could benefit from some more uncertainty. Can't beat that feeling as you strain to hear the beginning beats of an old/new fave tune you didn't expect to hear coming in over the top of the previous track.

Part of this is probably just a symptom of the internet age, the ease of access to setlists and videos (note Ive studiously avoided clicking on the ones above so maybe they're completely changed things and my post is moot!) means things age a lot quicker than they used to. I went to see Leftfield in Sheffield and though they were good they were still using the same segues as I've got on bootlegs from 96 and 2000! Enjoyed it, Afro left and Storm 3000 in particular but they didn't do nearly as much as Orbital have to update their set and rework songs. So don't think I'm getting at them too much. And I know Stevie won't be at all surprising in anything other than the fact I've never seen him before. Besides whatever I say it's 99% certain end up seeing Orbital anyway. But that's not the point :D Just have high expectations of the guys after the amount of songs they've done that I bloody love!
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Well hopefully there might be some BBC3 footage of the boys in action at Glasto and we can all pick it apart then....for those of us not going.

I'm sure they'll be fantastic (as ever).

Once the new albums out, then we can hope to see a live set structured around that as opposed to the classics... or a bit of both. 8)

I can see Jimbos and Jons point; dont get me wrong I am thrilled that they are back and writing new material that at the moment seems very strong (P&P, not Jimbo and Jon!), but there hasnt been a tour that doesnt focus on the "classics" since 2002. I know on a personal level that I would love them to get an albums worth of new material and then to tour with that as the main focus.
The problem that most of us forumites have is that the majority of us will jump at the chance to see Orbital as much as we can (I saw them 4 times last year, would have been 5 if it werent for that darn swine flu!) and we are more obsessive than your average person (note:Badger).
I'm sure there are plenty of Orbital fans out there that will not have heard the new tunes, and the general consensus (on this site anyway) is that its all good and promising. I myself am not as keen on the later versions of Dont stop me, than the original demo on Triple J, but I still think its a cracking song and I can see it being well recieved in a live environment.
I'm sure if I was a normal ketamine toting teenager with too many spots and a doomed place at art college, I would be blown away by the current set (if it is the same as last years), but most of us here expect more because of what Orbital means to us, and we know more than most what they are capable of in a live environment... and want more!
Many of my close friends saw Orbital at the Big Chill last year for the first time, after 5 years of biggin up the brothers live to them, none of them were disappointed. I myself rated the set at the Big Chill as one of the best I have seen.
It seems from the interviews that new pieces will appear in the live set as time goes on, but it would be exceptional if they were touring to promote new material.
Whether Orbital are asked back to Glastonbury is something else. They have always been well recieved there and to a certain extent it is their live home.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Cheers Mem. LOL

Well I think there will be every chance Orbital will be back at Glasto again. Especially if there is a new album in the pipes.

Look I think our problem is that we are all pretty full time fans on these boards and we all have a whole bunch of fav tunes that we all would love to hear live (and with Orbital's 21 years a huge catalogue to choose from) so I can see the reason people are wanting a new set, but if you have been on here long enough you know that the way Orbital craft their live set takes time...a lot of time. If you look at last years set and how awesome it was, how the old tunes were revamped and linked together in ways we hadn't heard before, new elements added to a lot of those tracks and how those elements changed each gig and realise how long that must've taken in the first place then I really don't see what you have to complain about.
I know I'm always putting in suggestions in these forums about what could be added to the live set and I know I've probably annoyed P+P with my constant badgering (please excuse the pun) but I'm realistic, I know its not easy to put these shows together.

Personally, I'm preferring the new samples in "Don't Stop Me" and from the clip I'm loving the live version of "The Gun Is Good". So I think those added to the set would be great fun. I also think that maybe 1 or 2 new "old" tunes (like Walk Now, Sad But True, The Naked & The Dead or stuff like that) would also be a great addition to the set along with the main body of last years set maybe shuffled around in different places would be welcome but it wouldnt make any difference to my enjoyment of an Orbital set if it didn't happen.

I know we'd all love to hear a completely new set but remember these are festival sets still and a whole new set would take an awful long time to program and you gotta think about that too...spending time programming a whole new set or writing new tunes for a new album which everyone here is also desperate to hear? Take your pick, make your choice...(peace or anniliation?)

What we probably hope for is that if a new album does surface then a new tour might be constructed around thae album tracks and that would offer the opportunity for some of the other suggestions and tracks from the past to resurface again.

And then I can get pissed off and jealous as you guys in the UK would undoubtably hear it before I ever
got the chance. :-)
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

I tried to post this last night, but me interntz broke. However thanks to the old copy n paste it still existed so here's what I wrote (with reference to Username):

"Jeez dude, calm DOWN.

I'm of the opinion that 'Don't Stop Me' - particularily in its slightly underwhelming new form - is not a great outdoor festival track. I could be wrong. 'The Gun Is Good' however I'm thoroughly looking forward to hearing, so my gripe is not against new material per se, just careful set list construction.

This is all conjecture, but I am a little depressed by the idea that Orbital may turn up at Glasto and play pretty much the same set list as they toured last year. Sure - you expect to hear certain tracks like 'Impact', 'Chime' and 'Halcyon' (and this is a problem in itself when they have only a limited performance slot) but with fifteen years of material to draw upon I for one would like to see some suprises.

Bearing in mind that having swapped out the MMT8s for Ableton, and the band can in theory carry around far more music than they could possibly perform, it would be nice to have that sense of mystery about what they might pull out of the box (so to speak!). Half of their tracks are quite lengthy, but there is no reason why they couldn't chop them slightly shorter, sprinkle clips of other rarer tracks throughout and generally tease the audience. This is what new technology allows Orbital to do - I'd love to hear a minutes worth of 'Omen' mixed into the middle of 'Satan' or something.

Further more this is GLASTONBURY. On it's 40th anniversary! The festival that catipulted them to widespread appeal and what will probably be their last headline slot for Eavis. It'd be nice to celebrate that night in 1994 - how about a bit of 'Are We Here?' or a smattering of 'Sad But True' ? And what of all the other wonderful tracks they've played live over the years? 'Tension' would go down an absolute storm with an up for it crowd. BIg Pipe Style?

D'ya see what I'm getting at?"

Obviously some of you lovely folks have already addressed the points I was unable to make above. Incidentally while I'm sure programming the set is still time consuming, I'm willing to bet that it's a breeze compared to the MMT8 days - just look how quickly P&P sketched out new bits and bobs for songs inbetween gigs on the winter tour. THIS is what frustrates me about them sticking to a rigid set list - they now have the power to change this! And without wanting to sound like a snob I'd like to think that the Glasto gigs should be very special and 'different' to any other festival set they play.