Paul Hartnoll Interview & 2 New Tracks

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

user name
Saint

Re: Paul Hartnoll Interview & 2 New Tracks

Post by user name »

davemacfrombath wrote:I have a Sonos system that's linked to a Napster stream (for a monthly subscription fee) and it really can't be beat. There are a few albums and artists that aren't on Napster but the vast majority of new releases are available. I'm guessing that streaming is the way forward for home systems or maybe monthly subscriptions for unlimited downloads? The fact is that people will continue illegally downloading until it's not worth their while doing so.
i think this is probably the future , one day it just wont be worth downloading...
Loopz
Site Admin
Question: Orbital

Post by Loopz »

ICED - dont do that again please? if it's questionable whether you should post on here then ask first.

everyone else...can you email me next time this happens please?
legspin
Open Mind
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by legspin »

Loopz wrote:ICED - dont do that again please? if it's questionable whether you should post on here then ask first.

everyone else...can you email me next time this happens please?

...I said I've got a big stick...
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Iced

Post by Iced »

Wow. I honestly apologize for posting the link. I read the rules and it states that commercially available mp3s cannot be traded here but that sites with live mp3s are okay. I would never a link to commercially available mp3s here, but it was a live broadcast and I was merely separating the tracks from a broadcast that is still readily available (anyone with a computer could do this), so I didn't see what harm could have come from it.

Wasn't trying to be an instigator or anything. Lesson learned, and I hope there are no hard feelings. :(
Iced

Post by Iced »

By the way, the reason I wasn't sure if it was okay is because the rules as stated are a bit confusing. It says "live mp3s cannot be traded" but then says "websites with downloadable live Orbital bootlegs" are okay (which is what I thought I did, but maybe I'm wrong?) It just seems a bit contradictory.

If I have any confusion over the rules in the future though, I'll be sure to contact a moderator in advance.
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

I think the problem here Iced was that the tracks played in the link were not live, they were demo's - and as such even though they came from a "live" interview they were not performed live by Orbital.

Sorry mate I can't see where you are getting confused on this one, but hope this helps to clarify it for you... :D
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
Iced

Post by Iced »

Okay, well regardless of if they were actually live recordings or not (I was under the impression they were, though), I meant absolutely no disrespect to Loopz or Orbital by posting the link. I'm a loooooooong time viewer of this site, so I thought this could be a way to give back to the site and its followers, in however a small way, for all the great music recommendations I've received here over the years (I would NEVER have heard of Bent had it not been for these forums!) As Loopz said though, I should have asked before doing it and I sincerely apologize.

Anyway, let's get back to the subject at hand. New songs! Yay, weeeeee!
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

iced - it's not a problem and totally agree the rules are outdated and confusing. I think i will add to ask if unsure as a catch all. So moving on :)
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

WOW!!! "The Gun is Good" is an awesome track!!! (but I prefer the first version of "Don't Stop Me") if they did make an album of this quality it be in my top five best Orbital albums for sure!!

:applause

I look forward to hearing more 8)
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

The Gun is Good is going to sound great live!

:D
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

Loopz wrote:everyone else...can you email me next time this happens please?
sorry , good idea , didn't think , will do !
davemacfrombath wrote:user name wrote:
it's quite a hot debate at the moment isn't it? funny how things are now. if you play something on the radio its streamed on line then picked over then distributed , it's just the way of things now . hard to know where the rules stand on it ( not of this site just moraly in general ), it's great that you enjoy it so much you bother to record it .it's not like you can go out and buy it at the moment anyway. i know i used to record the chart run down when i was younger...a few years ago, ahem.
to be fair if you play some thing on the radio you know this will happen anyway, i'm just curious as to where it will all lead , i personally have no idea!
but some body has to pay the piper eventually

The problem is that people have been 'borrowing' music since the cavemen first started banging stones with bones...

Musicians nicking each other's ideas has been going on for decades and I remember when sampling first started happening in a big way and the debate that raged about that.
and another thing...

true but not what i was saying really 2 different matters, music and musicians 'inspire ' ahem each other all the time very true , but that is not the same as the audience who pay for their wares efectivly giving out free tickets for a gig which is what downloading and free file sharing is.

basically people pay to see live music.
people pay to take home a recording of music to listen to while a live gig is unavaliable.

ocasionally there is a freeby
nothing wrong with that.
but when the balance is upset...thats when it goes wrong and ultimatly the musician has to get another 'paying ' job leaving them no time to steel ops i mean be 'insopired' , by other , still paid , musicians , the result? no more good music ! just a sea of corporate hi end pop!
probably...
impact

Post by impact »

Acid Gaz wrote:
I'll see your David Warner in Time Bandits and raise you Niall Buggy in Zardoz.
I'll call your Niall Buggy in Zardoz, though we may have a split pot. The bit near the end, where it says "I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!" is definitely the Evil Genius.

I've obviously liked listening to these tracks and it seems that the lines can become greyed when there's a "free download", but there's nothing like having the physical item and I look forward to getting all the new O stuff in whatever format(s!) it comes out in.
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

I take your point username - got to make money to keep the kids in shoes....
But the thing would be if you were not going to release anything and only let people hear new stuff live, would that not be unfair on your fans who could not see you live?

Why not consider doing something similar to what FSOL do with their releases and create an online shop for old/new/rare/live/whatever stuff?
That way, you would maximise yer profits on a cost efficent business model???

I'll be honest as an Orbital fan - I feel a bit shafted that they are more or less saying you can only hear the new stuff live, then see that they are not playing in Scotland this year. So I have to pay a lot of money to travel/get digs/buy a ticket for a festival where there's only one act I really want to check out just coz I'll hear new stuff....
So, because there is no record or overpriced USB I have to try and find a crappy copy of the live set online somewhere??? :?
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
Iced

Post by Iced »

shadyboy wrote:I'll be honest as an Orbital fan - I feel a bit shafted that they are more or less saying you can only hear the new stuff live, then see that they are not playing in Scotland this year. So I have to pay a lot of money to travel/get digs/buy a ticket for a festival where there's only one act I really want to check out just coz I'll hear new stuff....
So, because there is no record or overpriced USB I have to try and find a crappy copy of the live set online somewhere??? :?
I know exactly how you feel. I live in Ontario, Canada, and I'm pretty sure they've only been to Canada once. The chances of me ever seeing them live are next to nil, and that honestly saddens me because they are my all-time favourite group.

So Hartnolls, if you're somehow reading this: please know that you will have at least 1 person in attendance should you decide to come to say, Toronto at some point.
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

user name wrote:true but not what i was saying really 2 different matters, music and musicians 'inspire ' ahem each other all the time very true , but that is not the same as the audience who pay for their wares efectivly giving out free tickets for a gig which is what downloading and free file sharing is.

basically people pay to see live music.
people pay to take home a recording of music to listen to while a live gig is unavaliable.

ocasionally there is a freeby
nothing wrong with that.
but when the balance is upset...thats when it goes wrong and ultimatly the musician has to get another 'paying ' job leaving them no time to steel ops i mean be 'insopired' , by other , still paid , musicians , the result? no more good music ! just a sea of corporate hi end pop!
probably...
Since your Loopz 'status' is now 'Saint' who am I to disagree?!!
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?