As the aches subside....

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

legspin
Open Mind
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

As the aches subside....

Post by legspin »

I think 'tis time to describe the excellence of that weekend.

These were the fourth and fifth time I had attened a gig of the Lads this year. With the slight blip of the Leccy Piccy excepted, they got better and better with each performance. The set has remained constant since the start with only minor alterations to the track listings (the dropping of KWTR for some festival shows being the most obvious example) but the tunes themselves have been twisted around on themselves quite regularly. I've been to three indoor shows and haven't heard the same version of Out There Somewhere yet. Added to that was the several versions of The Mobius (especially on Saturday which was by far the best I have ever heard it) and the start of the show was fresh every time.

After the gentle warm-up of that opening set the heat and intensity is immediatly pumped to eleven with Lush, Impact and Remind. I must be getting old 'coz each time by the end of Remind I was blowing hard and sweating harder and really needed the extra few seconds that the sample of The Devil Rides Out gives before Satan kicks off. Probably the track that remained the most consistant of the set (to my ears anyway) the segue into Belfast will remain one of the most sublime things I have ever heard and will never get old imo.

Chime is .... well, Chime. 'Nuff said really. Crime however was, for me anyway, a revelation during the summer. I obviously hadn't listened to it enough beforehand 'coz I was really surprised as to how well it sat in the set. After the initial disappointment at KWTR at the 'Chill, the indoor gigs renewed my faith in it and by saturday I was licking my lips in anticipation for the opening fuzz. Into Halcyon and I'll be honest, the Belinda/Bon Jovi has got a little stale. The fact that I hate Bon Jovi with a passion equaled only by my love of cannabis, does colour my judgement somewhat. I understand that some folk still aren't happy with OPS in the set and while I can sympathise, it doesn't detract from the ambience at all imo and is actually a reasonable closer to the main set.

The encore .... The Box into ?. It works. The Box will always be one of the tracks that if anyone asks me for a place to start with Orbital it will be an instant recomendation. After my again initial reservations of ? as the closer, it has grown on me and by the time of Saturday's hardcore version I was more than happy with it.

It has beeen a great year as far as I'm concerned and Friday and Saturday put the tin hat on it. Mixed in with familar faces were some new (Rich and Sid, great to have met ye, always great to put faces and voices to the names.) The tunes were brilliant and the atmosphere just what the apothecary ordered.

As to the future? New stuff maybe, solo projects to continue apace hopefully. Don't go away for as long though.

Thanks P+P. It's been emotional...
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
tcb2000
Adnan

Re: As the aches subside....

Post by tcb2000 »

Good to meet you too Rich.

I had a great night up to about halfway through when the dick in front of me kept moving back and pushing me - not the crowd, just this one guy. I eventually stood to the side to let him get on with it, when his girlfriend then appears and starts doing the same. I pointed out to the fellow that I didn't appreciate his antics, had politely moved away and now his bird was doing the same. I think the word 'wanker' was used. After that I needed to get out and get some air, and went and chatted with Brian for a bit. I suppose the 6 pints of guinness and x pints of lager didn't help my condition!

By the end of the gig I was ready for bed, so staggered out for a taxi and went back to my hotel.

Good to see you all though, see you at a party somewhere, sometime!

Rich
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator