what would you put in the set?

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Kagey
Geography group B
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: what would you put in the set?

Post by Kagey »

n
a
k
e
d

a
n
d

t
h
e

d
e
a
d
!
http://www.clockworkdisco.com

"Let's face it, "digital sound" is a misnomer...

Unless you plug the wires directly into your skull, at the end of the chain is a set of speakers pumping back-and-forth turning ANY signal into analogue waves..."
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

naked and the the dead , simple but nice...can't go wrong with a bit of scott walker
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

Forever mixed with Transient as opener,
Way Out
Spare Parts Express
Lush 3
The Girl With The Sun In Her Head
Impact
Remind (or massive reconstruction of Walk Now with bits from Remind)
Crash And Carry
LC1
Halcyon (totaly without samples, nice new clear version)
Chime
You Lot
The Box (clasical one with heavy pianino sounds from single version 2)
Meltdown
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

memly wrote:Leggy doesnt think so Dave, infact he sounded pretty traumatised by my suggestion.

I still think its a winner, although the thought of hearing a wailing man over the intro may make the evenings music a more sombre event.
He's a very emotional man - in Manchester he he was crying like a baby. Mind you that was only after someone told him it was his round....
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
chime
Saint

Post by chime »

Tough one this, but here goes....(In no particular order)

Out there somewhere Pts 1&2
Midnight
Forever
Sad but true
Remind
Are we here?
Dwr Budr
Impact
TGWTSIHH
Last thing
You Lot
Chime
Crime

I agree that Dr Who has gone past it's sell by date too!
:-)
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

I was going to post this last night afte emptying my brain of my thouhts but then i decided to re-read in the morning. Make a coffee and then have a read...lol

First, the set that is out there is, in my eyes (or ears) is near perfect. Personally I would demote One Perfect Sunrise and Know Where to Run. OPS is just not my kind of Orbital track but I do love Know Where to Run. It just doesn't help the flow and isn’t different enough as a live track. I love the bass of course but for some reason it just doesn't go much further than the studio version. If I had to drop a 3rd track, I would at a push with a gun to my head, drop The Box! :/

The current set is also very upbeat and appears to be geared towards a more danceable crowd rather than a brain-dancing crowd (if you know what I mean). After all, these are the most popular Orbital tracks and with the extra layers/reworkings, things are sounding great. This is why I would struggle to suggest many tracks that would be able to just slot in there. A lot of Orbital tracks I would like to hear loud in a gig are more braindancing tracks. Trouble is these are the ones where the majority of people would hardly move! This would just upset the whole set and that wouldn’t be as good I think.

I was talking to a mate about the gigs a while ago and we reckon the warm up's shouldn't just be Delphic for example but a DJ playing orbital tracks that are not in the live set. The classic old tracks and the more chilled out tunes. Even some rare stuff, hard to find and possible unreleased. Make the evening a total Orbital experience. This is the 20 year anniversary after all...so let's get some history played out there. just my 2 pence ;)

ok here are the tracks I reckon they should consider doing.

First, tracks that I think would fit in and would be great live (in no order of pref).

the naked and the dead / Walkabout (I've dj'd these back to back and it works...I think)

beelzebeat (1st part only - 2nd part is too laid back for the live setup)

choice (I remember them playing this straight after Out There Somewhere on the In Sides tour. First few bars kick in and hair stands on end. Would be beefy enough to work well). It was also the excuse for me to drunkenly talk to them at Oscillate during a power failure as well....*oh dear*

Sunday (great track. Could be taken places...)

Fahrenheit 3D3 (Whenever I listen to Norwich Sound City gig, this stands out. It could go on for 15 minutes and I would be happy. If I was to push a track...then this would be it. It's been TOO long since it got played live and would be a challenge to Orbital for sure)

the girl with the sun in her head (never heard a version that betters the studio version, which is imho one of the greatest orbital tracks ever written. The builds on this are just amazing and maybe now is the time for another outing / re-work)

The Maybe tracks...

High rise (Sid's on this with me. I'd love to hear this live but I expect it would be met with confused faces!)

spare parts express (I love this track as well. Again, not sure if it would fit in anywhere on this set)

dwr budr (I have a massive soft spot for this track. Very moody and melancholic. Probably a bit slow for the set so should be played before Orbital hit the stage...as part of the orbital warm up music)

The following tracks would be great to hear live but I don't think they would work. Of course, I'd like to proven wrong :) I love them all.

mock tudor (another favourite orbital track of mine. very complex and built up of loads and loads of layers)

open mind (f.a.mix) (ok...so this was tried out on the last tour and I'm surprised of how it never really came across to the crowd. I personally loved it...)

sad but new (great track, just like the original)

science friction (I listened to this as I wrote this. Sniv being one of my favourite albums and this is just great. As a live track...not sure)

speed freak (Please no moby! :) Grew up with the Green album and speed freak is great. Could work as it's full of energy but a big ask to bring to the live circuit)

steel cube idolatry (More Green action! I love this as well. So hypnotic....)

You Lot (Great track but I didn't think it worked well as a live track last time)

Also. I would never dream of losing Impact, Crime, Lush (Euro) and The Moebius. Impact part 1 to 2 works better in my opinion. Part 2 after Part 1 always felt a bit of an anti-climax for me.
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

excellent job application letter there Loopz......
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
shadyboy
Oolaa
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by shadyboy »

Yeah Loopz, you're pretty much spot on there....

I would drop OPS & KWTR and put in The Girl With The Sun... & perhaps Farenheit 3D3.

Would also love to hear an updated version of Omen.
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

Loopz wrote:First, the set that is out there is, in my eyes (or ears) is near perfect. Personally I would demote One Perfect Sunrise and Know Where to Run. If I had to drop a 3rd track, I would at a push with a gun to my head, drop The Box! :/
since i saw and heard them just 5 times, i shouldn't say its near perfect, but since i have listened to a lot of Orbital live gigs, i must totaly agree, this set is maximaly awesome! but as you and as a lot of fans here, i would drop One Perfext Sunrise. but never The Box, NEVER! :)
Loopz wrote:The current set is also very upbeat and appears to be geared towards a more danceable crowd rather than a brain-dancing crowd (if you know what I mean). After all, these are the most popular Orbital tracks and with the extra layers/reworkings, things are sounding great. This is why I would struggle to suggest many tracks that would be able to just slot in there. A lot of Orbital tracks I would like to hear loud in a gig are more braindancing tracks. Trouble is these are the ones where the majority of people would hardly move! This would just upset the whole set and that wouldn’t be as good I think.
totaly agree, but for me personaly i would love brain-dancing or rather brain-siting gig. im more of a listener, then dancer! :)

Loopz wrote:Spare Parts Express (I love this track as well. Again, not sure if it would fit in anywhere on this set)
one of my friends whos married recently, but is with his now-wife for some 10 years love Spare Parts Express and she doesn't, so when he wants to realy upset her or even to get rid of her for some time, he playes this track quite loudly :)
Loopz wrote:Dwr Budr (I have a massive soft spot for this track. Very moody and melancholic. Probably a bit slow for the set so should be played before Orbital hit the stage...as part of the orbital warm up music)
i would LOVE to hear this one live as you, but i think not so 90% of other fans on gig :/
Loopz wrote:You Lot (Great track but I didn't think it worked well as a live track last time)
i think it worked quite nicely, especiely with people in the crowds reciting the text when Orbital played it.
Loopz wrote:Impact part 1 to 2 works better in my opinion. Part 2 after Part 1 always felt a bit of an anti-climax for me.
dont understand what does that means at all.. :)
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

davemacfrombath wrote:excellent job application letter there Loopz......
well, thats one reason i didnt post last night. Someone was bound to home in on that bit only. So congratulations...you did'nt fail me :P
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Kyblik wrote:
Loopz wrote:Impact part 1 to 2 works better in my opinion. Part 2 after Part 1 always felt a bit of an anti-climax for me.
dont understand what does that means at all.. :)
Sorry i didnt explain it very well. On a previous tour they played Impact Part 2 followed by Part 1 which at the time sounded different and very good. I was just trying to say that i prefer part 1 followed by part 2.
Shrineboy
Saint

Post by Shrineboy »

I'd love to hear High Rise (with clips from Mary Mungo and Midge on the screens!)
I Don't Know You People (with more samples from that film)
Style Big Big Bigpipe version
tezleyflahflah
Saint

Post by tezleyflahflah »

Drop The Box.
New additions to the set - Naked and the Dead, Crash and Carry and Walk Now please.
dancook_uk

Post by dancook_uk »

Loopz wrote:
You Lot (Great track but I didn't think it worked well as a live track last time)
I was at one of the Brixton gigs on the Blue album tour - I thought the live version of You Lot was working really well until the bass kicked in, and it just wasn't loud/aggressive enough!

I think the current live set is great - I remember thinking the set wasn't long enough on the blue album tour, this one is absolutely perfect length.
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

@dancook_uk

Yeah, i'm not sure why it didnt come across as well as i hoped so maybe it was a lack of bass or perhaps it was too close to the studio version.