what would you put in the set?

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

user name
Saint

what would you put in the set?

Post by user name »

having had a summer of orbital gig's what would be your dream set now? what would you like to hear and not hear? 'if' they carried on giging some more...
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: what would you put in the set?

Post by memly »

To be honest I thought the set this tour has been amazing, although I would chuck OPS as I think there are other tunes more worthy of the live treatment; I would love to see more from Middle of Nowhere, maybe substitute Out There Somewhere 1/2 for Way Out/Spare Parts or Nothing Left 1 & 2.
I would prefer You Lot to OPS, so with this in mind I think I would like to hear, in this order:

You Lot
Chime/Crime
Satan
Technologique Park (sic)
Halcyon - with new anthemic riffage
Impact/USA
Funny Break (album version)
Belfast
DR?

Way Out Short version into
Nothing Left 1 & 2

I would be happy with that...
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Well I think dropping OPS would be a good idea. You Lot would be great to hear again especially if you could mix it into another track of some sort.

Actually here's what I would like to hear:

The Naked And The Dead (great drums and perfect to blend into other tracks)

Crash N Carry versus Tech Park?? (a sort of mash up or half and half short bits of each type of thing...would that work? It'd be a beefy cross over plus a lot of the newer fans would've never heard Crash N Carry live - bloody briiliant it was - and ive never heard Tech Park live yet, not in the flesh)

Walk Now/About - with loads of new tweaking (replace Remind for this maybe?)

Way Out

Funny Break (Album Version with some new tweaking)

You Lot (tweaked up)

To keep from current set:

Crime
(possibly then mutating to Chime (short) i.e. the other way round from this tour)

Time Becomes (changed around a bit somehow)

Impact (but twisted around pt2 first and part1 last like the 99 tour and moved to near the end of the set again)

Lush (as this has been FANTASTIC this tour)

The Moebius (Opening track maybe now mixing into Way Out? i.e. the looped Picard “out there somewhere" sample messed up and echoing then the opening bars of Way Out?)

Satan (the new opening sample is great and the track is still massive)

Belfast (how about – and I know people are gonna probably scratch their heads at this one – with some of the vocals from the Volume “Wasted” version? Not all of the vocals but bits chopped up and vocodered messed around with etc and maybe with the dancier beats like the 2001 tour version and have it near the end of the main set possibly before the encore)

Halcyon (but maybe without the Belinda and Bon Jovi samples but include the new melody used on this tour and just have it as a great remix Halcyon but do bring back the Halcyon beats at the end over the top of the new melody...actually instead of the Belinda and Bon Jovi samples how about using some lyrics from Opus III’s “It’s A Fine Day”? Would be a good surprise I think.)

Well that's just my ideas. :)
Last edited by Badger on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Oh and by the way, if they continue touring then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could they come out to Australia at some point?

It's very expensive coming over to the UK to see your favourite band when you live on the other side of the planet and your a massive fan... BUT the BIG CHILL was SOOOOOO worth it. :applause :applause :D

Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Actually have just been messing around in Traktor Pro and tried a little idea out.

Had "Way Out" playing then i put an 8bar loop in the end drums (before Spare Parts Express starts) and then mixed in the opening beats of "You Lot".

Worked a treat and sounded great. That could be a good combination.

Also I think a bit of "Forever" in a revamped set, near the end possibly would be pretty cool.

legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

The only things I would change at the mo' would be to swap OPS for Forever and maybe add You Lot as a starter. They'll never play Transient live so that's a pipe dream anyway.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

legspin wrote:They'll never play Transient live so that's a pipe dream anyway.
They could always use it as they come on stage... Before they open with You Lot! 8)
MEMS MUZAK
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

memly wrote:
legspin wrote:They'll never play Transient live so that's a pipe dream anyway.
They could always use it as they come on stage... Before they open with You Lot! 8)
Jesus I hope not. There is nothing more mortifying than a grown man bawling his eyes out before a gig even really starts.
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

I'd really like to see TGWTSIHH reintroduced - there was one tour where they properly mangled it up - brilliant.

I'd also really like Style to be added though I doubt many others will agree with that...

What would be absolutely fantastic though would be for them to have a core set for the tour but with two or three tracks changing for each gig - a tall order I guess, but, let's face it, they have the material.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

Oh, and Transient as a set intro - what a great idea!
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Leggy doesnt think so Dave, infact he sounded pretty traumatised by my suggestion.

I still think its a winner, although the thought of hearing a wailing man over the intro may make the evenings music a more sombre event.
MEMS MUZAK
slurmjunkie

Post by slurmjunkie »

I agree with Transient as intro - as long as Leggy sheds a few tears instead of wailing, no problem. :wink:

As mentioned elsewhere, I also think OPS should be dropped for You Lot.

Forever is just so beautiful and would make a great opener (and Sniv would be acknowledged as well).

I think it's also time to drop Dr. ? It's a great cover version, but as it feels like a novelty track I never thought it a good idea to make it a regular part of the set. Better use the time for one of the Hartnoll's own compositions. For the novelty reason too, it's about time they played Halcyon without the Carlisle and Bon Jovi samples (as suggested by Badger).

The idea of a core set with rotating additional songs is great but I doubt they would do it. Though it would take live electronics to a whole new level. I guess the core set would also have to include Chime, Belfast, Satan (with the great atmospheric synth breakdown of the 2001/2002 shows, which sadly was dropped in 2004 - haven't heard the current version yet and hope it is included), Lush 3 and Impact. Know Where To Run can stay as well as it's my favourite from MON by far.

Out There Somewhere is brilliant, but they could alternate between that, TGWTSIHH and Adnan's (both of which I adore as well).

It would also be great if they brought back a few of the lesser known early gems: Midnight, Omen or LC1. I always felt that the ending of LC1 would make a perfect segue into the start of Chime.
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

memly wrote:Leggy doesnt think so Dave, infact he sounded pretty traumatised by my suggestion.

I still think its a winner, although the thought of hearing a wailing man over the intro may make the evenings music a more sombre event.
It's not that I don't want it played, 'coz I absolutely adore it but it does have some strong emotional ties for me. I'll just have to make sure I don't drink any gin beforehand.
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

everything. twelve hour set.
dance your cares away, worries for another day
Badger
Doctor Look Out