what would you put in the set?

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

slurmjunkie
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: what would you put in the set?

Post by slurmjunkie »

memly wrote:
I couldnt imagine an Orbital gig without Halcyon or Satan...
Me neither. The new intro samples of Satan are great and I'm glad they reintroduced the synth breakdown of 2001/2002. Halcyon, as mentioned before, would be even greater without the tired Carlisle/Bon Jovi samples. I'm all for Badger's suggestion to include a bit more of "It's A Fine Day". Also, in the current version that classic sort of arppegiated riff is way too low in the mix. I'd love them to focus more on that beautiful part.
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

After just listening to the "Hackers Unused" track (from Loopz Radio last day broadcast) which is like a mix of elements of Halcyon & The Girl With The Sun In Her Head then maybe i reckon that could be done live: Halcyon into TGWTSIHH or vica versa

Having either one mix into the other?

I love TGWTSIHH but my only gripe with it live was that most of the time it just sounded like the album version, there wasn't anything much done to it.

If it does maybe get added to the new set then give it a bit of a 2009/2010 face lift. And mixing into it from Halcyon (with Opus III samples :P ) or Halcyon mixing in it. Think that could work.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Controversial one here - but I would take Belfast out.....dunno why but it doesn't really do much for me!
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Actually, I was thinking that too. Just in it's current format, 2009 live seems to be a bit flat. I love the tune and it sends shivers down my spine any time I hear it but I do think it has to be revamped a bit if it stays in the set.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
slurmjunkie

Post by slurmjunkie »

My only complaint about Belfast live is that the most melancholy, beautiful part (2:24 to 3:28 in the studio version) is always too short and way too low in the mix. They should focus a bit more on that part, which always gives me goosebumps.
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

T''is true. The 2002 version was so stunning that it just doesn't quite work as well now.

'One Perfect Sunrise' really does need to go. It had a certain poignancy on the farewell tour that simply doesn't exist now Orbital are back. Fill the space with something more deserving I say. I'd also be up for a more back to basics Halcyon - always loved the Belinda bits, but the Bon Jovi sucks arse and always has. Slightly disappointed to see that the reprise of the first half of the song after the new breakdown has been dropped from the live show since earlier outings this year. I thought it really worked.

I'd love 'Way Out' in the set if it would fit anywhere. Or a truncated 'Are We Here?'... 'Tension', 'Nothing Left, Open Mind or 'Forever' would be nice.

There's just too many to choose from!
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

I'm a bit late to this thread, but here's my tuppence anyhow...

I think it's time for Kein Trink Wasser to make a comeback. It's not necessarily one I'm personally desperate for, but it's one the fans love and it's also one that people who don't know Orbital really seem to appreciate when they hear it first time. Can imagine it being reworked brilliantly and melting heads live.

I'd also love to hear modernised versions of some particular favourites of mine - Deeper (great hypnotic start to the set), LC1 (already got a lead-in to Chime built in), Sad But New, An Fhomhair, Forever, Choice, Dwr Budr, Fahrenheit 303... To be honest, I'm keen to hear what they can do with any of their back catalogue. The updated versions of the Brown album stuff and Chime that were played last year were bloody fantastic, so I reckon they could randomly grab a few old tracks and tweak away and I'd trust them to do something great, going by their current form. With there being a rave revival going on these days though, and Orbital seemingly back in dancefloor mode, I'd really love to have some more Green/Brown acidy stuff brought whack up-to-date to give me something to really get lost in. :)

It was really exciting to see Orbital live and genuinely be excited to wonder what tunes they'd resurrect next - and especially once a tune started, to wonder where they would take it. It's been a long time since I felt like that at an Orbital gig. I could happily go through that with any old tune they fancied dicking around with. :)
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."