Newcastle 21.09.09 - SPOILER

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

dirtyepic
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Newcastle 21.09.09 - SPOILER

Post by dirtyepic »

Not long been back home. Got me pictures on facebook and listening to the mp3 of tonight's gig.

I am in orbital heaven at the moment.

Gig started off quite disappointing and unatmospheric (for me anyway but me pals beg to differ) but soon got me where I wanted to be.

I heard them do Chime Crime (from Mutations ep) waited 17 years to hear it even though I might've heard in the past but prob not been in a fit state to remember it.

Met some old old pals. Met someone who I had contact with in 1999 before the FLUX gig at Edinburgh - SID!!!! he remembered me and we met and now I have made another new friend after 10 years!!!

Met a girl I went to college with on a DJ mixing course (Hi Jez - our teacher!! expected him to be there tonight but didn't see him!) - a lovely lady called Sharon Common who, through sheer determination, is fulfilling all her ambitions and dreams and is now appearing in various clubnights in Newcastle - dj'ed at Godskitchen a couple of weeks ago!!! Whereas I didn't even try!! Its taken her a few years but she is living proof that dreams can be fulfilled.

Blimey I dont think I can last another five years before seeing Orbital again and I am trying my damndest and hardest to get to Battersea.

To all the people I met up with and all the people I met for the first time tonight - thank you for making it such a memorable night for me - thank you Orbital for coming back. Missed you loads. Come back soon.

T
xx

Glastonbury 2010 - I have already made bets with people that you will appear. Blimey O Reilly - I have a lot riding on this don't let me down!!!

Off to bed soon with a smile that won't be wiped off for ages yet!!!
tcb2000
Adnan

Re: Newcastle 21.09.09 - SPOILER

Post by tcb2000 »

Was a fantastic gig - however, I disagree that the start was disappointing, it was Out There Somewhere! Widely regarded by many fans as their pinnacle! But as long as they floated your boat eventually then it's all good. Highlights for me were OTS, Know Where To Run (haven't heard that since Hammersmith in 2000 / 2001?) and the new variation on Chime - nice to hear Chime in the middle of the set instead. Was a bit disappointed with Dr?, it sounded a bit muddy. Overall, I think the sound and arrangement was excellent - looks like Paul has more time to concentrate on sounds and performance instead of having to fiddle with MMT8s all the time.

Ended up at the front next to the right speaker for the 2nd half, and what I lost in sound quality (was better towards the middle center) was made up in bass!

Great night, and good to see Sid after all these years!

Rich
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
dirtyepic
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by dirtyepic »

tcb2000 wrote:Was a fantastic gig - however, I disagree that the start was disappointing
I think I wasn't too clear with my previous post. I thought the lack of atmosphere was due to the subdued crowd at the beginning. Being able to hear people's conversations over the music was a bit offputting - but that's just me!

I was expecting a few more in the audience but really it ended up quite perfect.

I had been listening to Out There Somewhere just before leaving the house to make my way to the Academy!

I was probably just behind you at the right side of the stage, at the front.

And I met up with Sid also, after 10 years!

What a night. Just gutted that that's it!

T
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

Ah, fair enough, I think I get what you mean!

Yeah, I was stood right next to Sid in the 2nd half...agreed that it wasn't rammed as I'd expected - the venue reminds me of Brixton Academy but it's half the size...

Rich
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator