The Sun

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Loopz
Site Admin
Question: Orbital

The Sun

Post by Loopz »

Did anyone buy The Sun newspaper yesterday? Was this article article in the paper itself?
shadyboy
Oolaa
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: The Sun

Post by shadyboy »

Yeah, it was the main feature in the "Something For The Weekend" section. Full photo on the 1st page as per the what happens next photo and centre page spread with new photo maybe from the same shoot?

Sounds like they are back for good now?
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

As I haven't bought the Sun in years I wouldn't have seen this otherwise.

So cheers Steve.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Shrineboy
Saint

Post by Shrineboy »

An excuse to visit Sheffield and Newcastle.
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Shrineboy wrote:An excuse to visit Sheffield and Newcastle.
Yes indeed, just saw that... Aaarrghhh..... :P
tezleyflahflah
Saint

Post by tezleyflahflah »

Fancy The Sun beating the official website to announcing details of Orbital dates, what is the world coming to!? :D
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

“We’re also using new systems, a whole new update, which is exciting and scary at the same time. Finally computers have caught up with this ancient little box we used to sequence from.”
Damnit.
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

So, where does it say the following - I've searched...?

But if you go to their website, it still says: “2004, the final year for Orbital.”

8)
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

Timbob wrote:
“We’re also using new systems, a whole new update, which is exciting and scary at the same time. Finally computers have caught up with this ancient little box we used to sequence from.”
Damnit.
why damnit? doesn't that sound like we're in for some changes? or worried that it's not going to be as improvized?
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

user name wrote:
Timbob wrote:
Damnit.
why damnit? doesn't that sound like we're in for some changes? or worried that it's not going to be as improvized?
No, it's not that. I think a computer will give even more room for improvisation and variations, which will be interesting and probably very nice. But the old machinery did have it's charm.

But the thing that bugs me the most is that i just explained to a friend why orbital was really live. She isn't really into electronic music (it's all done by computers etc...) So when i said that the music was all mixed live with sequencers, mixers, keyboards etc i had a strong point. And now my position has weakend in that argument. How am i going to explain now that it's still live?
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

tezleyflahflah wrote:Fancy The Sun beating the official website to announcing details of Orbital dates, what is the world coming to!? :D
On the plus side, they can't spell "February", so all is not lost! :lol:

8)
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Timbob wrote:
No, it's not that. I think a computer will give even more room for improvisation and variations, which will be interesting and probably very nice. But the old machinery did have it's charm.

But the thing that bugs me the most is that i just explained to a friend why orbital was really live. She isn't really into electronic music (it's all done by computers etc...) So when i said that the music was all mixed live with sequencers, mixers, keyboards etc i had a strong point. And now my position has weakend in that argument. How am i going to explain now that it's still live?
I always hear the argument from people that all electronic musicians do is press buttons. To which I usually respond "& all a guitarist does is pluck a string, anyone could do that. Or perhaps I'm over simplifying things a bit?"

It gets a lot of them to at least rethink their standpoint.
OUT
OF
STEP
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

the PLA wrote:
Timbob wrote:

I always hear the argument from people that all electronic musicians do is press buttons. To which I usually respond "& all a guitarist does is pluck a string, anyone could do that. Or perhaps I'm over simplifying things a bit?"

It gets a lot of them to at least rethink their standpoint.

Yeah, some people just don't get it :P
If someone plays a melody on a piano it's ok, but when they use a synth it's suddenly not real anymore.

I don't really care how you make the music, as long as it sounds good. It's not the physical work you put in, it's the choices you make to create the sound.
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my view on it too.

Lots of people are making soulless garbage music regardless of what instruments they're playing. It's the work, thought, creativity & message behind songs that matter to me.
OUT
OF
STEP
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

usernick wrote:So, where does it say the following - I've searched...?

But if you go to their website, it still says: “2004, the final year for Orbital.”

8)

dont get me started on this. Even one of the mothers at Leah's school asked if the person from The Sun actually read anything on the website esp the news page! Whoever wroteit is probably some work experience wanna be NME journo!