Guess Orbitals setlist for the big chill here.

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: Guess Orbitals setlist for the big chill here.

Post by Timbob »

If they just play 2 big gaps with omen in the middle, i'd be happy as well.. :P

The Gaps didn't really bother me in brixton. Maybe because i was too psyched i went there all alone and had a great time :D
And i think gaps give it more of a concert feeling instead of a laptop set, makes the songs stand out more, instead of just being a part in a set where the beat thumbs on and the melodies are brought in as an easy aha erlebnis.
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Gaps are pretty good for piss and smoke breaks... Although neither Brixton nor Manchester have smoking places... :(

8)
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

I use to use Weekend Ravers as my piss break :)
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

personally i used to go for a piss in remind or the intro to satan, if i couldn't wait for the encore!
Timbob wrote:i think gaps give it more of a concert feeling instead of a laptop set, makes the songs stand out more, instead of just being a part in a set where the beat thumbs on
my point exactly , i just didn't put it so well ! i guess i see an orbital gig as a performance of different songs with different dynamics rather than a 'set' like a dj or a club set, but i guess with the whole dance vibe and where they come from it's bound to happen that some people want more of a dancy experience than others.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

No I really like the way they merge the tunes together, I can see the point that gaps give the tunes more prominance, but some of the best moments for me was when you can hear things like belfast bubbling under the prior tune. Quite often they strip the layers down so there are only a few tracks running before they build it up again... these moments are too good in my view and should NOT be swapped for a minute of silence (although it is fun to watch Phil say thankyou in his humble way).
There are hundreds of bands that do song/stop/song/stop etc etc. Part of the magic at an Orbital gig is the beautiful way the songs merge together so cohesively. Yes we know DJs do it all the time, but we all know there is no vinyl up there, just two guys who can thoroughly manipulate whats being processed. I certainly think the less gaps the better.

But dont get rid of them entirely... just have 2 and an encore :D
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

I'm with you memly. One of the reasons I've had enough of the chemical bros live is the huge gaps in their sets plus the noodling.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

davemacfrombath wrote:I'm with you memly. One of the reasons I've had enough of the chemical bros live is the huge gaps in their sets plus the noodling.
do they have gaps now? i thought they were seem less,at least i think they were last time i saw them...
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

user name wrote: do they have gaps now? i thought they were seem less,at least i think they were last time i saw them...
I dont remember there being many gaps last time I saw them (Bestival 07), but then again I dont remember too much about that night full stop
MEMS MUZAK
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

memly wrote:No I really like the way they merge the tunes together, I can see the point that gaps give the tunes more prominance, but some of the best moments for me was when you can hear things like belfast bubbling under the prior tune. Quite often they strip the layers down so there are only a few tracks running before they build it up again... these moments are too good in my view and should NOT be swapped for a minute of silence (although it is fun to watch Phil say thankyou in his humble way).
There are hundreds of bands that do song/stop/song/stop etc etc. Part of the magic at an Orbital gig is the beautiful way the songs merge together so cohesively. Yes we know DJs do it all the time, but we all know there is no vinyl up there, just two guys who can thoroughly manipulate whats being processed. I certainly think the less gaps the better.

But dont get rid of them entirely... just have 2 and an encore :D

Well. for me it works both ways. sometimes it's really cool to hear, as you said, belfast bubbling up from another song. But sometimes it makes the song stand out more if it starts from silence, that way a song has more of a build up.
I wouldn't say they should do a song / stop / song / stop routine. But i really don't mind a song / song / stop / song / song / song/ etc. format.
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

memly wrote:I wouldn't say they should do a song / stop / song / stop routine. But i really don't mind a song / song / stop / song / song / song/ etc. format.
hear hear! thats the ticket :applause
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

user name wrote:
memly wrote:I wouldn't say they should do a song / stop / song / stop routine. But i really don't mind a song / song / stop / song / song / song/ etc. format.
Exactly! Let's compromise. Mix a few take a small break mix a few more.
OUT
OF
STEP
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

user name wrote:
*takes a bow*
Why thank you...

...not entirely what I said but I will however take the praise and bask in the glory of being agreed with, while Timbob will just have to watch in horror as I muscle in.

In all seriousness, retrospectively looking at the last tour, I think there were too many gaps (for me). But then I am hoping for a set that integrates more MON stuff, I loved that tour and I still think its my favourite. Theres nothing I can add that I havent mentioned above, but ultimately they would have to make a complete pigs ear out of it for me to walk away not having enjoyed it.
I just really really want the set to be updated and different to what was going around in 04, less "mainstream" I suppose, I want more surprises!
They are celebratory gigs, so they should celebrate this by giving many of the songs an updated feel...Orbital are celebrated as one of the leading performers of live electronic music, famed for their unique ability to adapt spontaneously, and I for one am bloody excited about this!
MEMS MUZAK
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

i guess the mainsteam aspect came from it being a sort of best of set. i would think there going to do something like that again this time round too. with no new materiel i don't see what else they would do .

although i have to say that looking back , i also loved the MON stuff live . it would be good to hear some of that as well as out there somewhere, which leads us back to the thread of guess the set list. although i think mine is a bit of a wish list too so should go in the other list but who cares ! here
goes

remind
the girl with the sun in her head
belfast
satan
halcyon
chime
dr who
impact
you lot
one perfect sunrise

and id like to see

i don't know you people
know where to run
out there some where
lush euro tunnel disaster ( have you listened to that lately? great live too )
nothing from sniv in there so maybe sad but true or are we here
although style wouldn't go amiss too!
i could go on....
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

memly wrote:
user name wrote: do they have gaps now? i thought they were seem less,at least i think they were last time i saw them...
I dont remember there being many gaps last time I saw them (Bestival 07), but then again I dont remember too much about that night full stop
They've always had long gaps in their set I think... could be wrong. Last time I saw trhem was a Brixton a couple of years ago. I used to really enjoy their live sets but now they all seem the same - even when they play new stuff. Weird.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

user name wrote: although style wouldn't go amiss too!
Style - now there's a GROWER.