General Orb News Thread

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

shadyboy
Oolaa
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by shadyboy »

usernick wrote:
shadyboy wrote:Nice, but why Towers of Dub and Assassin on Disc 2?
Both are easy to get a hold of - they should have put Silver Machine and Hashassin on there....
They'll probably be in a future boxset! :P

And, I guess that "Towers Of Dub (Ambient Mix)" was only really available on vinyl (although a version was included on UFOff)... Also, Assassin was a "single" off UFOrb, so I guess that a version of some sorts would have to be on there?

Still, I think that the live version of O.O.B.E., and the mixes of Close Encounters and Majestic (assuming it's not the Millwall mix) are exclusive?
Think you're right about the exclusives Nick. The Hashassin track I think is the original Assassin with the Bobby Gillespie vocal - would have been nice to get that along with the now infamous Silver Machine, but you never know there could be some more tracks with the I-Tunes version.

On another note, The Dream is released on the 10th of Sept - still unconfirmed if the covers album "Orb-ups" will be with it....
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Various - I'll Be Black - The Orb Jukebox (2CD)

(Released 15th October)

Disc 1

Liquidator - Harry J All Stars
Double Barrel - Dave & Ansel Collins
Long Shot Kick De Bucket - The Pioneers
Auntie Lulu - Clancy Eccles
Ain't No Sunshine - Ken Boothe
Three Piece Chicken & Chips - Ranking Trevor
Uptown Top Ranking - Althea & Donna
It's Raining - The Three Tops
Screaming Target (Version Two) - Big Youth
We're Hot - Ranking Miss P
Cool Down The Pace (10" mix) - Gregory Isaacs
Sitting In The Park - Slim Jim
First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Marcia Griffiths
Alton's Official Daughter - Alton Ellis
Alton's Official Daughter (Version 2) - Herman Chin-Loy
Dr Kitch - Lord Kitchener
Ali Baba - John Holt
I Trim The Barber - King Tubby
Caring For My Sister - Scientist
Queen Majesty - The Techniques
A Rougher Version - Johnny Clarke

Disc 2

Enter The Dragon - The Upsetters
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner - Michael Rose
Clap The Barber - Michael Rose
Man Ah Warrior - Tapper Zukie
Beaming - Scientist
Come On Little Girl/King Of Kings Dub/Second Cut - King Tubby
Son Of Al Capone - Joe `The Boss' Mansano
Bam Bam - Sister Nancy
Bam Bam - The Maytals With Byron Lee & The Dragonaires
Underground Root - Lee `Scratch' Perry
Mr. Brown's Coffin - Dennis Alcapone
Maingy Dog - Bunny Flip
Free The Weed/Free The Dub - Rupie Edward's All Stars
Scientist - Scientist
Bad Day At Black Rock - Joe `The Boss' Mansano
Bells Of Death / I Am Alright - Augustus Pablo
Beyond The Realms Of The Orb - Mad Orb
9.27 To Norbury - Mad Orb
Sipple Dub - The Upsetters
Tower Twenty Three - The Orb
Hole In The Sky (Wave Version) - Mad Orb
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

It appears that the deluxe UFOrb has been put back to the 1st of Oct.....
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Got my copy of The Dream today - had a quick listen.
It's a bit :? right now to be honest, production is smooth and dubby but sounds like it was made in 1991. No progression....
geedub

Post by geedub »

Just listening to The Dream now (why does the Japanese market need these things many months before the rest of the world??) - isn't quite what I was expecting but that's probably a good thing.

Definitely a step back in the dubby direction - also a good thing. And LX has been working overtime on the samples :P . First impresssions are very pleasing - might be one of the best Orb things in a while...but then again Okey Dokey was probably the only Orb thing I didn't like...
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Listening to The Dream for a good week solid now and opinion veers from pleasant ambient dub (The Dream, High Noon, Codes) to piss-poor Transit-King cast-offs (Vuja De, DDD is fukin awful) to thinking that they really are Pink Floyd now (A Beautiful Day).
It's a shame, cos you can hear that it has a very accomplished production & mix but it's just so very dull, safe and predictable, which is one thing an Orb lp shoud not be.
The most consistent LP they have done since Orblivion, but listen to the UFOrb deluxe edition after The Dream, and you can really tell that LX needs to swallow his pride and give Thrash a cheque for his royalties cos he needs him back at his side....
usernick
Detached

Rootmasters - Push Once - 10" Vinyl - Available now

Post by usernick »

rootmasters: push once 10" vinyl £5.00

rootmasters is driven by alex paterson & nina walsh... the album will be out in 2008 and this limited edition vinyl 10" is here to whet your appetite…
TRACKLISTING:
ROOT ONE: book of hours, janis joplin’s mum ROOT TWO: elephant puddle, book of hours [AUTOLUMP]

here's what kris needs had to say:"The Rootmasters are Dr Alex Paterson, taking time out from completing an amazing new Orb album, and Nina Walsh, whose been ploughing her own unique electronic furrow for the last 15 years since running Sabrettes and collaborating with all sorts of well-known reprobates and rabbit impersonators. The debut album hatched in their South London studio over the past year is trailered with a ten-inch featuring four tasty morsels which will swiftly lodge themselves in your pleasure sacs, insidiously working their magic from within. 'Book Of Hours' is a metronomic dub-pulser topped with distant vocals which appear to be Lx somewhat recalling Metal Box Lydon. It comes with an Autolump version which starts with toupee-whisking duberama before a tribal techno beat steams in after three minutes, unleashing divebomb fx attacking a toilet-straining hippo and whistle-hook. The lovely 'Janis Joplin's Room' is deep and dreamy, all dismembered voice bites before Nina's vocals and stately oceanic theme with gentle hippo flatulence for percussion. 'Elephant Puddle' rides tough, almost military, breaks ushering in sonic madness and extra-terrestrial melodies before a booming bass riff takes it in a new, deranged direction which somehow ends up floating in space-jazz territory. With studio trickery, rampant exploration and avant garde whoopee of the highest order, Rootmasters have turned out a magic bus where riding is pure, brain-scrambling pleasure."

Available from the Malicious Damage website.
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

I wish I was in Japan... :shock:

hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

blimey...
dance your cares away, worries for another day
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Release date for The Dream in the UK apparently is 18th Feb through Big Life....