Gorillaz

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Clipitar
Question: Orbital

Gorillaz

Post by Clipitar »

I have listened 2 or 3 times to Gorillaz' new album (Demon Days) and I must say it's fantastic. It got almost everything from the last album, only even better -- not to mention that first single Feel Good Inc. should be a huge success (or at least deserves to be).

Such a mix of different ideas and styles should be a awful mess, but somehow, it all seems to make sense. Very impressive stuff.

Damon Albarn keeps on amazing me at every new thing he does... Is it just me?
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by memly »

Yeh I'm loving Feel Good Inc.
The video is great too.
Am looking forward to seeing what Dj Dangermouse has done in the absence of Dan The Automator.
Have enjoyed most of what Dan the Automator has done in the last few years, and I know nothing about this Dangermouse fella.
angrylittlesoldier

Post by angrylittlesoldier »

Dangermouses "Grey Album" was terrible. Jay z and the Beatles just don't go together. I'm waiting for my vinyl copy to become a little bit rarer and then banging it on ebay
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

Hey Tim. I'm with you - 'Grey Album's dreadful stuff. But you can tell he's a competent producer from it, and he's really done a great job with the Gorillaz album. Very good stuff.

But yeah, get rid of 'Grey Album'. Horrible shit, that is.

Funky Dung
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."
cheese
Saint

Post by cheese »

I agree clipitar. Have now listened to the album a few times and it gets better every time I hear it. Not a skip track on it IMHO
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

cheese wrote:Not a skip track on it IMHO
my phone doesn't seem to agree - there's something funny about the 128kbit/s copies i downloaded the other day that makes the phone's mp3 player skip to the next track at consistent points in a lot of the songs. no idea why, never encountered that before. have obtained a different (better bitrate :D - i hate 128k mp3s) rip now, will have to give it another go.

from what i've heard so far, i reckon there's some i like and some i don't. roots manuva & martina topley bird on the same track makes me very happy.
i never got into the first album actually - didn't give it too much of a chance, i think the gimmick put me off but also i don't really like daman albarn's voice - sorry....
dance your cares away, worries for another day
III
Sinner

Post by III »

I'm quite a fan of Mr.Albarn's stuff - this album has some high points and some low points, but then that sums up Gorillaz in a t really.

I feel that Feel Good, inc could be 5 minutes longer.
"And prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

*Tardis* Weeh WURRR

Phil: Hold on a minute...

Phil: Oh, that's better.. thankyou!
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by memly »

hippy dave wrote: i never got into the first album actually - didn't give it too much of a chance, i think the gimmick put me off but also i don't really like daman albarn's voice - sorry....
I totally bought into the gimmick. I thought the idea was great (although not original).
Jamie Hewletts artwork is fantastic IMO, the way that the music crossed so many genres; the production and the way that the background of the band had been meticulously thought out, even to the extent of taking it out on "tour".

The music vids were just jaw droppingly cool and plenty of potential to make a killing on merchandise.
Its a formula that in the right hands can and has succeeded.
:D

Hes certainly got a way with a pencil :wink:
custard99
Omen
Location: planet hottie near the equator makes this duckie's tail all warped & bothered!

Post by custard99 »

i do luv alban too .. saving to get a copy!
Quack! Dip, sip & Go!! Or, just do the kitty shake.