Rubber Johnny

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

GoatSucker

Rubber Johnny

Post by GoatSucker »

Johnny is a hyperactive, shape-shifting mutant child, kept locked away in a basement. With only his feverish imagination and his terrified dog for company, he finds ways to amuse himself in the dark.

Rubber Johnny is the latest creation from the UK’s most imaginative filmmaker. Featuring music by legendary electronic composer, Aphex Twin, this nightmarish and hallucinatory experimental short film is accompanied by 40 pages of drawings and photographs - Cunningham’s first published book of original artwork.

Trailer at http://www.rubberjohnny.tv/

Looks really fucked up!
III
Sinner
Question: Orbital

Post by III »

That looks totally fucked.
"And prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

*Tardis* Weeh WURRR

Phil: Hold on a minute...

Phil: Oh, that's better.. thankyou!
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Looking forward to this ever since i saw the original Drukqs advert :) mad :)
Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

Loopz wrote:Looking forward to this ever since i saw the original Drukqs advert :) mad :)
aah yes..

aaaaaaaa.... phheeeeexxxx x x x x

that one was pure brilliance.. :D
this looks good tho..
nice link..
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Reading last Sunday's Observer arts mag I saw a review of this. It comes with a book with 40 of the directors photos and drawings. Seems good value.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

I went to a screening of this last night. Very... odd! (as you'd expect)

Only six minutes long, so the DVD itself isn't exactly wonderful value, but with the book it's great for Cunningham/Aphex fans. Starts off like that web trailer with an out-of-focus 'interview' for a minute or so, then there's a bit with a little dog eating some food and looking at Johnny in his wheelchair (the dog's got big eyes like the girls in that PlayStation ad he did). Johnny's just a skinny bloke with a huge head and a bit of an odd face. Looks like Aphex, actually.

Anyway, then the music starts up and it's all mental noisy dark glitchy bleepy screechy stuff, while the clip cuts and flashes really fast in time with the music, showing loads of bits of Johnny doing rave dancing and wheeleies in his wheelchair. At one point the music stops, the door to the basement opens and someone shouts "Oi! Stop doing that! You look like a big twat!" or something, before starting again when the door shuts. Then there's a cool bit with his face splatting onto some glass and looking all rubbery. And that's it.

So yeah. It's kind of a really twisted video for another twisted Aphex Twin track. A lot of the artwork in the book appears to be strange unidentifiable body parts, which is also very disturbing.

Funky Dung
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

*not reading funky's post*

sometime soon we'll have a warp vs london something orchestra concert here in amsterdam, and they'll show the rubber johnny movie in the break :D

and it has a warp dj afterparty

sounds like good clean fun 8)
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses