Dr What?

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

davemacfrombath
The Moebius
Question: Orbital

Post by davemacfrombath »

Hexaphim wrote:Oh, I've seen Shallow Grave, just didn't know any of the actors' names except Ewan McGregor back then... thinking back, Eccleston must have played the new roommate, right?
Eccleston played the roommate who had to chop up the body and subsequently went barking mad...
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

davemacfrombath wrote:Eccleston played the roommate who had to chop up the body and subsequently went barking mad...
Hunh... I thought he was a really wimpy guy with glasses, whereas Eccleston looks more like the mean gangster type. Oh well, I guess that means he's a pretty good actor, then. :)
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
Tyler
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Tyler »

memly wrote:Were all the previous Doctors that chirpy in the face of imminent death?
Generally, but some more than others. Tom Baker was the chirpiest of them all.

Here, have a jelly baby... :lol:
custard99
Omen
Location: planet hottie near the equator makes this duckie's tail all warped & bothered!

Post by custard99 »

only dr from tv i remembered watching were dr duncan and dr stewart with that funny afro hair
Quack! Dip, sip & Go!! Or, just do the kitty shake.

Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

Utter pants!
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Yeah, sorry to say it but I thought it was shite.
Hoping it gets better, though!
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Some people seem to be forgetting that it's aimed at today's kids, not ageing fanboys. :lol:

*coat*
"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in your beliefs, and prove to me I am not mistaken in mine."
And they DID come back. Ha!
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Its the same people who thought the new Star Wars films would suddenly become aimed at adults. *Wrong* :) I dont think i laffed so much at Dr Who before :)
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

Ok, I can't let that one pass, Steve. :P

DISCLAIMER: This post is written by a Star Wars geek, it is kind of long and very geeky.

The Phantom Menace is a MUCH more "childish" movie than A New Hope ever was.

I've recently rewatched the prequels, and gained a new appreciation of them, but I noticed some things:

1. Jar Jar Binks. Where's the equivalent character in A New Hope? Please point out the goofy alien that steps in shit and talks like a six-year old, I must have missed it.

2. Aliens in general. The new alien races presented in The Phantom Menace look universally cartoony and "funny", with only a few exceptions (the Kel Dor being a very notable exception). Granted, there are some "silly" alien races in A New Hope, but most of them are kind of sinister. Also, in A New Hope, aliens speak strange, alien languages. In The Phantom Menace, aliens speak English (or Basic if you will) with stupid accents (this was rectified somewhat in Attack of the Clones, which is superior to The Phantom Menace).

3. Han Solo / Greedo. In the original un-f*cked-with version of A New Hope, Han Solo took Greedo (the Rodian bounty hunter in the Cantina) out before Greedo had the chance to loose a shot. Very cold hearted, but utterly cool.

4. The charred, smoking corpses of Luke's adoptive parents. Would you see that in A Phantom Menace?

5. Character names. When you have your children name your characters, you get names like Jar Jar Binks, Boss Nass, Watto and Yaddle.

If pressured, I will grant you that A New Hope might be a family movie. A Phantom Menace, however, is a movie for kids.

That doesn't mean that I hate A Phantom Menace, though. As I said, it's grown on me (although it's my least favorite Star Wars movie), but I feel I must speak up when people say that the Star Wars movies have always been for kids.

(For those who feel the need to mention Ewoks: in the original script for Star Wars, they were supposed to be Wookies. But Lucas decided to kidify them for Return of the Jedi and changed them into Ewoks,)

> End rant :)
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

Tyler wrote:Some people seem to be forgetting that it's aimed at today's kids, not ageing fanboys. :lol:

*coat*
I never used to watch 'Doctor Who', I just love the theme. I only watched the first ep of the new series to see what Christopher Eccleston would be like and now I know...
"Gimme the sight to see
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Well, I loved the new Dr Who, and yup, it's supposed to be a kids TV show, but I hate the Phantom Menace! :lol:

This talk about the Phantom Menace reminds me of 'Spaced' somewhat! :P
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Hex - you know what i would think about your rant :) I'm just quoting what the people behind star wars say...it was made for kids :)
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

wasnt Star Wars a "U" ?
kazeo
Novice

Post by kazeo »

wasnt Star Wars a "U"?
you mean as in bend? as in it was flushworthy?

uh, dr who? was inspired fabness, or at least that is what i think. sorry to all the people who think it should have been slightly more cerebal or something, but it was sheer entertainment. i think i'm going to laugh everytime i think of the london eye now, even though that is a typical reaction, but at least now it will be because of it's use as a transmitter of alien radio waves. i can't wait until next saturday to watch the face of bo! i really can't.

also, was i the only one who was expecting some kraftwerk to start playing when the autons ran havoc in the shopping center?
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

No, you weren't... "We are showroom dummies..."
"Gimme the sight to see