Reading while listening to Orbital

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Analogueboy70
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Reading while listening to Orbital

Post by Analogueboy70 »

Hi peeps! Brand spanking new to the forum, big round heloooos to everybody that loves the circular legends!

Years ago, back in 93 when I first heard Impact and the Brown album, I was at the time also reading the hard sci-fi classic "Forge Of God" by Greg Bear. I always felt that it was perfect to read about our planet earth literally being torn apart, whilst us humans where sitting and watching it happen (in the story) and hearing "Impact (the earth is burning)". The last inhabitants get rescued by higher beings and get whisked away, but that is just a small part of the tail.
I just thought that listening to the Brown album was so perfect to go with that story.
Greg Bears "Eon" was the sequel to "Forge Of God", anybody read these books and listen to Orbital, or do you read any other books whilst the electronic legends are playing in the background?

Thank you!

Martin
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Re: Reading while listening to Orbital

Post by Timbob »

Analogueboy70 wrote:Hi peeps! Brand spanking new to the forum, big round heloooos to everybody that loves the circular legends!

Years ago, back in 93 when I first heard Impact and the Brown album, I was at the time also reading the hard sci-fi classic "Forge Of God" by Greg Bear. I always felt that it was perfect to read about our planet earth literally being torn apart, whilst us humans where sitting and watching it happen (in the story) and hearing "Impact (the earth is burning)". The last inhabitants get rescued by higher beings and get whisked away, but that is just a small part of the tail.
I just thought that listening to the Brown album was so perfect to go with that story.
Greg Bears "Eon" was the sequel to "Forge Of God", anybody read these books and listen to Orbital, or do you read any other books whilst the electronic legends are playing in the background?

Thank you!

Martin
I was reading 1984 when listening to snivilisation. Also a nice experience. It's quite a creepy and abstract album, really fits the story :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
Analogueboy70

Post by Analogueboy70 »

I was reading 1984 when listening to snivilisation. Also a nice experience. It's quite a creepy and abstract album, really fits the story :D
Hi Timbob, I have only seen the film, but I guess the book is a lot more revealing. Reminds me of North Korea. Though Snivilisation seems abstract I did get a big sense of oppression from the overall feeling of the tracks. I remember Are We here & Sad But True having political undertones connected with the criminal justice bill that came into being after the Major cabinet.
What with how things are now, Orbital seems very relevant & a much needed relief!

best regards
Martin
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

I applaud you guys... I cant read and listen to songs at the same time.

I tried this method when I picked up War of the Worlds (original HG Wells version - not the book of the Tom Cruise film!);
I thought Orbitals music would suit this down to the ground. It does, but I found myself rereading the same paragraph for most of the album, too counterproductive for me.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Wickerman
Novice

Post by Wickerman »

Orbital are great reading music - especially the soundtracky stuff...

Has anyone heard Lindstrom's 'Where You Go I Go Too' album? I always find that's great for reading, writing, and long train journeys. It's like Pink Floyd gone disco!