Wonky Album Review

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

rubicon
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: Wonky Album Review

Post by rubicon »

A friend at work was able to find Wonky on the web . I just finished it , what a amazing album . Insdes has always been my fav. but this is great . I'll have to lisen to this all night , every track was a treat . I have lisned to Orbital every day since I was given the Brown album on tape back in the early 90's .
Mindphaser

Post by Mindphaser »

Wonky is great[possible album of the year]and I`d put it up there with there with the Brown album and In Sides. Distractions is my favourite track, Orbital at their best. I just wish there was an extra track or two, I`m left wanting more.
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

Where Is It Going? was amazing in Leeds the other night! Well all of it was actually. :D
nightfloat

Post by nightfloat »

My copy came in on Thursday, just before we picked up the car for our little road trip that I so wanted to get the CD before! Woo!

Most of my listening has been in the car with the constant hum of the Autobahn drowning some of it out, but I just had a good listen with headphones this morning and can say that I am quite happy with the album, although this is no surprise. (I'm among those who didn't really dislike any of Orbital's output. Except "Tootled". Damn, that one sucks.)

One Big Moment - like a grandfather clock heralding their return. Chirpy and summery and nice.
Straight Sun - I love this so much. I guess I don't really know what else to say about it. A huge highlight for me.
Never - The vocal samples here irked me at first but it all comes together so beautifully in the second half that I wouldn't have it any other way.
New France - My favorite. The thing that I love most about Orbital is that while other electronic artists often stick almost entirely to either chipper or dark themes, Orbital puts them together into the same song. It's pure poetry. I've listened many times now and still get a bit teary on this one.
Distractions - I love everything about this, from the dark feel to those beedly-deedly noises, but those vocal samples just don't work for me; they make the song a bit like a parody of itself. They seem silly. I would love to hear a reworked version without them (although from the interview they put up on YouTube, sounds like they were the point so I doubt I will get my wish!).
Stringy Acid - On the first two listens I thought this was just a bit too retro and a little plain. Then it all came together. I can't stop moving; I love it.
Beelzebeat - I'm among those few Orbital fans who never had a special affection for Satan. This is a solid, well-done song, but I can't help feel a little disappointed when Stringy Acid is over. ;)
Wonky - The rapping is okay (except....is she saying "I'm a hideous cow"!??!....) but I'd like to hear it without. I feel the rapping and the cat association, which I'd never have thought of myself, distract a bit from the awesomeness that is this song. This is going to tear shit up live.
Where Is It Going? - Classic. I hope it goes on.
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

I love this album so much! Can't stop playing it!
Wonky - The rapping is okay (except....is she saying "I'm a hideous cow"!??!....)
I think she's saying "I'm a hideous gal"

8)
sinner
Saint

Post by sinner »

I'm still waiting for my copy, so I don't want to discover fully from shit mp3. I listened to it just 3 times, but I want to hear it from the original CD henceforth.
nightfloat

Post by nightfloat »

Did someone already post the Pitchfork review and I just missed it?

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16458-wonky/
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

Quite a good review. But I don't agree with the Beelzedub part :)
Mindphaser

Post by Mindphaser »

Yeah, I don`t agree with the criticism of Beezledub. Initially it wasn`t one of my favourites, but it`s just such good fun and nice and raw and old school. Top tune.
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

Still listening to Wonky at least once a day. I love this album so much! :D
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

Just been listening to Patchwork Guilt. This would go on the Wonky quite nicely 8)
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Pirtek wrote:Just been listening to Patchwork Guilt. This would go on the Wonky quite nicely 8)

Agreed. One of my faves on Paul's album that one.
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3