ROYKSOPP - new album out in June

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

Hexaphim wrote:
They've been playing it for years, with completely different vocals (and lyrics). In the live version they sang the vocals themselves, heavily vocoded.

The singing on this new version made me really hate it.
they should've done the old live version..
not this sorta R&B vocal on top...

maybe it's their sense of humor :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Ok lifted this interview from the Radio 1 website...

Royksopp have plugged the vacuum vacated by Air. Their melancholic electronica is beautifully moody and it won't be long, if it hasn't happened already, before coffee tables and dinner parties are rendered incomplete without Royksopp permeating the airwaves. OneMusic caught up with them to see how they captured their lush and gentle sound on their held-together-with-chewing-gum kit. Sticky.

Torbien: "The music itself is based on programming electronic equipment, analogue equipment, digital equipment and incorporating more traditional instruments into it.
Sven: "...spiced up with all the emotions you can possibly fit inside a human being. I guess that some of the best Drum and Bass out there is probably made in cellars without windows. But for us we need to have a window."

Their instruments
T: "My favourite instruments are the Akai sampler, a pair of decks and Wavelab. My favourite midi sequencer is Voyetra software, programmed in DOS, a Sequencer Plus Gold, which is a really fast programming device where you don't use the mouse. It's a bit like Fast Tracker, for those of you who know that programme, but it's even simpler."

Digital Vs Analogue
S: "Sometimes we need the precision of digital plug-ins and so on but I guess we would prefer to use the manual stuff. It's much more fun to turn knobs than to use a mouse. A combination of the two is perfect. I think that most of our gear, at least the old bits, are slowly dying on us."

Computer Crashes
T: "When we started out making music we worked with hard drives - youd be using the drum machines and the sampler and suddenly after you'd been going for hours the power goes and everything is lost. It's happened twice with me and each time I have sat down, bit my hand, and then started programming everything all over again and it's always turned out to be better than it was before."

Performing Live
T: "It's a challenge to try to do anything with electronic music live. People want to see the energy between manually triggering sounds. They can see that a guy flaps his foot and there is this little thing that bumps into the bass drum and you feel it in your stomach. That connection is very often lost in electronic music and we haven't had time since we released the album to learn how to play it best."
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

"It's a bit like Fast Tracker, for those of you who know that programme, but it's even simpler."

oh wow
never thought they would use programs like that :D

nice interview memly 8)
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Heard the new single on Radio 1 the other day. Can't say I was impressed.
In all honesty I thought it was gash. They should def stick to the soundscapy stuff and less of the shocking vocals (IMO obviously :wink: )
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Dollydagger
Open Mind

Post by Dollydagger »

Performing Live
T: "It's a challenge to try to do anything with electronic music live. People want to see the energy between manually triggering sounds. They can see that a guy flaps his foot and there is this little thing that bumps into the bass drum and you feel it in your stomach. That connection is very often lost in electronic music and we haven't had time since we released the album to learn how to play it best."
:lol:

I think there are many people on here who may find that funny!
I don't use Myspace anymore, you'll find me on Facebook ;-b
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

yeah so, what's the deal with royksopp and live?
i see these sort of puns everywhere, i don't get it...

do they fake it?
or what?

it looked pretty live last time i saw them :oops:
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

An advance copy has been observed online.

Sounds good so far... :)
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

it sounds pop!
this could be a good thing or a bad thing, i don't know yet. :D

i shall listen some more. 8)
Shrineboy
Saint

TICKETS FOR ROYKSOPP

Post by Shrineboy »

Where: Koko, London
When: WEDNESDAY, 22/06/2005, doors at 19:30.
£15 + booking fee, postage etc

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region ... ent=127302