Star Wars Episode 3 Spoiler Thread

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Bolly
LC1
Question: Orbital

Post by Bolly »

FANTASTIC!!! Nuff said........................For now!
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

Then again, Dolly, you like Ewoks and loved Episode I... your opinions on Star Wars aren't relevant. ;)

I'm kidding, of course.
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

Dollydagger wrote:
... Haydn Christensen, he even seemed to make Natalie Portman look wooden.
he got wood because of her!!! :D:D:DD :D:Dddd!!!11!!11:roll :D:D:D:D :!:!!!11!!

ok, crap joke

carry on
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

It seems like every review mentions the word Wooden acting. Its a journo thing i guess :)
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

I loved it.
There were a few bits (like the wobbly cloned heads) that were a bit iffy.
I thought Hayden was great, the comedy elements worked so much better than the previous two (especially R2 trying to muffle Obi's phone thingy)
The blue screen stuff seemed less imposing than Ep2, which is by far my least favourite, and the way it tied up all the loose ends was good.

The only thing I thought was inconsistant (and please tell me if I got this wrong), but I thought that the droids would have had some kind of "memory loss", cos surely C3P0 would have told Luke everything he needed to know about Anakin Skywalker... or maybe in that galaxy Skywalker is as common as Smith?

All in all I was happy with the final installment; very dark and less political than Eps 1 & 2.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

When Antilles is given the two droids in Episode III he's told to memory wipe the protocol droid.

One inconsistency that bothers me is from Episode VI: Luke asks Leia if she remembers her mother, and Leia says she only remembers a little... apparently she was very sad.

She COULD be talking about her adoptive mother, of course, and not Padmé (who she had no way of remembering), but SHE didn't seem too sad...
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
Bolly
LC1

Post by Bolly »

"She COULD be talking about her adoptive mother, of course, and not Padmé (who she had no way of remembering), but SHE didn't seem too sad..."

When Luke ask's if Leia remembers her REAL mother she replies "just a LITTLE bit, she died when i was VERY young" she also says all she remembers are images and feelings. Although Luke says he has no memory of his mother, Leia's in-built force powers could have had something to do with this, but she is refering to Padmé.
Nichevo
Novice

Post by Nichevo »

Easily the best of the prequels by a long shot. Episode I was very disappointing with maybe two really good bits (podrace and three-way lightsabre duel at the end); Episode II was much better but still suffered from some woeful dialogue and dodgy performances (particularly in the romance scenes between Anakin and Padme).

Episode III still had its fair share of clangers in the dialogue department but it wasn't as grating as in Episodes I and II. Christenssen was mostly convincing and McGregor finally seemed relaxed in his role. But, egads, Vader's "NOOOOOO!"... and that youngling's performance in the Jedi Temple sequence were probably the only bits I really cringed at.

But this episode had many impressive moments.I thought the montage sequence of the clones turning on the Jedi was very well done and, of course, the Anakin/ Obi Wan and Yoda/Sidious duels at the end were great. Anakin on fire and then subsequently on the operation table were easily some of the most intense imagery of all six films.

So, by and large, I'm happy and satisfied. Now all we have to do is wait for the Episode III DVD so we can watch all six films on chronological order. It'll be interesting to see how this last instalment affects my reaction to the original trilogy.
That escalated quickly.
capsaicin

Post by capsaicin »

I saw it opening night... I thought it was pretty meh. It had its moments of greatness (the opening sequence was fantastic) but there were certain things that were just awful. For example:

"You're so beautiful."
"Only because I'm in love."
"No, it's because I'm so in love with you!"

ARRRGGGHHH. Also, there's the obvious scene at the end with Darth Vader, complete with James Earl Jones' voice, screaming "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" (this made the entire theater burst into laughter when I saw it)

Also, what's up with Grievous? First off, Grievous is such a ridiculous, silly name, it makes my head hurt. Second, they never fully explain his character! My mate and I were wondering for half the film why the bloody hell a droid was coughing and breathing, and then right before he dies we discover he's not entirely droid. But they never tell us how, or why it's important, etc.

edit: I forgot to mention that 1) Hayden Christianson (sp?) is one of the WORST ACTORS EVER and casting him was a horrible mistake, and 2) why is Natalie Portman still playing Padme? She was good in the first episode, but shouldn't the character have aged by now? She looks exactly the same.
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

The reasons for Grievous's coughing are is shown in the Clone Wars cartoon, which details what happens between Episode II and III.

Grievous is an über-fighter-droid in the cartoon, killing a shitload of jedi. At the end of the last episode, as he's boarding the shuttle that is to carry him and the kidnapped Chancellor off Coruscant, Mace Windu uses his force powers on Grievous to try and stop him from leaving, "crushing" his chest in a force grip.

He fails to stop Grievous, but the droid starts coughing as it's making its escape.

Mind you, I'd forgotten all about this, and thought the coughing was weird, until I rewatched Clone Wars after having seen Episode III.

Ok, when I think about it, it's STILL weird, but it ultimately didn't make the movie any less enjoyable, in my opinion. :)

** edited several times for rephrasing and spellchecking :) **
The Hex

capsaicin

Post by capsaicin »

It still doesn't really address how he came to be part droid and part organic, though... I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering about this.
Dollydagger
Open Mind

Post by Dollydagger »

Loopz wrote:It seems like every review mentions the word Wooden acting. Its a journo thing i guess :)
Well I hadn't read any reviews and have not seen anyone else call them wooden apart from in this thread after me :P
It was my honest opinion, that's all. And believe me, I didn't wanna feel like this, I SO wanted to love this film and it all just felt a bit wet to me. Still, I will be seeing it again that's for sure...
I don't use Myspace anymore, you'll find me on Facebook ;-b
Bolly
LC1

Post by Bolly »

It still doesn't really address how he came to be part droid and part organic
He was an alien who was in a really bad starship crash. And what was left of him was put in a droid body.
capsaicin

Post by capsaicin »

Where do they tell us this? I'm sure it wasn't in the movie, was it in the cartoon? Or the novels?
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

Grievous's background isn't fully explained anywhere, other than the expanded universe books, but I like that. He's just a creature, like in the old Star Wars movies, where you were just happy to be watching a cool creature, and didn't need a complete explanation (but one was out there to track down, if you really cared). Nobody knew what Darth Vader was for ages.

But yeah, basically, Grievous was an alien general who was practically killed but then built into a robot body (a kind of precursor to what they did with Darth Vader) and trained by Count Dooku in lightsaber arts so that he could actually defeat Jedi. The Episode III Visual Dictionary says that he resents now being a droid, which I think's a nice touch. :) He's also got some kind of chip in his brain to improve reactions from his brain to his cyborg body, again making him faster.

I personally think it would have been a great touch if it had been Darth Maul that they'd used as the organic part of Grievous. His top half could have been rescued by Palpatine and built into a droid, explaining why he was so good with lightsabers and had such good reactions, plus it would link nicely with Palpatine wanting to resurrect his apprentices with droid technology (ie. Vader). Fans would have loved it too. Should have got me in as script writer. :roll:

Funky Dung
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."