Electronica/IDM style recommendations

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

RickySteamBoat
Saint
Question: Orbital

Electronica/IDM style recommendations

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Hi all Krazy Kids,
I know i very rarely post on here anymore, but as i say whenever i do post, I am a daily lurker. And watch n'read everything.

Its taken a while but i have now fallen fowl yet again of the situation where i have nothing to listen to and cant find anything in the Eectronica/IDM genre that excites me. I find that alot of it has become very throwaway-ish.
So i find i'm forced to come out of my hole in the ground and request some help in the form of some recommendations that i can check out.
If i can pin down the style of electronica i'm into, i would label it as heavy on melody and light on fucked up, mad beats. I do love squelchyness and clicky rhythms alot though.
If i could find some artists in the style of
Ochre, Digitonal, Arovane, esem, Lackluster, Christ., Abfahrt Hinwil, Multiplex, Tri-Repetae era Autechre, etc.... I'd be over the moon. I'm hoping some of you chaps might point me in the right direction.
Trompurple, Mr Loopz and Aed(is even still here), were always great and well clued in on that front. So if you guys can help that would be great. But i'll gladly take recommendations from everyone, cause you're all great :D
So please.... what have you got for me??????

ricky
Last edited by RickySteamBoat on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willsy
The Moebius

Post by Willsy »

I've been listening to the Last Resort album by Trentemoller loads recently, great album.
"You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really"
Nigel Tufnel talking about his song "Lick My Love Pump" - This Is Spinal Tap.

http://www.myspace.com/willsydesignuk
Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

http://www.discogs.com/release/211405

Tba - Tba
Not easy to find, maybe not easy to listen to.
but great :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

My best discoveries of the last year and a bit...

The Gasman - The Love Collection (planet µ)
Ansolutely top recommendation for melodic forward thinking electronica, some of it maybe too on the fucked up side for you Ricky but definitely well worth amazonning. His other stuff is quality too but maybe start with this one. Comparisons with his Cornish contemporary are (for once) deserved.

Squarepusher - Hello Everything. Never been a big fan but a fantastic release. Best squarepusher album?

enjoy :)
Mashed Potatoes? Why do hate mashed potatoes? (It's a hoax, I don't really hate them)
hippy dave
Meltdown

Re: Electronica/IDM style recommendations

Post by hippy dave »

RickySteamBoat wrote:Its taken a while but i have now fallen fowl yet again
damn chickens :x
dance your cares away, worries for another day
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

trompurple wrote:My best discoveries of the last year and a bit...

The Gasman - The Love Collection (planet µ)
Ansolutely top recommendation for melodic forward thinking electronica, some of it maybe too on the fucked up side for you Ricky but definitely well worth amazonning. His other stuff is quality too but maybe start with this one. Comparisons with his Cornish contemporary are (for once) deserved.

Squarepusher - Hello Everything. Never been a big fan but a fantastic release. Best squarepusher album?

enjoy :)
Hey cheers Trom dude,
I've only ever heard of the Gasman, will check out and let ya know what i think.
As far as Hello Everything is concerned, i reckon its without doubt squarepushers finest album.
Its not as pretentious as some of his earlier stuff. I'm not too big into anything after Hard Normal Daddy, however this is a fantastic album!

Anyway, thanks again :D :) !
Last edited by RickySteamBoat on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Ricky

I will have some recommendations for you by next week. Away from home at the moment so i cant check names of CD's :)
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Trom: I maneged to get hold of The Gas mans album. Pretty damn good. Bit clicky in parts buts its got some lovely melodies in there too!

Mr Loopz: Did you get a chance to dig anything up for me??

ricky
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

Aaron Spectre - VERY nice stuff!!!
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Sorry about delay Ricky.

Now some of these you probably already know so excuse me repeating myself :)

Did you get the free 2005 album from Ochre? The one with "Vegas" and "Petl" etc on there?

Couple of great compilation albums by Merck Records that you should check out. One is called "Squadron" and the other is known as "n5md".

Gimmick - One of those groups that i dont know much about but i am always searching any material by them. If you have heard any radio / dj sets then you will have heard a track or two by them. Always on the playlist. Get the following "Rythmus Der Stadt", "Load Error" (bit diff for them) and "Slow Motion Process".

SoloTempo - Can seem a bit random to begin with and you can hear a lot of Autechre in them! "ocd ten" is great. It grows on you in time as well....well it did with me.

Higher Intelligence Agency - I'm sure you know about HIA but i have to make sure by writing them down. "Colourform" and "Freefloater". Say no more. classics!

There is a mixed match of music in 3 of my sets (2 for radio / 1 for brum creative night). All rough as... but there is a lot of random but very much recommended music. Chillout1,Chillout2 and Bubble Club set

Let me know your thoughts... :)
bliss

Post by bliss »

Have you heard Ochre's remix of "A Day for War"?

http://www.last.fm/music/multi-panel/_/ ... 28Ochre%29

http://www.last.fm/music/Fennesz - His ambient/IDM album "Venice" is quite good. The first track Rivers of Sand is lush.

You probably know this one:

http://www.last.fm/music/Manual

http://www.last.fm/music/Mercurial - is well worth a listen. His "Structure and Chaos EP" is one of my fav's.

http://www.last.fm/music/Phasic/_/Indigo - Sweet track.
Last.fm - Planet Bliss on last.fm

Planet Bliss - SoundCloud - Chilled Electronic Music
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Loopz wrote:Sorry about delay Ricky.

Now some of these you probably already know so excuse me repeating myself :)

Did you get the free 2005 album from Ochre? The one with "Vegas" and "Petl" etc on there?

Couple of great compilation albums by Merck Records that you should check out. One is called "Squadron" and the other is known as "n5md".

Gimmick - One of those groups that i dont know much about but i am always searching any material by them. If you have heard any radio / dj sets then you will have heard a track or two by them. Always on the playlist. Get the following "Rythmus Der Stadt", "Load Error" (bit diff for them) and "Slow Motion Process".

SoloTempo - Can seem a bit random to begin with and you can hear a lot of Autechre in them! "ocd ten" is great. It grows on you in time as well....well it did with me.

Higher Intelligence Agency - I'm sure you know about HIA but i have to make sure by writing them down. "Colourform" and "Freefloater". Say no more. classics!

There is a mixed match of music in 3 of my sets (2 for radio / 1 for brum creative night). All rough as... but there is a lot of random but very much recommended music. Chillout1,Chillout2 and Bubble Club set

Let me know your thoughts... :)
Mr Loopz,
Thanks a mil for coming back on this. I'm just back from my holidays, hense my delay.
The only Ochre i know is from Lemodie and mid summer nice dream. I know he has alot of miscelanaous tracks on his website for download. I've got a few of them, i must check out some of the others. In particular the free one. Is the free album, the one with the dodgy version of Moonlight Sonata by any chance???

With Gimmik, i have Back to Basics, which i like. I'll go looking for Load error and Rythmus Der Stadt so.
Actually one of the tracks off Back To Basics is the nicest part of a mix i've been working on.
Memo to self: Must blow dust of mixer and finish set.

And HIA. I picked up freefloater a few years ago. Fantastic, fantastic. I'm sure i got a heads up on it from your self actually. I think Colorform may be tricky to get hold of, but if its as good as freefloater, i'll go hunting.

I'm now interested in picking up the Merck comps you mentioned. I'll give em a go and let you know what i think.

I've actually checked out alot of the sets on the brum creative site which are very cool. Do you have track listings for the mix's you gave links to?????

thanks again
ricky