New to Macs

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

Itunes does suck a little yes.
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Thank you very much Dave. Both Steermouse & Litte Snitch have proven quite useful.

Btw- My trainer at the Apple store says that the cursor problem is in the webpage coding when viewed with Safari & not in Safari itself. It makes sense but I'm not sure I completely believe him. Not that it really matters because I'm using Firefox now.
OUT
OF
STEP
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Whilst on the subject of Apple (only slightly off-topic), I have just treated myself to a new 160GB iPod! 8) (My 60GB one is full-up)! :P
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Well if we're going off topic.... What's the deal with making the itouch (touch screen ipod) only 16gigs? What a dumb ass idea. That's not nearly enough room for many users music, then you add in additional downloads from the wi-fi & other new features.

I hope it was an actual limitation of some sort & not just a choice made by some apple bug wig.

& congrats on the 160 nick. I'll be needing one before the end of the year I think.
OUT
OF
STEP
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

the PLA wrote:Well if we're going off topic.... What's the deal with making the itouch (touch screen ipod) only 16gigs? What a dumb ass idea. That's not nearly enough room for many users music, then you add in additional downloads from the wi-fi & other new features.

I hope it was an actual limitation of some sort & not just a choice made by some apple bug wig.

& congrats on the 160 nick. I'll be needing one before the end of the year I think.
Totally agree with the 16GB Touch Screen - wtf?? I was actually tempted, and thought wa-hey, a 160GB Touch Screen.... Then I noticed the 16GB memory limitation... :oops:

So, went for the bog-standard 160GB iPod - it'll save me having to attempt to delete stuff off the current version... Might even have enough room for Steve White's DJ set! :P
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

it's because they use flash memory, like the iphone - as opposed to a hard drive, like the 'classic' ipod. so yeah it's a technical limitation - flash memory is getting bigger (capacity) and cheaper tho (like the original nanos were 1 or 2 gig or something?), so give it time.

personally i'm not interested in getting a hard disk-based mp3 player, i've had enough hard disks die on me when they were sitting perfectly still at home, let alone jiggling around in my pocket - so for now i'm making do with the crappy built-in mp3 player in my knackered old nokia, until flash memory gets big & cheap enough :)
dance your cares away, worries for another day
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

I hadn't checked to see if it was HD or flash based. Now I know.

Any HD will last longer than the ipod/iphone's battery. :D
OUT
OF
STEP
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

not any hard drive. my macbook's hard drive died about 2 months after the macbook's 12 month warranty expired. i've had two other hard drives die on me in the past but they were both just over 3 years old (coincidentally the warranty was 3 years). yeah i'm unlucky.... so i'm not gonna push my luck by getting a hard disk mp3 player :)
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

maybe this one won't die on you...
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

sweet :idea:
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Apple did their own version of that. It's called the ivinyl.

You can see the add here.
http://stage6.divx.com/G4TV/video/16133 ... dy:-iVinyl
OUT
OF
STEP