Glastonbury - The Highlights???

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

chime
Saint
Question: Orbital

Glastonbury - The Highlights???

Post by chime »

I watched the majority of this on tv, and have to say that the Arctic Monkeys stole it for me - just awesome!, other highlights for me included Shirley Bassey (Light my fire was Brilliant!), Chemical Brothers and Corinne Bailey Rae.
Uberzones set from the Friday night party which were broadcast on Annie Nightingales show sounded bloody brilliant, link here if anyone missed it: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1_a ... ightingale

Really looking forward to hearing what the proper festival goers thought about it, once they have been de-caked of mud and hung out to dry :P

Chime
:-)
Willsy
The Moebius

Post by Willsy »

Watched a lot of it on tv too.

I thought Calvin Harris was excellent...i had no idea it was more than one bloke and a live band, "Acceptable in the 80's" sounded awesome!

Chemicals played a pretty good set from what i saw.

The Killers sounded great as did the Arctics.

Was also impressed with Kasabian and Amy Winehouse.

All in all i wish i'd gone...
"You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really"
Nigel Tufnel talking about his song "Lick My Love Pump" - This Is Spinal Tap.

http://www.myspace.com/willsydesignuk
hippy dave
Meltdown

Re: Glastonbury - The Highlights???

Post by hippy dave »

chime wrote:other highlights for me included Shirley Bassey
you know she's covered that "i'm coming up so you'd better get this party started" song?...... i can't help wondering if she's aware that she's singing about illegal drug use :?:
dance your cares away, worries for another day
chime
Saint

Re: Glastonbury - The Highlights???

Post by chime »

hippy dave wrote:
chime wrote:other highlights for me included Shirley Bassey
you know she's covered that "i'm coming up so you'd better get this party started" song?...... i can't help wondering if she's aware that she's singing about illegal drug use :?:
Dave

And she was dressed in "Pink" - lol

Chime
:-)
Badger
Doctor Look Out
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Badger »

Did anyone get a good high quality recording of the Chemical Brothers set from the telly? Have only seen very small pixalated video and the set sounded like it was quite good.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
tezleyflahflah
Saint

Post by tezleyflahflah »

Saw about 25 minutes of their set and it looked and sounded great. Really looking forwards to seeing them in Trafalgar Square in September.
:D
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

Best bits were dancing to crusty techno with live ragtime piano over the top in some random tent in a foot of sloppy mud and pouring rain at 10am with a load of nutjobs out of their brains on acid. And other similar nonsense. You can't beat Glastonbury for shit like that. :applause
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."
Kagey
Geography group B
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Kagey »

i quite enjoyed titting around in the silent disco's
http://www.clockworkdisco.com

"Let's face it, "digital sound" is a misnomer...

Unless you plug the wires directly into your skull, at the end of the chain is a set of speakers pumping back-and-forth turning ANY signal into analogue waves..."
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

Badger wrote:Did anyone get a good high quality recording of the Chemical Brothers set from the telly? Have only seen very small pixalated video and the set sounded like it was quite good.
i've downloaded a high-quality (1.71gb) avi of the whole bbc3 show featuring the kaiser chiefs, the chems, and corrine bailey rae (i'll have to trim it at some point 'cos i only got it for the chems ;) ) from thebox.bz - which is a great site for uk tv torrents, along the same lines as uknova but without restrictions on content (except that it has to be uk tv, or generally-accepted-as-uk-tv - ie neighbours).

this show didn't include star guitar which was included when the set was repeated later on the red button thing, so i might look for that version at some point.

it did indeed look rather good, it was just a shame that the beeb only showed a little over half an hour of it. apparently the chems didn't want them to show the whole set :(
my housemates were there, and said that the set had a bit of a weak finish, it sounds like they got cut off earlier than they were planning to - they didn't play the private psychedelic reel, which as far as i know they've finished every live set with since before their 2nd album came out - and they just kinda faded out into squiggly noises after whatever the last track they did play was :?
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

oh there's also a 43meg mp3 or a 53mb wmv of the chemical brothers doing the rounds on the torrent sites (eg isohunt) if you search for "glastonbury 2007".
stylustrouble
Adnan

Post by stylustrouble »

Funky Dung wrote:Best bits were dancing to crusty techno with live ragtime piano over the top in some random tent in a foot of sloppy mud and pouring rain at 10am with a load of nutjobs out of their brains on acid. And other similar nonsense. You can't beat Glastonbury for shit like that. :applause
Was that Chas & Rave playing?
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

Sounds very cheesy and predictable but I actually thought Longrange were brilliant...
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

bjork captured anywhere? She made me evening i can tell ya ;)
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

i got a divx of bjork from themixingbowl.... now i'm getting a higher quality version from purelivegigs.... possibly slightly unnecessary but what the hell :)
Dollydagger
Open Mind

Post by Dollydagger »

Loopz wrote:bjork captured anywhere? She made me evening i can tell ya ;)
I saw her on the BBC2 highlights!
Enthrallingly bizarre as usual :D
I don't use Myspace anymore, you'll find me on Facebook ;-b