Fao: Trompurple and those in the know

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

RickySteamBoat
Saint
Question: Orbital

Fao: Trompurple and those in the know

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Right, the main reason I'm addressing Trom with this is because he seems to be the main guy to ask. However I know that loads of you (loopz, kazeo etc.....)are also well qualified to answer.
So my issue is...........
I am currently upgrading my cd collection (after a year and a half travelling, my cd collection has seriously lost its edge). What i want is some serious recomendations from the likes of the following labels....SKAM, DEFOCUS,Toytronic etc....

Just to let you know the style of stuff i'm after...
From those labels in particular, i've been loving...
SKAM :- Skampler, 0161, Bola, BOC (and thats it).
DEFOCUS :- Esem, Lackluster (and thats it).
Toytronic :- Everything is green sampler (and that it).
BUT I WANT MORE and would love it if anyone could point me in the direction of other great similar (but different) stuff.

please note: I dont want to bog you down with just these labels. Any recommmendation from what ever label is good (but you dont need to exclude those 3).
also,
i'd like to stay away from stuff that is overly, clicky and cutty if i can. For example I have albums by the likes of Phonem and Kid 606 that i barely listen to anymore (just because of that reason).

SO ANY HELP WITH THIS FROM ANYONE WOULD BE BRILLIANT!!!
trompurple
HOAX
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by trompurple »

Ricky!! The honour!! The honour you bestow upon me by putting an FAO in the title about me!!

Will have a rummage and get beck to you here soon :D
Mashed Potatoes? Why do hate mashed potatoes? (It's a hoax, I don't really hate them)
kazeo
Novice

Post by kazeo »

i'd recommend the new Boom Bip album, Blue Eyed In The Red Room, for starters. it's mostly rather relaxed and lavisly produced chill-out music, with more than an arbitary nod to the likes of aphex and, shock, SFA. still, for some reason, i actually prefer his first album, because it seems more 'hip-hoppy' (albeit in a very loose sense of course) which is something that i like.

errrrr, otherwise, i'm quite chronically out of the loop of new music in the genre you specify at the mo', so i'm looking forward to seeing what trom rustles up myself.

edit: oooh, oooh, ooooh, and other excited monkey sounds. errrrr, i just remembered that you could do worse than checking out an artist called Cex. his first album, Ooops, I Did It Again, features rather nice Skamish beats interlaced with melancholoy guitars, even if it is a bit cold mostly. it also has what i felt to be the one of the most disturbing inlays i've seen and the best song title in the world ever (Florida Is Shaped Like A Big Droopy Dick For A Reason). he has done more stuff since that though, but i haven't heard any (although i did hear he had entered hip-hop territory himself. bling.) so i can't comment.
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

Quinoline Yellow's new album Dol Goy Assist (on skam) is particularly excellent. Clicky and Cutty but with more emphasis on melody...

I'm loving most stuff by Digitonal on Seed Records esp 23 Things Fall Apart...

Spezial Material is one of the most exciting labels around at the moment... Check out Solotempo, Person, Intricate, and HP Stonji although the latter two are quite clicky...

lots of mp3s on spezialmaterial.ch

The new Analord series by AFX is pretty good in places, Analord 2 and 3 being the strongest so far IMHO...

Electrowise... Claro Intellecto's album was pretty wicked: Neurofibro

Eedl is lovely and chilled along the lines of Lackluster...

On the harder side... Modeselektor (bpitch control) and Milanese (Warp) are well worth checking out...

Mr76ix released a wicked debut on skam last year which is about to be followed up very soon...

Ai Records continue to produce consistently beautiful records... Normal / Montag (v nice) / Yellotone / Jacen Solo...

Troubleshooter's Disaster Recovery on Modern Love was one of my favourite releases of last year - wicked, hard, melodic electro...

nice to be asked :)
Mashed Potatoes? Why do hate mashed potatoes? (It's a hoax, I don't really hate them)
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

Thanks for the tips guys, its very appreciated.
Kazeo: mmmmm, Boombip. F*ckin class. I have Blue eyed in the Red Room and absolutly adore it. Fantastic melodies, cool beats brillilant album.
Seed To Sun is cool too.
Actually...BoomBip are playing at the Warp weekender here in Dublin (with a full band) this Friday. Really looking forward to it.

Must check out Cex soon, done a bit of research on the web and it looks pretty cool.

Trom: Thats a wealth of information there dude. Cheers. I'm in the process of ordering Digitonal's 23 Things album (a guy in a recordshop told me its brilliant).
will check out eedl and Quinoline Yellow too.

Thanks for that!!!
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

everyone should hear Quinoline Yellow's latest once...

how could I forget!!! One of my absolute favourite eps of last year:

Cane: Colony ep (part2)

You must check this!!
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

trompurple wrote:I'm loving most stuff by Digitonal on Seed Records esp 23 Things Fall Apart...
got that and the centre cannot hold ep, anything else i should be looking for? ta.
dance your cares away, worries for another day
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

thats all Ive heard but discogs list some more of his stuff...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Digitonal
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

cool stuff Trom,
Will definitly check out Cane.

Digitonals "23 things.." album is a bit of a bitch to find in shops in Dublin. However, i've successfully tracked down a copy on Gemm.

btw:- Keep the suggestions coming, because it willl all be noted and checked out.
SSSSS

Post by SSSSS »

I'm loving most stuff by Digitonal on Seed Records esp 23 Things Fall Apart...
Could not agree more. Absolutely fantastic album.

They are re soundtracking the shining live at the vibe bar on brick lane in the next couple of months. I for one will most defo be in attendance!!!!

He posts on the big chill board and recently put this up which is well worth a listen! Free ep that includes a digitonal remix....

http://www.sutemos.net/en/player;gid,10

Enjoy.
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Ricky. did you try City Discs in Temple Bar. If I'm looking for anything specific they set me up pretty well. I've even started to get discounts in there :D
I know I saw some Boombip in there about 4 months ago. Sorry I didn't buy now.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
RickySteamBoat
Saint

Post by RickySteamBoat »

legspin: Yeah I tried City disks a few weeks ago(great shop actually). The dude with the long hair and sideburns had a look for me but didn't have it. It was actually him that sugested buying it off the web.
also, the new BoomBip album is Seriously good, well worth checking out (if you do, check out the version that includes the extra 3" cd, its very good too).

ricky
little twin star
Sinner

Post by little twin star »

trom - isnt cane funckarma? and dutch? :D
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

Yes I believe Can is one of the (Funcken) Funckarma brothers - so is that a typical Dutch name :D
Shrineboy
Saint

Post by Shrineboy »

A couple of goodies for you -

Dollboy - Plans for a Modern City (Different Drummer). An easy listening highlight from last year. Downloads for you to have a listen to here http://www.dollboy.co.uk/downloads.htm - the live set from XFM is highly recommended :)

State River Widening - Cottonhead. Not sure if this will be your cup of tea or not. Have a listen here
http://www.ifmusic.co.uk/catalog/produc ... ts_id=2233