All time favourite TV-series?

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Kvagga
Omen
Question: Orbital

All time favourite TV-series?

Post by Kvagga »

What are your all time favourite TV-series? Not just ones that are good, but the ones that truly stood out and affected you.

I've been thinking about this for a while and also had a long fun chat with a friend discussing it, so I thought I'd bring the topic to the forum too.

After some hard pondering, I came up with these ultimate favourites:

- All time greatest for me has to be Buffy the vampire slayer. Probably sounds rediculous to most of you and I myself initially put it of as a piece of teenage masscrud, but as the series went on and I catched a few more episodes from the later seasons, I soon found myself hooked and realized it was genious. This show has the best plot twists ever (the show's premise allows the creators imagination to run pretty wild), the characters are very well developed and the occasional humor is dark, witty and fun. It doesn't hurt that Sarah Michelle is pretty hot too. ;) The darker spinoff, Angel, definately deserves a mention too.

- The best animeseries that I've watched is without a doubt Azumanga Daioh. Before seeing the show I couldn't have imagined that I'd praise an anime about the everyday life of japanese schoolgirls (without the usual blood, sex or giant robots), but now I've seen the light. :) There's really no plot, but the baffling randomness, the everyday comedy and especially the lovely, incredibly easy-to-relate-to charcarters make it one of the greatest things ever. The most fun in my experience is watching this series tired very late at night / early in the morning with a group of openminded friends.

- The true eye-opener, when it comes to comedy was definately Southpark. A cartoon that made me realize how twisted my sense of humor actually was. :twisted: I gotta say, though, that when it comes to comedy, the Americans are usually only good at cartoons. I can't stand American sitcoms and think that the live-action funny stuff should be left for the Brits alone, since they're the best at it.

- The only space sci-fi I ever bothered to follow and truly enjoyed, was LEXX. The idea of basing a show on the premise of an ugly, horny guy who can't get laid, destined to travel in space (on a spaceship that eats planets) with a hot chick that's not interested in him in the slightest plus a lovesick robothead, is so insanely absurd that it's brilliant. And they pull it off too. Shame that I never saw how it ended, but I think the WWW can help me with that.

- Even though I don't really follow soap operas, being a guy and all, I admit having really been into Melrose Place when I was younger. The plot twists are great and plentiful.

- Reality shows aren't really my cuppa, but I gotta give respect to both Survivor and the Amazing race, which for me are the only two shows that justify the existence of the otherwise crappy format. Still I'm not quite sure if I should add even these two to the list, but as I'm doing this mainly in genres, these are definately the pick of the litter in their's.

There are a lot of other very good series, but I really tried to only put the very best ones IMO here. Also some series, like Lost for example, I haven't seen far enough to decide whether they belong here. I'm also watching X-files (they're showing reruns) for the first time now, which seems like a strong future candidate.

(Note, I'm leaving a lot of stuff, mostly cartoons, that I watched as a kid out, since I don't remember them well enough plus we already had a childhood cartoons talk a while ago on the old board.)
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

Good candidates overall, especially AZUMANGA DAIOH and SOUTH PARK. THE SIMPSONS should be on the list, but until they stop making more episodes it's officially not yet part of TV history!

Of anime series, PUNI PUNI POEMI and EXCEL SAGA are still beyond hysterical. Their "quality" as a series might be questioned in retrospect; but give me Pedro or give me death!

I never got into Buffy, but I can see why it's appealing in many ways. The casting I thought was perfect.

Of TV classics, I have to say THE X-FILES. I still hold a near-perfect collection of the whole series on a bunch of VHS's. I have a whole box of them, stocked away. Why is my collection only near-perfect? I was too young to watch it from the very beginning, so I've got to see the early episodes only after the fact. It's still golden. Until the last two or three seasons, that is. Towards Season 9 filler-material grew proportionally to the worthwhile stuff. And Chris Carter wound up the series in a sad whimper, instead of a real intense thriller... I'll never forgive him for that. MILLENNIUM was fun too, despite the amount of inconsequential episodes.

Other than that, I have to go back even further, to THE PRISONER. Of course I was born only after the series had been shown, but the magic of cable TV (and BitTorrent) has enabled me to revisit one of the greatest series of all time. Better than Bond, cleverer than Godard, funnier than The Monkees.

Of comedy series, Monty Python's FLYING CIRCUS is still unbeatable. From the sheer surrealism of the editing to the machine gun fire verbal dexterity it was pure gold. And it gave us everything from the parrot sketch to the ministry of funny walks.

Of sitcoms, American or British, only a few are more than snack food. THE OFFICE, especially its first season, broke the mold in numerous ways. THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN, although disgusting, was raw and theatrical. Of Americans, only ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT has truly inspired me.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. That can't be helped. I'm sure I'll get more in my head tomorrow.
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake
Mucus
Saint

Post by Mucus »

1) M*A*S*H
2) Red Dwarf
3) Jeeves & Wooster
4) Fawlty Towers
5) Judge John Deed
6) Absolute Power
7) The Young Ones
8) Black Adder
9) The Office
10) South Park
Let's face it, if I didn't exist - you'd pay someone to have me invented.
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

more votes for red dwarf, south park, blackadder. you've made me think about how much i used to enjoy the x files actually, altho i did stop watching when it started to slide - but maybe i'll watch it again from the beginning sometime.
the young ones is a good thought - actually when i was a kid i really loved bottom - especially the live videos with extra-o.t.t. slapstick violence and general messiness.
the simpsons is pretty permanently integrated into my life now, i still watch it most days on channel 4, even tho i've seen most of the episodes countless times. i know there are plenty of newer ones i haven't seen yet tho, but i also know a lot of people reckon they've been getting worse.
could think of more, but instead i'm gonna go to bed. :D
dance your cares away, worries for another day
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by memly »

Trailer Park Boys
Lost
Alan Partridge
Fawlty Towers
Quantum Leap
Peep Show
The Office
Simpsons
Family Guy
King of the Hill
Red Dwarf (big fan too)
My Name is Earl
The Muppet Show
The Twilight Zone
Thundercats

....snarf.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

Oh, let's see... I'm going to include current as well as canceled shows.

Firefly - Joss Whedon's (of Buffy fame) space western. Only 13 episodes (and one movie), but it touched me more than any other series has ever done. It has great characters, great dialogue, great humour and great action.

Battlestar Galactica (the new show, not the old and cheesy one) - the first two seasons of this show have been astounding. Instead of being a cheesy space opera show, it's a gritty, dirty series that focuses less on action and more on politics and characters (although the action is amazing too). If you have even the slightest interest in sci-fi, you should be watching this show.

Lost - My second favorite show currently running. At times it appeared they were making it up as they went along, but the series gained renewed focus towards the end of season 2.

Twin Peaks - I didn't watch it until just a few years ago, and I was smitten. It does drag on a bit, but I really wish there would have been made more episodes than just the two seasons. Dale Cooper is one of my favorite tv characters of all time.

Veronica Mars - Don't laugh. :P This is a great show, one I watch with my sister (then again, we also watch Lost and Battlestar Galactica together...). Kvagga, if you're a fan of Buffy you should seriously check this out.

24 - Although they haven't been able to top the first season, it's still a great show (although this show too tends to drag on a bit). The ending of the latest season was great, Jack's fate especially made sense.

Monty Python's Flying Circus - Classic.

Angel - I was never a Buffy fan, but got really hooked on this show. The first two seasons are pretty lame, but the last three are excellent.

The Simpsons
Family Guy
South Park
All great, although The Simpsons should probably consider calling it quits soon.

Any show centered around Norwegian comedians Bård Tufte Johansen and Harald Eia (Lille Lørdag, Åpen Post, Uti Vår Hage, Team Antonsen, Tre Brødre (som ikke er brødre)).

I loved the X-Files for a time, but then it got so.. convoluted and complicated. It got to the point that if you missed one episode, you were completely lost. So I stopped watching.
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

I agree with a lot of shows and i'd like to ad Spaced to the list please.

:D
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
Willsy
The Moebius

Post by Willsy »

Lets see...

A -Team
Knight Rider
Dukes of Hazzard
Trailer Park Boys
Lost
Spaced
Peep Show
Simpsons
League of Gentlemen
Phoenix Nights

to name but a few...
"You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really"
Nigel Tufnel talking about his song "Lick My Love Pump" - This Is Spinal Tap.

http://www.myspace.com/willsydesignuk
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

Many of the above and also:

Hill Street Blues
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
The Young Ones
Comic Strip Presents
Saturday Night Live (UK version)
The Tube
Whistle Test
TISWAS
Banana Splits
Those OU lectures with blokes with long hair and beards
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Kvagga
Omen

Post by Kvagga »

Good to see so many answers, keep 'em coming people. :)

Kansler - I haven't seen either of the animes you mentioned yet, only heard of them, but will probably check into them soon now that you've praised them. :)

Hex - I've heard that even Joss Whedon thinks that Veronica Mars is the best TV-series ever, so maybe I should really give it a chance. I watched it once, though, and actually fell asleep during it, but that was more due to me having had a hard and long work day just before. :P I'm unable to decide whether I wanna watch Firefly or not, since I know that I'll love it, but will also hate the fact that it ends just as I've gotten into it... Oh and I've only seen those last 3 seasons of Angel and indeed, they're awesome.

To further prove my point of English live-action comedy being supreme, just look at the ones mentioned already in this thread: Monty Python (ok there's cartoon parts too), The League Of Gentlemen, Black Adder, Bottom, etc... I've only seen bits of The Office and Fawlty Towers, but thought they were great too. Off the top of my head I can also mention at least Coupling (esp. the first season) and A Bit of Fry And Laurie and heck, even the old Mr. Bean episodes can make me laugh. USAwise I can't name even one good one (altough I admit not having watched Arrested Development), but I could probably name tens of unfunny ones.

Oh and as we talked about the early cancellation of Firefly, has anyone else noticed that they seem to be cancelling pretty much all the other new series too without giving them a chance to develope at all? Especially the Fox-channel seems to be guilty of this (Point Pleasant, Freaky Links, Tru Calling, Birds of Prey, Family Guy before they brought it back, etc...) I admit that many of the shows don't even have any potential (like the aforementioned Birds of Prey) and were mistakes in the first place, but it's starting to feel like there's no idea to start watching anything not instantly popular, since it'll just end abruptly after one or one and a half seasons. :x

Damn, I seem to rant a bit in this thread. :)
Mucus
Saint

Post by Mucus »

davemacfrombath wrote:Many of the above and also:

Hill Street Blues
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
The Young Ones
Comic Strip Presents
Saturday Night Live (UK version)
The Tube
Whistle Test
TISWAS
Banana Splits
Those OU lectures with blokes with long hair and beards

Every one of those has brought back great memories, thanks. :D :D :D
Let's face it, if I didn't exist - you'd pay someone to have me invented.
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

davemacfrombath wrote:The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
:D
watched these with my dad when i was a kid, liked them but i'm sure i missed loads. watched them all again a year or two ago, loved 'em 8)
dance your cares away, worries for another day
Karnorjax
Oolaa

Post by Karnorjax »

Red dwarf... but jus the early stuff when there was no budget and well written scripts !

24 - just sheer genius

X-files - damn good all the way thru..

League of gentlemen - warped and funny

Spaced - ohh please gimme some more.

Young Indiana Jones - Wish they would release it all on DVD in one go !

Battlestar Galactica - new series.. damn good well written sci fi

Babylon 5 - amazing storytelling

Lost - mind blowing style and always leaving you wanting every so muh more but teasing you all the way

Dr Who - I started around the Peter Davidson era.. and loved it ever since

an probably loads more
Is there anyone there ??????? IS THERE ANYONE THERE !!!!!
chemical_si
Novice

Post by chemical_si »

porridge
league of gentleman
lost
(although haven't actually watched a great deal)
blue planet
planet earth
life of trees
spring watch with bill oddie
doctor who
(when i was around 8 cause it used to scare me, or at least the music did- that's why i continued to watch it)
only fools and horses(like porridge, it still continues to make me laugh as much now as when i first watched it)
that's probally it for the mean time.
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

Brass Eye
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."