New Boards Of Canada Video

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

stimpee
Saint
Question: Orbital

New Boards Of Canada Video

Post by stimpee »

rach
Novice

Post by rach »

gorgeous stuff :D

Warp also have a very short snippet of a new track from the forthcoming ep... sounds nice.
is this a piece of your brain?
Vadertech
Novice
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Vadertech »

I must say if i wasn't already a superfan of BoC when Campfire Headphase was released, i will be one when the new single is released. This video is all i could ever hope a BoC video to be. Sheer visual beauty combined with one of their most amazing songs ever. Can only hope for continued quality releases from sandison and eoin.

p.s. the warprecords main page plays the full skyliner track from the new EP Trans Canada Highway.
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

Yep, good stuff.

Off topic: I've been compiling a "best of" Boards of Canada CD in the last few days. If you care to know, here's my take:

01-Music Is Math
02-Devil
03-Wildlife Analysis
04-Aquarius
05-Dave (i'm a real traditionalist)
06-cLOUDDEAD - Dead Dogs Two (BoC remix)
07-The Smallest Weird Number
08-'84 Pontiac Dream
09-Iced Cooly
10-Dayvan Cowboy
11-Beck - Broken Drum (BoC remix)
12-Roygbiv
13-Chromakey Dreamcoat
14-1969
15-In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country
16-Telephasic Workshop
17-Alpha And Omega
18-Energy Warning
20-Everything you do is a balloon
21-One Very Important Thought

I clocks at '79''19.
I felt sorry for not having any room for Happy Cyclin' or Hi Scores! For those of you who haven't yet heard the CLOUDDEAD remix, I can recommend it heartily.
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

no June 9th :shock:

but good call on the beautiful Beck remix...
Mashed Potatoes? Why do hate mashed potatoes? (It's a hoax, I don't really hate them)
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

June 9th's one of the things I didn't have room for... But I'm more curious: which song would you substitute it for? Remember, no free rides: if you want to put one in, take one out! ;)

(Of course, it'll be HERESY to me, since my collection is perfect as far as I'm concerned, but it never hurts to hear others out.)
Clipitar

Post by Clipitar »

Well I've done this a few weeks ago and I came up with...

1- Music Is Math
2- Telephasic Workshop
3- Amo Bishop Roden
4- Dayvan Cowboy
5- Alpha and Omega
6- 1969
7- Oscar See Through Red Eye
8- Aquarius
9- The Beach At Redpoint
10- Peacock Tail
11- An Eagle In Your Mind
12- Sunshine Recorder
13- Roygbiv
14- Kid For Today

(1:16:51)

I don't care that much for the 1 minute or so interludes. They work well on the CDs, but as far as a "greatest hits" goes, I prefer by far their longer pieces.

I have to admit I never heard Twoism... Am I missing much? There also is a copy of the Hi-Score EP that's been sitting for ages in the shelves of a CD store near my place. Is it worth buying? Those are the only two CDs I haven't heard from BOC.
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

Kansler wrote:if you want to put one in, take one out! ;)
mmmm haven't been to one of those parties in far too long... :tut
dance your cares away, worries for another day
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

clipitar: are you missing much? YES you are! Both Twoism and Hi-Scores contain some of the best BoC tracks. Sure there's a few tracks they recycled into MHTRTC, but even those tracks sound intriguingly different.

Another thing is whether it's worth paying full price for an EP. So, I recommend you definitely buy them if you can get'em cheap.

I like your selection too, very cordial.

hippy dave:
mmmm haven't been to one of those parties in far too long...
:shock:
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

:idea: Never really liked the Clouddead track so i'd take that out, but perhaps it gives balance to your selection...

:idea: I think june 9th is maybe my favourite BoC track in some ways - IMO best on Hi Scores - so i'd also put it in ahead of Everything you do is a balloon.

:idea: Can't really argue with the rest of it though. I love 5-9-78 from A few old tunes. Another all time fave is Chinook.

:D
Mashed Potatoes? Why do hate mashed potatoes? (It's a hoax, I don't really hate them)
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

thanks for the input. :)

I guess I haven't listened to Hi Scores enough...

I do think the clouddead remix is one of the best things they've done, but to each his own. Also, no best of is complete without Everything You Do... I agree Chinook rules!

Next I'll do my Plaid best of - but not before Greedy Baby comes out! 8)
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

Clipitar wrote:I have to admit I never heard Twoism... Am I missing much? There also is a copy of the Hi-Score EP that's been sitting for ages in the shelves of a CD store near my place. Is it worth buying?
Twoism is one of their best effort IMO, get Hi-Scores before anybody else does. That is probably their best release ever :)

About compiling. I put together a folder of all the remixes BOC have done over the years:

1997 - Michael Fakesch - Surfaise (The Trade Winds Mix By BOC)
1998 - Bubbah's Tum - Dirty Great Marble (BOC remix)
1998 - Mira Calix - Sandsings (BOC remix)
1998 - Meat Beat Manifesto - Prime Audio Soup (Vegetarian Soup by BOC)
2001 - Slag Boom Van Loon - Poppy Seed (BOC remix)
2001 - Slag Boom Van Loon - Poppy Seed (BOC reprise remix)
2003 - Boom Bip - Last walk around mirror lake (BOC remix)
2003 - Clouddead - Dead dogs two (BOC remix)
2005 - Beck - Broken drum (BOC remix)

(These are the remixes they have done according to discogs, anybody know of other mixes, (not counting Hell Interface or other aliases)?)

Getting the mixes altogther like this they provide excellent additional listening alongside BOCs regular material. The only bum mix IMO is the Clouddead one, but to their defense the original of that one is nothing much really (it's hard to make gold of crap). I hope Odd Nosdam will return a better mix of Dayvan Cowboy than that :wink:
Never compromise your art, keep it close to your heart
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

Seems like I'm the only one who thinks the cloudead remix is genius! I haven't actually heard a single clouddead track, which is interesting.
Numanoid
Saint

Post by Numanoid »

Kansler wrote:Seems like I'm the only one who thinks the cloudead remix is genius! I haven't actually heard a single clouddead track, which is interesting.
I'm not a big fan of rap or hip-hop, I guess that clouds my judgement :wink: I only picked up that album because of the BOC mix.

I don't like to diss music, but I find the vocal annoying in that track.
IMO the mix also lacks the trademark BOC feel (it could be anyones effort really).
Never compromise your art, keep it close to your heart
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Wow!! Visually stunning.
Everything about that was sheer class 8)
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK