What are your top ten album releases this year?

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

stargurl
Geography group B
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by stargurl »

I'm having a hard time coming up with a list.

I find myself listing things just because they happened to come out this year and I kind of liked them... but by no means do they deserve to be associated with a 'best of' list, just stuff I liked.

You're right Steve, it wasn't a great music year.
purlieu
Novice

Post by purlieu »

People who say it wasn't a great year: how many albums did you actually hear? I refuse to believe it's ever a bad year for music, just people haven't stumbled across the right records yet.
stargurl
Geography group B

Post by stargurl »

According to my last.fm profile, I've listened to 10151 songs on my computer or my ipod since January 4 of this year. I listen to a lot of music, it's just that nothing new has really caught my attention lately.
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

purlieu wrote:People who say it wasn't a great year: how many albums did you actually hear? I refuse to believe it's ever a bad year for music, just people haven't stumbled across the right records yet.
You can imagine i've listened to quite a few. There have been a few exceptions but the majority of the album releases just havent kept me interested.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

stargurl wrote:According to my last.fm profile, I've listened to 10151 songs on my computer or my ipod since January 4 of this year.
Shit Aimee thats around 35 days of pure listening.
I bet most of that was done on a plane....

Are you an insomniac?

Or have you been flying around the world the wrong way accruing a few hours here and there :shock:
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
purlieu
Novice

Post by purlieu »

Hmmm. Fair enough. There's just so many album's I've dug this year that nobody else has mentioned here, and every other board I'm on seems to come up with long lists of records I've not heard...
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

I think the problem i have is that Oasis, Coldplay etc just dont do anything for me. :)
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Loopz wrote:I think the problem i have is that Oasis, Coldplay etc just dont do anything for me. :)
Yup, and neither do Hard-Fi, Babyshambles, Kaiser Chiefs, or whatever band the NME champions nowadays! :lol:

Personally, I've been buying a lot of albums this year that were released within the last couple of years - e.g. Ulrich Schnauss, etc.

I'm sure that there are some others that have been released recently but, for instance, the new Chems album didn't really do it for me, nor did the new Royksopp album...

Next year, however, we'll hopefully have both a Long Range and a Paul Hartnoll album out - which might make it easier! :)
stargurl
Geography group B

Post by stargurl »

memly wrote:Shit Aimee thats around 35 days of pure listening.
I bet most of that was done on a plane....

Are you an insomniac?

Or have you been flying around the world the wrong way accruing a few hours here and there :shock:
If you divide it out, it's about 30 songs per day: a few before work, a few when I go for a walk at lunch, couple albums' worth after work... broken down, I don't think it's that much. In the same time period, I've probably spent 110 straight days sleeping :)
wooter

Post by wooter »

I felt the Royksopp album was ok, as much of the other music I follow and buy. Nothing comes near anymore to the music I listened when I got into music in the first place. So, compared to Insides, Snivlilisation, Brown Album, dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Thoughest or Dig Your Own Hole, nothing compares anymore...
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Ok... so you were asleep through most of the albums then wasnt you? :wink:

I know what its like, I can doze off at the best of ti.....................................................

Havent really thought of a top ten yet.
I'm not too keen on the indie/pop revival of the past year... good ridance to boy bands sure, but its replacement by Razorlight, Hardfi, Bloc Party, Babyshambles etc hasnt really grabbed me by the cojones.

The only guitar based band around at the minute that really does it for me is the White Stripes.

I'm still stuck in the mid nineties when it comes to listening to albums. I will endeavour to make a top 10 list, but as Nick said, most of the albums I have bought this year have not been released in this year.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

To be honest, we all like different things so when Steve or Aimee say that nothing grabbed them I think it's a fair comment...

I can't see Steve getting into the likes of Infusion etc. and yet I love that album so....
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Dog wrote:To be honest, we all like different things so when Steve or Aimee say that nothing grabbed them I think it's a fair comment...

I can't see Steve getting into the likes of Infusion etc. and yet I love that album so....
:) I saw Infusion with Mr Funky Dung at the Custard Factory. I actually enjoyed it but i fully agree with what you say. We all like different things.
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

Loopz wrote:
Dog wrote:To be honest, we all like different things so when Steve or Aimee say that nothing grabbed them I think it's a fair comment...

:) I saw Infusion with Mr Funky Dung at the Custard Factory. I actually enjoyed it but i fully agree with what you say. We all like different things.
Theres enjoying it in a live environment and theres buying the album... Different levels there.
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
purlieu
Novice

Post by purlieu »

Very different comment to 'poor year for music', though.