Belfast 9/10/15

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

legspin
Open Mind
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Belfast 9/10/15

Post by legspin »

Ah yes, it's that time again. Another long winded, overly verbose paean with numerous unnecessary asides about a gig I went to. Just what the world needs.

Anyway, that won't stop me. Haha.

'I'm going out that night', I said to my wife.
'To where, to do what and with whom?' came the reply.
'Belfast, a Paul Hartnoll gig and tba.'
'Again? Didn't you see him New Year's Eve?'
'No, that was the brother. I haven't seen Paul in this iteration yet'
'Hmmm... . Did you say Belfast?'
'Yes'
'You'll want the car then?'
'Aye'
'I think I might need it that night'
'That's ok, I'll go to Londinium the following night then'

Silence....

' Oh go on then....'

Fast forward a few months and here I am again, slightly dizzy from excitement about a gig by one of the Lads in another new location. The drive up had been convivial and loud. My gig companion on this occasion was going to his first Orbital-related gig. While he was a fan of this sort of music, he just wasn't as immersed in the whole Orbital thing like me so to a certain extent was going as a favour to me. I just hate going to gigs on my own. My original confederate had at least pulled out well before the gig so I had had plenty of time to organise an alternate.

I'm always excited about a gig in a new venue. I had asked a few work-mates from the City of Flegs what the venue was like and they immediately said I would love it. As it turned out the Empire Music Hall is all that. Cracking little spot holding about 300-350 folk, nice-ish area (not far from Queens) and a parking spot 20 yards from the venue. What more could you ask for?

Anyway....

There was maybe 90 people in the gig when we walked in just after 9.30. After a few minutes I saw a few familiar heads and pleasantries were exchanged. What was expected tonight? seemed to be the question of the evening. Had a quick glance at the stage and was sad to see no visuals and a much compacted stage set-up, but one must cut one's cloth and all that. The support (sorry forgotten his name) was doing a fair job of keeping what punters were there interested even if no-one was doing much more that nodding on the beat. It was definitely an older crowd there, the 2012 gig was a much broader spectrum, so the dancefloor reminded me of a school disco with everyone waiting for everyone else to make the first move. I think the lack of younger folk i.e. under thirty, is down to just the lack of name recognition Paul has as a solo artist yet, but it is slightly disappointing that he seems to be finding so little traction. Now, of course living under a rock like I do I'm always the last to spot a trend so it may be happening unbeknownst to me.

Paul came out bang on time and immediately got down to work. I had been wondering what he would open up with and 'Cemetery' hit a very nice groove right from the start. As it was a new one it was a little slow to get the crowd doing much but it really did break the ice well and by the end of it things were swinging nicely. Now for the first real highlight of the night for me. I've been going to Orbital gigs for almost 20 years and this was the first time I heard 'Forever' live. And it did not disappoint. A hard favourite of mine, I've been looking forward to hearing it right from the moment I saw the vid of Paul re-working it a while back. To be honest I wasn't expecting the rush I got when I first heard Professor Millar railing against the western world but by the time the intro was over I was done. The rest of the night is slightly shrouded in a fog of bliss and I can only vaguely recall the order of the rest of the tracks. I think 'The Clock' was next but don't quote me on that. Mind you, after Forever it could have been the Speeches of John Major and I don't think I would have cared. The feeling of utter joy was only added to the following track when 'TGWTSIHH.' comes sashaying across my consciousness. Again, another of the tunes that, for me anyway, define what Orbital were about. I can only speak for myself but there was a noticeable lift in the crowd (which had swelled to about 150-170 by this time) around this point as the shackles came off for everyone but now the memory really is hazy. After this came 'Please' (?) before a cracking version of Halcyon (I still hate Bon Jovi) and then moving on to the standout track of the new album for me in 'Nearly There'. I really do love this tune and it has joined the banned list in the car and for good reason. It absolutely slayed and I had a blast dancing to this one and was really feeing good when a new take (again) of Satan, closely followed Chime and then Crime hit in quick time. I also think that a version of 'Where is it going ?' was in there somewhere. As to the exact order, meh, it doesn't really matter. I do remember the final track though. Mind you, where the hell are we and what did you think he was going to play? Still the perfect track to end any session and put a tin hat on the emotions. And then he was gone. No encore but we had had an hour and a half of wonderfulness.

I should have stayed after for longer as seemingly Paul came out and chatted with a few of the punters, but I was anxious to be on the road. For all the hedonism and fun there is a price to be paid and that was to take kids to a rugby match the following morning at 10 am and I still had a two and half hour drive home....

I thoroughly enjoyed my night in Norn Iron. Great music in a fine venue, surrounded (sort of) by folk of a similar disposition getting our freak on. Met a load of very nice people and caught up with a few die-hards.
Thank you Paul and Belfast for a cracking night and keep peddling hard.

Oh, and Belfast women are fantastic....

E.& O.E.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
deschwah

Re: Belfast 9/10/15

Post by deschwah »

Great review
Hillsman

Post by Hillsman »

I thought he played Belfast towards the end.....maybe it was Chime Crime. I took a video so will check it when I get a chance!

Cheers :)
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Fairly positive he closed with Belfast, but please do check. My memories of the night were hazy enough when I wrote that review and the intervening 18 months have done nothing to improve them.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.