What did you think of the setlist (Spoilers)

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

Kansler
Sinner

Re: What did you think of the setlist (Spoilers)

Post by Kansler »

I loved the show in Manchester, what a gig! :)
Came all the way from Finland and had a great time...

Of the classics, the Carpenters drop in Are We Here? and the very welcome return of Sad But True - not to mention the absolutely banging versions of Impact and Chime/Crime - were the highlights of the night. Of the new tracks, Wonky, Beelzedub, Where is it Going? and Stringy Acid? (which I thought was just a version of Chime at the time :P) worked absolutely brilliantly... Where is it Going? is one of the best live tunes they have produced. EVER. Loved it.

However, I agree that some of the newer tracks do not have the "oomph" or the lasting dance-floor appeal of some of their classics. I suppose this is always the case with new material: only a few of the tracks end up being live favourites in the long run.

I'm specifically talking about Never and One Big Moment. I think they're too ephemeral and low-key to work in the set, they are difficult to dance to, although I like them both on the album, as chill-out tracks. Maybe the brothers simply haven't had time to work them out into proper live remixes... The same, although to lesser degree, is true with Straight Sun (possibly my favourite track on the album!): it works only so-so live, because they basically just played the album version, with all the quiet, meandering soft bits included. All of these three tracks, I feel, are much more amenable to home listening and quiet contemplation - although at least One Big Moment and Straight Sun have lots of dance potential, if only they can be extended and bass-ed up a little for further shows! Straight Sun, bless its soul, has a massive bass, but the melody speaks of bed-bound relaxation, not club euphoria.

Overall, I think they should just drop Never and One Big Moment. Unfortunately OBM is the opener of the new album, so I don't think they're going to let it go. (The beginning of the track is a nice way to open the set, but the beat drop is pretty weak in the song.) Straight Sun, too, is a brilliant track that should just be reworked and tweaked a little to make it more badass and manly. The rest works brilliantly live, I think! :)

Overall a great set that started sort of weak, with the couple of album-faithful, chill-out tunes (that could have been easily replaced with a couple of older classics), but it ended extremely strong with a mixture of old and new Orbital classics! This was only my second time seeing them live, after the reunion gig in Brighton a few years back, and I can't wait to see them for the third time in Bloc Weekend in London later this summer. :) I hope they do some tweaks to the newer tracks, or just drop a few of the more chill-out ones, to make the set even more euphoric. And bring out some MoN/In Sides/TA/BA material, please, to round off the set...

Overall, this might sound I'm being critical, but I had a banging time all around. :) Glad to see the boys back in business - and like kings, too!
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake
Lobe
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Lobe »

spot on kansler about trying to dance to One Big Moment, Straight Sun and Never however I can't dance anyway so I probably look like a nerd on most of the tracks. Actually I was on the front row of the Manchester gig in 2009 and ended up on Youtube trying to dance when somebody was videoing Impact from the front of the stage. Very embarrassing !
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

Kansler wrote:I loved the show in Manchester, what a gig! :)
Came all the way from Finland and had a great time...

Of the classics, the Carpenters drop in Are We Here? and the very welcome return of Sad But True - not to mention the absolutely banging versions of Impact and Chime/Crime - were the highlights of the night. Of the new tracks, Wonky, Beelzedub, Where is it Going? and Stringy Acid? (which I thought was just a version of Chime at the time :P) worked absolutely brilliantly... Where is it Going? is one of the best live tunes they have produced. EVER. Loved it.

However, I agree that some of the newer tracks do not have the "oomph" or the lasting dance-floor appeal of some of their classics. I suppose this is always the case with new material: only a few of the tracks end up being live favourites in the long run.

I'm specifically talking about Never and One Big Moment. I think they're too ephemeral and low-key to work in the set, they are difficult to dance to, although I like them both on the album, as chill-out tracks. Maybe the brothers simply haven't had time to work them out into proper live remixes... The same, although to lesser degree, is true with Straight Sun (possibly my favourite track on the album!): it works only so-so live, because they basically just played the album version, with all the quiet, meandering soft bits included. All of these three tracks, I feel, are much more amenable to home listening and quiet contemplation - although at least One Big Moment and Straight Sun have lots of dance potential, if only they can be extended and bass-ed up a little for further shows! Straight Sun, bless its soul, has a massive bass, but the melody speaks of bed-bound relaxation, not club euphoria.

Overall, I think they should just drop Never and One Big Moment. Unfortunately OBM is the opener of the new album, so I don't think they're going to let it go. (The beginning of the track is a nice way to open the set, but the beat drop is pretty weak in the song.) Straight Sun, too, is a brilliant track that should just be reworked and tweaked a little to make it more badass and manly. The rest works brilliantly live, I think! :)

Overall a great set that started sort of weak, with the couple of album-faithful, chill-out tunes (that could have been easily replaced with a couple of older classics), but it ended extremely strong with a mixture of old and new Orbital classics! This was only my second time seeing them live, after the reunion gig in Brighton a few years back, and I can't wait to see them for the third time in Bloc Weekend in London later this summer. :) I hope they do some tweaks to the newer tracks, or just drop a few of the more chill-out ones, to make the set even more euphoric. And bring out some MoN/In Sides/TA/BA material, please, to round off the set...

Overall, this might sound I'm being critical, but I had a banging time all around. :) Glad to see the boys back in business - and like kings, too!
I think 'One Big Moment' is a fantastic opener - and one in keeping with many Orbital set openers of old (Way Out, Out There Somewhere?, Forever). I wouldn't describe it (or 'Straight Sun') as 'low key' or chill-out material either - you must be listening to some pretty full-on stuff! The bass kicking in during OBM at the RAH nearly ruptured my bowels, though I do feel the boys still haven't quite got the levels right at the start - to much voice and not enough synth! I do think sometimes people approach Orbital purely from the perspective of driving acid material like Remind and Impact which is not all they are about. I was dancing like a goon straight from the off!

I do agree that 'Never' is missing something. It's too sparse, though this is inherent to how the song has been produced so it would require considerable re-mixage to change it. Straight Sun could probably do with it's intro snipping to get to the meat quicker I suppose!

Incidentally- much as I enjoyed it - I think the Manchester gig was a little disappointing. It was show one of the tour and felt like it. Not to mention that The Academy is a pretty dire venue. The Royal Albert Hall gig blew it away.

Here's a cool video. The bass distorts everything but I think that rather makes my point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzkj_GDwdoc
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

I'd love to spill my brains in this thread and i will when i get some quality time. Just wanted to say that "Wonky" at Manchester was the best for me and it never really did hit home as much in the Royal Albert Hall. Manchester's version was just mental. This is the track of the tour for me, alongside the now double extended "Where Is It Going?"

Some of the tracks are maybe in the wrong part of the set. "Never" needs to be more at the beginning or maybe should get dropped as there isnt too much added value to the live version. "One Big Moment" wasn't the hottest start to the set for me but it's grown more and more and i'm now starting to appreciate it kicking off the night. "Halcyon" has had it's better days, is great for the sample comedy moment for those who havent heard it but for me, it's done in that kind of version. It's a shame because i have a lot of love for this track, spawns lots of good memories and just makes me think of those who are no longer in the Orbital circle. It's just not working anymore and should be replaced by something else. "Impact" got better with the days and certainly needs to stay longer and longer. Think we have lost a bit of the orgasmic build to it but i'm sure it will creep back in with time.

Glad "New France" wasn't there. It's a nice track but not really trademark Orbital for me. "Diversions" i love, but it's a funny one to fit into a set like this. At the beginning would be the only valid place to stick it.

"Crime" should never have been dropped, so it was good to see that re-appear and it compliment it's relative "Chime".

As for "Satan", oops, i mean "Beezledub" ;) I thought that came across quite well in the live set but would have been nice to have a bit of that and then back to the original mental side of "Satan". Bass was great though...oh yes.

"Sad But True" was probably the track i welcomed back the most. i just love the studio version and the live version this time around is going some really nice places.

"Straight Sun" - drop. I still don't understand what the fuss is about this track. It's nice but nothing special. Orbital being safe and appealing to everyone. Great but not for a live set it isnt.

I still think there is a place for "Farenheit 303" and "Farenheit 3D3" in a live set. That would be superb if they brought back some of the more obscure Green stuff. I know it's probably going to be quite boring for them to play live but this is classic hypnotic Orbital.
thehitcher
Novice

Post by thehitcher »

Loopz wrote:I still think there is a place for "Farenheit 303" and "Farenheit 3D3" in a live set. That would be superb if they brought back some of the more obscure Green stuff. I know it's probably going to be quite boring for them to play live but this is classic hypnotic Orbital.
I would love to see some more Green stuff, Love to see Speed Freak
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

Loopz wrote:I'd love to spill my brains in this thread and i will when i get some quality time. Just wanted to say that "Wonky" at Manchester was the best for me and it never really did hit home as much in the Royal Albert Hall. Manchester's version was just mental. This is the track of the tour for me, alongside the now double extended "Where Is It Going?"

Some of the tracks are maybe in the wrong part of the set. "Never" needs to be more at the beginning or maybe should get dropped as there isnt too much added value to the live version. "One Big Moment" wasn't the hottest start to the set for me but it's grown more and more and i'm now starting to appreciate it kicking off the night. "Halcyon" has had it's better days, is great for the sample comedy moment for those who havent heard it but for me, it's done in that kind of version. It's a shame because i have a lot of love for this track, spawns lots of good memories and just makes me think of those who are no longer in the Orbital circle. It's just not working anymore and should be replaced by something else. "Impact" got better with the days and certainly needs to stay longer and longer. Think we have lost a bit of the orgasmic build to it but i'm sure it will creep back in with time.

Glad "New France" wasn't there. It's a nice track but not really trademark Orbital for me. "Diversions" i love, but it's a funny one to fit into a set like this. At the beginning would be the only valid place to stick it.

"Crime" should never have been dropped, so it was good to see that re-appear and it compliment it's relative "Chime".

As for "Satan", oops, i mean "Beezledub" ;) I thought that came across quite well in the live set but would have been nice to have a bit of that and then back to the original mental side of "Satan". Bass was great though...oh yes.

"Sad But True" was probably the track i welcomed back the most. i just love the studio version and the live version this time around is going some really nice places.

"Straight Sun" - drop. I still don't understand what the fuss is about this track. It's nice but nothing special. Orbital being safe and appealing to everyone. Great but not for a live set it isnt.

I still think there is a place for "Farenheit 303" and "Farenheit 3D3" in a live set. That would be superb if they brought back some of the more obscure Green stuff. I know it's probably going to be quite boring for them to play live but this is classic hypnotic Orbital.

You're absolutely right Steve - whilst the Albert hall was a much better all round gig for me they really dropped the ball on 'Wonky'. In Manchester it was bonkers. It really is the tune of the tour.

I'd be happy to see 'Straight Sun' dropped in favour of something left-field. Not sure what. Perhaps not left-field at all - 'Don't Stop Me' would be nice. And 'The Gun is Good'.

Like you I still feel some songs are just in odd spots in the set - Orbital usually map it out a bit smoother than this. Still loving Halcyon, but second song on? Nah. And drop the Bon Jovi now chaps. The Opus 3 samples are a nice change. Also agree that a half 'Satan'/half 'Beezledub' mix a la Glastonbury would knock the balls off it's current form.

I've realised that the new screens need to be appreciated from a bit further back - get too close and it's all a bit pixelly. Loving the freshness but I am missing some of the trademark stuff like the Satan visuals which would look cracking on the LEDs. Some of it's a bit generic (Sad But True and Straight Sun have rather dull visuals IMO)
Dielinquent
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Dielinquent »

I agree with Steve to drop Halcyon, but ive got to say that last tours version of Halcyon was the best i've ever heard. I love Halcyon, but now its time to drop it from the set and replace is for another standout vocalish track which is Distractions.

I also agree to drop Never. Its a beauty of a track but no real live addings to it and a bit misplaced to put it halfway the set.
However One big moment is a brilliant track and a nice gig opener to inmediately feel at home again with the live soundings of Orbital.

I would love the return of Remind. This track is like the second Impact for me. I mean, every tour is a surprise to me how this tours version will sound like, i love the 2004 and 2009 version of Remind.

As Snivilisation is my favorite album I was happy to see its return to the live field with a fantastic version of Are we here. I also like Sad but true as album track but for the gigs i would replace it by Attached.

Also I think at least one track from In Sides should be played live, so that would be The Box or P.E.T.R.O.L.

My favorite parts of the last tour were Wonky, Where is it going, and Crime. Those tracks kept me smiling from ear to ear. Crime is absolutely brilliant live with the funny little cubic synth melody, the nice Material Girl vocals and the raw Rave melody at the end which reminds me of the early Prodigy days.

From the Green album days I would love the return of Open Mind, and maybe its time to drop Belfast for a couple of years.

But anyway, I love the tours as they are, and its nice to speculate what would be the perfect tour. The perfect tour would be a 3 hour set I guess as they have a ridiculous amount of classic tunes.