phil's DJ set this weekend in hollywood

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

maus
Question: Orbital

phil's DJ set this weekend in hollywood

Post by maus »

hay guize.

haven't checked in for a long while, but wanted to vent my distaste at this mockery of a flyer i received in my inbox today from incognito productions.

phil is doing a DJ set at a place called marbella bank in hollywood this weekend. that's all well and good - quite cool, actually... but these bastards are marketing this as a "classic live orbital performance" - going so far as to use live orbital footage in the "video flyer", and using Q magazine quotes like "one of 50 bands you must see before you die".

just kinda pissed me off that they're trying to pass off a DJ set as a live orbital gig.

but this part really got me:

"From their 1st release in 1989 of "Chime" to the 1991 hit "Halycon" to "Time Becomes", the "Box", "Satan", "Beached" and more, ORBITAL's discography is like a historical account of what's good in Dance music."

Time Becomes? yeah... that one gets rocked on the dancefloor with alarming regularity, i'm sure you'll all agree.

goddamn LA hipster scum.

anyways, i might try and make it out to see phil spin, although i'm not much for DJ sets. =)

forgive my bitterness.
jefffinsd

Re: phil's DJ set this weekend in hollywood

Post by jefffinsd »

Thanks for posting this. I caught this last week while searching for Orbital news on Facebook. I agree that the advert is very misleading and those who don't know better may be very disappointed.

I've been contemplating heading up there, I'm from San Diego, to see the performance, but seeing as the performance is from 10 pm to 4 a.m., I'm afraid my nearly 40 year old body would have a hard time making it through the night and seeing as Phil is top billing, I figure he will be getting on late in the evening. I've heard some of Phil's DJ sets via the internet and I'm sure there will be plenty of dancey Orbital tunes, so it would be a fun night. Hopefully, we'll get some reviews or feedback from the performance. Keep us posted.
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

that kind of false advertising is dodgy as fuck, but phil's dj sets are well worth checking out :)
dance your cares away, worries for another day
Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

I went to an Elvis gig recently!

well, not really an Elvis gig..
but they did have a poster of Elvis on the wall!
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses