orbital @ the warfield 4/16

Information on Artist tours, music nights and CD/Record releases. Members can submit details and a monthly thread will be updated.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

cmos_master
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

orbital @ the warfield 4/16

Post by cmos_master »

I am so happy to have Orbital coming to San Francisco. I am sure it was a complete coincidence...but, after seeing the announcement that they were playing Coachella, I logged onto the guestbook here, and said the following
Thought of sticking around in the US for a couple shows before/after Coachella? Please? The US misses Orbital.

Recommendation: drive out of San Francisco at sunrise on a clear day, when you hit the hill heading down towards the bay near candlestick park, start Belfast at maximum volume. Its breathtaking.
Added: January 29, 2010

Well, next thing I knew the announcement for the Warfield showed up in my inbox and I was standing out in front of the venue the day the tickets went on sale. Can't wait to see you guys. I had tickets to see you in Milwaukee in 2001, and then ended up missing it for some stupid final exam in college. I was so upset with myself for missing the opportunity, especially after all my friends came back exclaiming how awesome the show was with blood dripping out of their ears. After years of no shows in the states I thought I had missed my only chance. This is going to be fun! Whether or not my guestbook theatrics had anything to do with the show, many thanks!
jefffinsd

Re: orbital @ the warfield 4/16 - may be spoilers

Post by jefffinsd »

Awesome show from the Hartnoll's Friday night. Flew in from San Diego to see them in San Francisco, a couple behind us commented on my Altogether Tour Shirt and said that they flew in from Phoenix to see them. Really cool venue with lots of history and the sound was really really good. I haven't had my ears ringing after a concert in a long time. It's been 9 long years since I've seen Orbital last play which was in Los Angeles in 2001 and it was my 8th time seeing them perform. I saw one guy in a Communion Tour shirt when they toured with Meat Beat Manifesto and Ultramarine. I first saw Orbital on that tour in San Diego and it was a great night back then , and to see them after so many years and how they reworked their songs was incredible.

The set list was no different than what's been played on their recent shows. After listening to several recordings and YouTubes of their recent gigs I was really familiar with how they messed around with their songs and what to expect, but to experience it is person is on a whole other level. My wife, who is not a fan of them or that type music, said I was grinning ear to ear everytime she saw me.

My favs were Remind which is such an amazing song that just builds and builds and has that sinister sound to it. Chime was a thing of beauty, as always, and they did some really nice tweaks on this one and the crowd seemed really into this song for sure. I thought the crowd was really enthusiastic throughout the entire concert and it seemed Orbital was really feeding off of them as well and giving them a hell of a show. They really looked to be a having a good time, too. I also really dug Know Where to Run, with that kick ass beat, It's impossible to not want to move to that song. Halcyon, of course, got everyone in the house moving and swaying.

The encore was too short for me, I wanted it to go on forever. But they really brought the house down with The Box and Dr. Who. It was an epic night of Orbital music and I hope to be lucky enough to see them again. 2 hours of Orbital bliss is never enough, these guys are simply amazing!
MusicGoblin

Re: orbital @ the warfield 4/16

Post by MusicGoblin »

I hadn't seen Orbital since 2001 as well and flew in from Los Angeles for this concert.. I was NOT disappointed at all. I purposely tried to avoid any setlist spoilers and the songs/tweaks were downright euphoric. I didn't think I'd ever get to hear my all time favorite Out There Somewhere live again. The sound quality at The Warfield was one of the best I have ever heard.. not sure if it was the venue or Orbital but everything was so tight and punchy sounding. Orbital have perfected their live show!

After seeing the Coachella set times I am glad I chose the SF show over it but wish I was there tonight :wink:
MadPooter

Post by MadPooter »

I am indebted to the Hartnoll Brothers for their performance at the Warfield on Friday. I have been waiting six years to see them, and it was a wonderful moment of closure having been able to witness their brilliant live set, not to mention be amongst such amazing people in the crowd in a beautiful mind-meld.

I had heard a number of full-length sets which they had performed last year and I was expecting a very similar set to what I had already experienced from recordings. What I did not expect, however, was to be absolutely blown away by what I recognized as their ability to improvise and draw out different moments.

The set resides for me at #3 on my list of all-time best shows. God bless you all who came out, and thanks for adding to the energy of the set. It was magical.

**Edit: Anyone know if the set was recorded?
jefffinsd

Post by jefffinsd »

Still mentally reliving that experience. I wish I could see them again soon. Reading some of the posts on different message boards, they really rocked in Coachella as well, despite shortening the set by over half. I am glad I got to see them in their full set glory in San Francisco, I really hope somebody managed to tape the show. I did see lots of camera's, cell phone, etc capturing the moments. I managed to snag some, but the quality is really really poor. I came across a review for those interested, here it is:
http://www.examiner.com/x-23669-SF-Musi ... isco-41610
MadPooter

Post by MadPooter »

Very nice review.

I've been listening to the recording of Orbital from the 02 Academy in Sheffield from September of last year--same setlist. It's been doing the job of repeatedly bringing me back to Friday. :D

God bless those two guys...
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Nice to read some reviews folks, so thanks for posting your thoughts :)
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

To be honest Steve, I'm not convinced they really enjoyed it.....
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?