When did you realise....?

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

legspin
Open Mind
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

When did you realise....?

Post by legspin »

Just curious as to the first time you liked the sort of stuff you are into?
e.g. For myself I remember 'Pulstar' by Vangelis being used for a T.V. theme back in the seventies. It immediately struck a chord and has stuck with me since even though I have been through every thing from metal to cajun to new romantic ( I used to be a right pretentious twat as a teen ). Then when I was in college I heard it again, and realised their was no point fighting against it, Electronica was really what I was into.

It is still one of my fave tunes :)
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

When I heard Mike Oldfield on 'Blue Peter'. I was 7 or 8 at the time.
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
elektrohog

Post by elektrohog »

my mother, my self, and my brother would listen to hearts of space every sunday for years, until i was about 9. it wasen't until 1995, (i was into semi-electronic industrial at the time) that i heard joey beltram on a sampler cd, that's when i knew i loved straight electronic music. i saw meat beat manifesto and alex patterson when i was 13 a year later, and there was no turning back. electronic music defines my life.

tom d
trompurple
HOAX

Post by trompurple »

It was all GnR, Nirvana and Pearl Jam until I heard You're Like Magic by The House Crew. Since then it's been repetitive (or not so repetitive) beats all the way...
Mashed Potatoes? Why do hate mashed potatoes? (It's a hoax, I don't really hate them)
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

First obsession was T Rex, but the first electronic tuneage I remember was Popcorn by Hot Butter.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Popcorn by Hot Butter

There's a tune I haven't heard in an age :)
I once heard that was a mathematical programme transposed to a musical score. Anyone know if there is any veracity to this?
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

my brother got me into rave music, "experience" started a long love affair with the prodigy. i still bear the tattoo. yes. and dance music generally from there i guess.
dance your cares away, worries for another day
Dagobah Citizen

Post by Dagobah Citizen »

Jan Hammer's music for "Miami Vice", particularly "Crockett's Theme". I was probably about 8-9 years old back then, and it showed me something new and fantastic. Then came years of playing computer games and listening to computer music... Ah, the days of the old Commodore 64 :)
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Seeing Orbital at Glasto in '94.
Before that point in time I disliked electronic music in most forms :?
Apart from the Knightrider theme...
stimpee
Saint

Post by stimpee »

heard my older brothers Kraftwerk stuff in 1981-ish i guess. Cos I remember The Model. Didnt stop me diversifying into dodgy metal halfway thru the 80s tho! :D
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

davemacfrombath wrote: the first electronic tuneage I remember was Popcorn by Hot Butter.
Wow, I can remember that. Another early one for me was Kraftwerk's Autobahn. Plus, of course, the Dr Who theme. :)
"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in your beliefs, and prove to me I am not mistaken in mine."
And they DID come back. Ha!
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Well, it has to be 1989, when I discovered a whole host of electronic music via John Peel's shows at the time. From the Peel Sessions and tracks played during that period, I discovered A Guy Called Gerald (of course! :P ), 808 State, The Orb (loved the 'A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain' Peel Session), The Shamen, Baby Ford, The Shamen, etc.

The first time I heard any Orbital was when I was at Uni and the DJ played 'Belfast', whereupon my mate, Gwyn, went up to the DJ to ask who it was. He then went out and bought the Green album, and the rest is history! :)

I suppose that, pre-1989, the kind of electronic music that I listened to included Jean Michel Jarre and Mike Oldfield (from my Dad, and of course the Blue Peter theme!) and Kraftwerk (when 'The Model' went top 10 back in 1982 ?), but it wasn't until the 1989 acid house movement and the convergence of house into indie music (mainly the Madchester bands), that my music path went into an electronic/dance direction.

Nowadays, I don't tend to listen to that much indie music anymore, apart from the odd band, like New Order... A lot of the current wave of indie bands don't seem to 'do' anything for me, many of whom tend to be third-rate My Bloody Valentine rip-offs... Maybe it's me growing older? :roll:

l8rs,

Nick ;)
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

My story in 50 words or less:

I went from Pet Shop Boys and 80s synth music through KLF to Prodigy (Music for the Jilted Generation) and Chemical Brothers (Dig Your Own Hole), until P.E.T.R.O.L. and The Box made me buy In Sides (which I hated on the first few listens). :)
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
Karnorjax
Oolaa

Post by Karnorjax »

I had Blue Peter was my 1st 7" single.

my 1st proper electronic moment was when my mum got me Sounds of Star wars on Tape by the Sonic All Stars.

Electonic versions of the Star wars tunes, I woulda been 6 or 7 I think

loved that tape, wore it out and snapped it from rewinding and playing my favourite bleeps and bloops, but I repiared it.

still have it thou, with all my inlay notes on what time on the counter they were.
Is there anyone there ??????? IS THERE ANYONE THERE !!!!!
Dollydagger
Open Mind

Post by Dollydagger »

I was a b-girl hip hop freak first in the 80's, as a teen the first electronica I heard was probably Kraftwerk's Tour de France in the Breakdance movie! Loved it! Also bought Blue Monday on 12" when it came out late eighties. Dibbled & dabbled after that, liked Prodigy & the Chems from the start, also things like Massive Attack & Portishead. Didn't knowingly hear my 1st Orbital until early 2001 when my mate Naomi told me she'd sung on a record called Funny Break by some band called Orbital ( :lol: ), checked them out and the rest has been uphill from there :)
I don't use Myspace anymore, you'll find me on Facebook ;-b