Wonky - One Year On

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Wickerman
Novice
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Wonky - One Year On

Post by Wickerman »

If my memory serves correctly, Wonky was released a year ago this week. What are your thoughts about the album 12 months on?
roorback
Novice

Re: Wonky - One Year On

Post by roorback »

I still think it's brillant and it hasn't worn out. Never, Stringy Acid and Where is it going have become three of my favorite tracks (Orbital and non-Orbital).
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

Totally agree with all the above. I still listen to it on a regular basis.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

I do think its a great album, but for me it lacks the depth of previous albums.
Its hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that makes a tune deep... it certainly involves multilayered rhythms and melodies all working with each other, and I find this lacking in Wonky. Everything is happening in the foreground, missing the little subtleties that change a tune from being good to fantastic. I could describe it sounding rushed.
There are some exceptions; As controversial as it is, Beelzedub is very multilayered and very involving for the listener. Its deep and subtle, yet at the same time its got the energy and balls to slap you about on the dancefloor.
Not one of my favourites on the album, but New France has this depth too.

Where is it going is a fantastic tune imo, one of the best on the album, but very simple for orbital. Its almost as if its hollow, there are virtually no subtle shifts or changes in melody or percussion happening in the background which rewards the listener and prompts multiple listens.
My favourite track on the album has to be Distractions, its fantastic and it sounds great... and when i listen to it, it takes me on a little journey. This is the Orbital I love, the melodies, the darkness, the moments of light poking through... the changes in mood and direction is what its all about for me.

A year on and to be honest it doesnt get too much airplay. But for a while now I have been listening to other artists and genres.
Orbital will always be my favourite musical idols, Wonky is a great starting point for Orbital mark 2, but they can do a lot better if you ask me.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

One of the things I always loved was the way they would string tracks together into a mega-tune. This always gave a quite organic flow to their albums. Wonky has some great tunes on it (Distractions, Straight Sun and Wonky being the stand outs for me) but there was a choppiness that robbed it of that build of sounds so evocative of what the Lads do best.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

If you think about it though, Wonky was conceived as an album of Live tracks. Tracks made to be played live and fit in with some live favourites. So it was probably always going to suffer from a bit of "choppiness".

I understand completely what Memly And Legspin are saying and yeah I loved the flowing tracks of past albums taking you on a journey, but I still absolutely love Wonky. I think it's a great album with some stand out tracks (Where Is It Going?, Wonky and Distractions - really wish we'd heard that one live!) and I only hope that they can produce another great album when we get some more new material...which I hope isn't too far away (a new EP for summer 2013? :wink: ).

I think as Memly said - it's a great place to start from for this new phase of Orbital (in fact it's got to be one of the better comeback albums) and hopefully things can only get better.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

I still love this album, but I do understand previous comments. As for the choppiness, I think the first half of the album does suffer from this, but I do feel the second half flows better and for me the second half is the stronger part.

Will be very interested to hear a follow up to Wonky. And I too think things can only get better.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Reading back on my post...
It read really negative, but I didnt want it to sound that negative, I do like it, a lot.

But they can do better!
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Kagey
Geography group B

Post by Kagey »

Couldn't bring myself to listen to this album for awhile due to some real world bitterness

Stuck it on headphones the other week
and thoroughly lost myself in it again it was brilliant
Straight Sun and Where is it Going are now amongst my favourite tunes and should stay part of the live set forevermore
and lets not forget the live surprise that is Wonky which never fails to go mental

I'm very happy with it as an album and long may it stay that way
and yes please Distractions live please
ultraviolet
Anti Spam: orbital

Post by ultraviolet »

Although I'm not a fan of this album as much as some of their earlier work, it's much better than their last album
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

I must admit that you won't beat the great 3; Brown Album, Snivilisation and Insides.

8)