explaining Orbital - assistance required please.

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

pme
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

explaining Orbital - assistance required please.

Post by pme »

Right

I've been trying to do this for years but with no success. What is the most simplest, in laymans terms, explanation of what the boys actually do on stage? I am a long term fan, but alone amongst my peers. I'm about to go into orbital overdrive in anticipation of orbital's visit to Belfast. So, what do I say whenver I hear 'they're just pressing the play button!'

Any advice?
legspin
Open Mind

Re: explaining Orbital - assistance required please.

Post by legspin »

Ah yes, this old cookie.
For many you are on a loser here straight away, especially those who don't want to listen.

The only two arguements I have ever heard to work to any degree are,

1) imagine pressing play and stop on 20 different cd players in a pre-determined but ever changing order 500 times in an hour. which is essentially what a conductor does. The difference is a conductor will have the score in front of him and he won't have to manipulate anything more complicated than a stick.
It still has to be composed beforehand even if that "only" means finding the sounds and samples and sticking them down in some sort of coherent order. Ask a musician how easy it is to write a tune from scratch. Coming up with the concept is difficult enough.

2) Do you like it? If you do then why the fuck does it matter? If you don't then you won't get it anyway.

Neither arguement is particularly effective, tbh.
Don't give up though. I was once one of the nay-sayers.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
pme

Re: explaining Orbital - assistance required please.

Post by pme »

Good answer, lepspin.

Fuckin right I won't give up - I've been at this for 14yrs ffs and I'm not stopping. I can't explain it properly though, although tbf, everyone I always brought with me to see them live understands where I'm coming from.

I never knew about Orbital until I saw them live. I was hooked and since then I've faced many questions as I talked about them.

I like your no. 2 response - i'll go with that.