Are you still listening to the album and thoughts now

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Lobe
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Are you still listening to the album and thoughts now

Post by Lobe »

After what happened with the blue album (listened to it for a couple of weeks and then shoved it in away never to be seen again) I wondered weather wonky would fair any better. Well a couple of months on and it's still on rotation in my car in-between listening to talksport so that's a good start. As for tracks well.......
One big moment - still listening to this classic orbital but may have played it too much at first so sometimes gets skipped
Straight sun - don't listen to this gets skipped
Never - same with this, orbital by numbers
New france - brilliant track one of the best on the album
Distractions - probably the best on the album although the slow section is better than the faster part
Stringy acid - again brilliant, I could listen to a whole album of this type of stuff
Beezledub - not a patch on Satan ok live but a skipper on the stereo
Wonky - again brilliant track but I've played it to death
Where is it going - main riff excellent, verse bit is unimaginative and could have been an absolute belter
Overall though this is a good orbital album, if they do another a good techno album like brown would be brilliant, or something along the lines of insides again , what style does everyone else think ?
Pirtek
Sinner

Re: Are you still listening to the album and thoughts now

Post by Pirtek »

This is an absolutely brilliant album that still gets played at least once a day. I like it from beginning to end and listen to it as a whole. No track is skipped (On mp3 player it's the free download version of Never, not the album version) Can't pick a Favourite, just impossible, but my favourite section of the album is the three tracks that flow into each other (Distractions, Stringy Acid and Beelzedub). Brilliant!
Beezledub - not a patch on Satan ok live but a skipper on the stereo
I disagree. I prefer this version to the original Satan. The live one is awesome too!

As for what style next? Not sure. Repeating themselves would be ok, but would be interested to see what new direction they would take. You'll never see another Snivilisation or Insides IMO.

Wonky is up there with the best. That's for sure! :D
Lobe

Post by Lobe »

Pirtek did you get round to listening to those tracks I sent you , what did you think ?
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

Yeah, sorry I didn't get back to you :oops:

Love your work! The 2002 EP (Abyss, Internal and Train) is my favourite.

:applause
sinner
Saint

Post by sinner »

I don't listening to it too much nowdays, but I still love it! I listen to it about once a week.

(Anyway, Blue Album is one of the best Orbital albums)
Lobe

Post by Lobe »

Cheers pirtek, that ones probably my favourite too
roorback
Novice

Post by roorback »

Still listening to it 4 or 5 times a week! "Never" gets skipped sometimes because I've been listening to it very often before the release of Wonky.
"One Big Moment", "Distractions", "Stringy Acid", "Where Is It Going?" are my favourites. 8)
sinner wrote:(Anyway, Blue Album is one of the best Orbital albums)
It was the first Orbital album I got and it converted me to an Orbital disciple (and more general a lover of electronic music) in less than an hour. (After the last track faded out I googled "Orbital tour" and discovered they had disbanded the year before. Poor, poor roor.)
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

sinner wrote:I don't listening to it too much nowdays, but I still love it! I listen to it about once a week.

(Anyway, Blue Album is one of the best Orbital albums)
Not for me it isn't. It's actually quite low in my Orbital albums. While Wonky is up there with the best :D

I've got the Japanese version of Blue Album which includes Initiation. That makes it a bit better album (would have been even better if it had included What Happens Next? as well).

Just my opinion tho :wink:
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Whilst Blue is not amongst my favourites it still has some pretty good peaks on it and I still play it on occasions. Normally when listening to albums I always try to play them in their entirity just in case a track I didn't like before suddenly speaks to me in a different way - does happen sometimes!

As for Wonky I think its a great album. It might not quite be up their with my absolute favourites but a few months on its still got more than enough to keep me interested. I love the way the album flows even though their isn't one specific theme to it. All the tracks work really well together.

I think I'll still be playing it for years to come.
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3
stranstringulon
Anti Spam: orbital

Post by stranstringulon »

A couple of months in and it is one of the three CD's in the car. The first track still makes me smile and if work has been a trial it always manages to cheer me up in some weird way.

Have listened to it enough now that my 5yr old not only likes Wonky, but sings along to Distractions and Stringy Acid :D
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Not so much now.

I haven't really listened to much music at all recently.

Been more about Radiohead and the new Santigold album for me.

i'm sure I will listen to it more as the winter gigs draw closer, and I still rate it as a good album.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK