Wonky album credits - P + ? Hartnoll

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Lex
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Wonky album credits - P + ? Hartnoll

Post by Lex »

Loving the new album but how come Paul is the only one credited with writing new material?

Can anyone shed some light?
legspin
Open Mind

Re: Wonky album credits - P + ? Hartnoll

Post by legspin »

I wonder is this a can of worms that should be left unopened?
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
darkorb
Novice

Post by darkorb »

Just because Paul is listed as sole songwriter does not mean Phil had no involvement.

I bet you Paul was the one who created the "map", then the pair based the tracks around that, thus giving Paul sole songwriting credit. But actually realizing the blueprint into sound, must had definitely been a joint effort.

I haven't heard the album yet (still waiting for my import!), but from Never and Straight Sun this is definitely not a sole Paul Hartnoll effort or else... what would be the point of reforming? You can hear Phil's sense in there, I've heard his Long Range work.
DMPugh

Post by DMPugh »

I agree, especially with the song "Distractions", which sounds like it could have been an omitted track from Madness and Me.

I just find his absence in the writing credits to be bizarre.
Carpathian

Post by Carpathian »

Has anybody stopped to think that it might just be as simple as one brother not really wanting to get into the whole registration/credits/paperwork side and the other one happy to do it? I somehow don't think the brothers are in it for the songwriting fame game.

Just a thought.....
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

To be honest, it might just be as simple as Paul has always written the bulk of the bands material, whereas Phil is more engineering and programming?

Always seem to recall an old NME interview round about the time of The Saint where they more or less said something along these lines.....
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
DarkFantastic

Post by DarkFantastic »

Long time since I posted anything but I think you'll find the latest NME interview reveals a lot about this subject...

http://www.nme.com/news/orbital/63013
nightfloat

Post by nightfloat »

shadyboy wrote:To be honest, it might just be as simple as Paul has always written the bulk of the bands material, whereas Phil is more engineering and programming?
I was thinking along these lines too. It wouldn't really be at all strange even if Paul really is the only "songwriter" - plenty of bands have only one official "songwriter" but they by no means have sole control over the final product - so the creative influences of all band members are crucial, even if the initial seeds of the melody came from one person.

Or it could be a typo. Or a paperwork issue.

In any case, I don't think it's all that meaningful. 8)
BombJack

Post by BombJack »

Or it could be that Paul had the guts of the album done already, and it wasn't right that a co-writing credit was applied?

BTW - that NME link just goes to the stream of the album...
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

DMPugh wrote:I agree, especially with the song "Distractions", which sounds like it could have been an omitted track from Madness and Me.

I just find his absence in the writing credits to be bizarre.
Mind that the seeds of distractions can be heard in the video where Paul was on his own cause Phil was ill....
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
Lex

Post by Lex »

This interview seems very one sided?

http://www.nme.com/news/orbital--2/63013

Anyway who cares the new album is incredible, I can't wait for stringy acid at the royal Albert hall.

See you at the front!
sinner
Saint

Post by sinner »

It all makes me feel bad. I can't understand how can be only Paul as the songwriter this time when all of the previous albums wrote both of them, this time why just Paul?? So the reforming makes no sensne if only Paul wrote Wonky album. It's a sad thing, becasue this way it's like another solo album from Paul. Anyway, the sounding is absolutely true Orbital, but I can't understand this whole crediting thing. I want some official announcment, or interview, or something about this to clear the things.

What I can see anytime they are on the camera (youtube diaries, Wonky track-by-track) always just Paul talks, and it seems to me Paul is the brain behind this album. But these are just guessings, so who knows, but the credits are speak for itself.
Last edited by sinner on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

I personality think all of their albums start with one or the other writing tracks and the produciing. I think Paul said once that they took it turns to write and produce different tracks. Thats why other albums have written and produced by P&P Hartnoll. It's just this time one wrote and the other produced more. I dont think its a big deal. I know I've used the words 'writing' and 'producing' alot! :P