For those who want to hear a bit more Wonky...

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

pooptoad

Re: For those who want to hear a bit more Wonky...

Post by pooptoad »

It may be a DJ set, but we are hearing the segues between the tracks, so we are hearing what they are planning to do live I would say.

Some of my most memorable live Orbital moments have involved Satan and something wouldnt feel quite right if it wasn't played.

If I was a betting man though, I would wager a fiver on beelzedub getting played as a standalone track.
Badger
Doctor Look Out
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Badger »

Some of the transitions are probably what will happen but i really think its only a small fraction. Some of the mixing across to tracks was a little forced i think because of the tracks they wanted to play for this DJ set. I reckon they may surprise us and make a quite an interesting flow for the full live set.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
pooptoad

Post by pooptoad »

Not sure about it only being a fraction.

I love Orbital to bits but if I had a gripe it would be that their live shows are quite predictable in terms of what tracks they play and the order they play them in.

In all honesty, I have never been very surprised at what I've heard at an Orbital gig.

Would have thought it time to drop Halcyon and Belinda and also Dr?, which I dont think is an ideal way to end the set.

Anyway,I will be loving every single second of the gig in Glasgow gig where the Belinda sample goes down particularly well so I will stop moaning and be thankful that my favourite ever band are playing in Scotland on a Saturday night and have some blinding good new material out.
Karnorjax
Oolaa

Post by Karnorjax »

cracking little mix loved it
Is there anyone there ??????? IS THERE ANYONE THERE !!!!!
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

pooptoad wrote:Not sure about it only being a fraction.

I love Orbital to bits but if I had a gripe it would be that their live shows are quite predictable in terms of what tracks they play and the order they play them in.

In all honesty, I have never been very surprised at what I've heard at an Orbital gig.

Would have thought it time to drop Halcyon and Belinda and also Dr?, which I dont think is an ideal way to end the set.

Anyway,I will be loving every single second of the gig in Glasgow gig where the Belinda sample goes down particularly well so I will stop moaning and be thankful that my favourite ever band are playing in Scotland on a Saturday night and have some blinding good new material out.
Really? You've never been surprised at an Orbital gig? I mean, I know they got somewhat samey during the 'best of' years before the split, but are you actually saying that the inclusion of tracks like 'Crime' or 'Out There Somewhere' and 'The Mobius' on the last tour was predictable? I find that a bit much! For what it's worth the ending on Doctor? at the 2009 Manchester gigs was nothing short of cathartic!

The best version of Satan I've ever seen them do was the recent Glasto version with the insane breakdown at the seven minute mark that would eventually become the latter half of Beezledub. If they could just stick to that I'd be happy!

Some great stuff in this mix but a VERY weird arrangement of tracks. Opening with Beezledub? No 'One Big Moment?' (an obvious opener if ever there was one). And putting 'Where is it going?' that early into the set? Odd.

They look like they're having SO much fun in this video though!

I do wish Paul would stop wearing that bloody blazer though. It puts about 10 years on him. He looked about 15 at the Maida Vale gigs just by leaving it off...
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

I think the live set will have New France into Halcyon into Where Is It Going? near the end of the main set (with maybe some other track mixing into the end of WIIG? like maybe Impact). Think it just happened to be thrown in early in the DJ set to mix things up a bit. Then again I could be completely wrong.

And I completely agree with you JIMBO, it's the surprises at an Orbital gig that make each tour special. Even the re-introduction of Lush on the last tour was again another surprise. The female vocal added to The Box and the massive long crossover from The Box into the rave Doctor ?.

I'm sure they will have a lot of surprises even with the Maida Vale and Boiler Room sets that we have heard.

I do hope they find a nice mix and flow throughout the set.

Muphex

Post by Muphex »

It's so nice to see them both enjoying themselves so much. I had got used to Paul sort of standing off to the side quite still occasionally raising the odd finger, but he is proper going for it here. It's awesome. The bit at the beginning of chime when they get carried away makes me smile so much. I can't stop watching it.
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Just listening to that mix of Are We Here? and noticed the opening sample from "Desert Storm" off the Green album (around the 53.55 mark for the whole set).

"May the Blessings of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend upon us all. This day and forever more. "

Also sounds like possibly more of the film the sample is from music wise in the breakdown straight after but I could be wrong. It's been I while since I watched it.

vvt23
Novice
Anti Spam: orbital

Post by vvt23 »

I thought wonky went into straight sun very very nicely.

Must say they do ahem look like they were enjoying themselves. Summer of love 2012?
Vadertech
Novice

Post by Vadertech »

For those interested, the DJ set is now up for free download at itunes at the link below. Download currently in progress on my iphone ready to go into rotation on the car stereo until next week when the album comes.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/boil ... d416373570
Shanky, shanky Jose!
vvt23
Novice
Anti Spam: orbital

Post by vvt23 »

Can someone please put it somewhere other than itunes?
nightfloat

Post by nightfloat »

haha, I love a fellow iTunes hater. ;) (I use the player but I don't like their store.)

I'm giving in and listening to this. OMG. LOVE.

Re: some of the discussion - I like Paul's jacket, very styley, but not very ravey so I see why some don't. I could do without Halcyon in the live set but that's easy for me to say as a megafan. I've probably played it hundreds or even more than a thousand times in the last however many years and might be a little burned out. It's the new stuff that gives me goosebumps. But you can see from audiences that it's huge and thus... guess they have to leave it in. :)
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

I also hate iTunes, in all its forms...luckily its on my mum's laptop so I'm using it whilst I'm here.

nightfloat

Post by nightfloat »

Forgot to comment on the discussion about Doctor ? - I think they definitely should leave this one in, what with how huge the show has gotten in the last couple of years. :)
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Yeah just finish with Crime/StringyAcid/Chime