Is this the origin of Straight Sun?

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Wickerman
Novice
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Is this the origin of Straight Sun?

Post by Wickerman »

Was re-watching some of the 'In The Studio' videos, and wondered if the music playing in the background of this one was what eventually became Straight Sun? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdtLQ_EwKfg

The beat at the start sounds pretty much identical, but then when the melody kicks in, it's pretty different. Except it does seem to fit a similar melodic pattern. And after I played Straight Sun again, I kept expecting it to go into this, so maybe it's not that different after all? What do people think?
Pirtek
Sinner

Re: Is this the origin of Straight Sun?

Post by Pirtek »

It could well be :nerd
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

I was watching the diaries again a few days back and was thinking exactly the same thing Wickerman.
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3
Wickerman
Novice

Post by Wickerman »

Glad I'm not the only one that thought so... Or the only one who's watched the videos more than once in anticipation of the album!

I really like that melody the 'original' version goes into. It's got that summery, euphoric sound. So kind of a shame if it's been cut out, unless it's used elsewhere...
Vadertech
Novice

Post by Vadertech »

I actually really love the version in the background of the diary video. Has kind of a "Middle of Nowhere" vibe to it which was a great uppity dancey album. I hope this may eventually become a b-side like the boys used to do. Something like Mock Tudor was to Style.

Either way, the album version of Straight Sun has become one of my favorites on "Wonky" even if this primitive version would have been amazing.
Shanky, shanky Jose!
sinner
Saint

Post by sinner »

Wickerman wrote:Was re-watching some of the 'In The Studio' videos, and wondered if the music playing in the background of this one was what eventually became Straight Sun? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdtLQ_EwKfg

The beat at the start sounds pretty much identical, but then when the melody kicks in, it's pretty different. Except it does seem to fit a similar melodic pattern. And after I played Straight Sun again, I kept expecting it to go into this, so maybe it's not that different after all? What do people think?
I thought the same when I heard this snippet. It must be the demo of SS.
It's a shame that this version isn't on the albnum, bacause I love the melody of the demo.
sinner
Saint

Post by sinner »

As I see everybody loves the demo. :)
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

I too remember hearing this and thinking "yeah! This is great".
thehitcher
Novice

Post by thehitcher »

I like the one which went on Wonky, but i wish this one was on the final version. I wonder if Flood had anything to do with the change?
Lobe

Post by Lobe »

As a side note to this, me and my mate started an orbital type band in the 90's (EDA) and did a few gigs. We sent a track to future music in 1998 and got featured on the cover cd and a demo write up in the mag saying we sounded like orbital. The issue was September or October and the track was called eclipse. The main riff is remarkably similar to that of straight sun although the tune is obviously different. If anyone has the cd have a listen and see what you think.
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

As a side note to this, me and my mate started an orbital type band in the 90's (EDA) and did a few gigs. We sent a track to future music in 1998 and got featured on the cover cd and a demo write up in the mag saying we sounded like orbital. The issue was September or October and the track was called eclipse. The main riff is remarkably similar to that of straight sun although the tune is obviously different. If anyone has the cd have a listen and see what you think.
Don't you have it as an mp3. I'd really like to hear this.
Lobe

Post by Lobe »

I have got an mp3 of it but it's not online or anything, I can send it to you if you want, where do you want me to send it
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

PM me if that's ok :)
Lobe

Post by Lobe »

Pirtek, just spent a couple of hours putting some stuff on Soundcloud. If you type in eda music in the search box you can listen to eclipse on there. I've also put a couple of other tracks on there - both lobe tracks from 2002 (solo name after my mate said he didn't want to do it anymore) one was featured in Computer Music April or May 2002 and on the CD.
The files sound a bit quiet on Soundcloud so if you still want mp3 then I'll PM you. See what you think, remember the track is now 14 years old. I haven't done much production since 2002 with family commitments etc, however seeing Orbital last week has given me a buzz to maybe start doing it again.

http://soundcloud.com/eda-music
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

Cheers. I'll check it out. :)