Hello/Thoughts on the new material/Random meanderings

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

donkey rhubarb
Question: Orbital

Hello/Thoughts on the new material/Random meanderings

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Well folk, haven’t been here for some time but am back to express my utter joy and excitement about the new album. There is always a magical feeling in the ether when we approach and upcoming Orbital release/tour that I simply don’t feel about any other band.

It’s also truly lovely to come back on to these forums and see many of the old crew still here. Haven’t been on here much in recent years but have been part of these communities on and off (and often from a distance) for over a decade and discovered many great non-Orbital here artists so thanks for that!

Roll on April 1st! I’m chomping at the bit for that date so I can hear the album in full. To all you lucky peeps that have already got your hands on the promos I’m eagerly awaiting your reviews and am also very much enjoyed Steve’s review of the album which looked pretty encouraging.

I’ve only heard New France, Wonky (DJ version) Straight Sun and Never so far but here’s my two cents having given myself a few weeks to digest what I’ve heard.
Overall I’m sensing a real return to form from the boys. Although I liked the last two albums in parts I just didn’t get the same sense of energy and innovation when hearing those tracks from the first time that I’m getting from all the new tracks so far. I’m sensing a real range and diversity across these four tracks.

New France, although quite ‘un-orbital’ in its radio friendly accessibility still has that ‘orbitalness’ about it that I can’t quite put my finger on. Straight Sun I loved from the get go and it’s still getting better. I wasn’t too sure about Never at first but that has now really grown on me and the DJ mix of Wonky? Well that is an absolute masterpiece in my opinion. One the best tracks they’ve done in many, many years. It’s just such a brave and mental track!

In all the songs I’m hearing dexterity and subtlety that perhaps weren’t always present through the TA and Blue. This is beginning to sound like a triumph already.
Cannot wait till the Albert Hall gig which I will be attending! Somewhat ironically the curse of unemployment has led to me to have to vacate London and am now back from whence I came which means that the SGP is now my local festival. Sadly financial constraints mean I’m not gonna be able to make that one but I’m living so close to the site that think I’ll be checking the prevailing wind that evening, wandering to the woodlands nearby and having a little listen from a distance just to make sure I’m not missing out entirely (worked a treat for Leftfield last year although they were so loud I suspect have the county heard that set!)

Orbital have been a huge part of my life for 16 years now (half my life) and all this recent activity has really lifted my spirits in an otherwise slightly dull and frustrating phase of my existence. I even dusted down the 1210s yesterday and had a bit of a session on them! It wasn’t long before I got to the Orbital collection. Had genuinely forgotten that it was reasonably extensive. Digging out and playing the 12” of Midnight and the Walk Now/ Lush promo again brought a bit of joy to my heart.

Roll on April Fools (did I already say that?). You get my drift :wink:
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3
Loopz
Site Admin

Re: Hello/Thoughts on the new material/Random meanderings

Post by Loopz »

Good to see you back mr donkey rhubarb :)
pooptoad

Post by pooptoad »

I didnt like the Altogether one bit, even though the tour in 2001 was amazing.

The Blue Album to me was a sad way to end such a triumphant career. Whilst most tunes were actually nice to listen to, none of them were close to Orbital at their best.

I have heard 4 tracks from the new album and am absolutely loving all of them.

With a healthy nod to the dancefloor in Straight Sun, I was instantly sucked in and cant wait to hear this in Glasgow in April.

As an old time Orbital die hard, I am getting the impression Wonky is going to be up there with their best work.
Pirtek
Sinner
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Pirtek »

Oh it is! :wink:
Kagey
Geography group B

Post by Kagey »

All I have to say is,
Where is it going?

:lol:
http://www.clockworkdisco.com

"Let's face it, "digital sound" is a misnomer...

Unless you plug the wires directly into your skull, at the end of the chain is a set of speakers pumping back-and-forth turning ANY signal into analogue waves..."
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

pooptoad wrote: I am getting the impression Wonky is going to be up there with their best work.

Judging by the comments of those round these parts from those who have heard it that certainly seems to be the case.
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Good to see some old names pop up... welcome back.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK