The gig wish

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

legspin
Open Mind
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

The gig wish

Post by legspin »

So, apart from the majority of the new album (which is bound to get played), what would you like to hear at the forthcoming gigs?
Chime, Belfast and Satan are taken as given also.
As a corollary, what would you like to see left out?

My 2 cents

In
Anything from Snivilisation. My favourite album, I was a little surprised Sniv has not been a part of the gig scene in awhile. Are We Here or Forever for preference but anything really.
P.E.T.R.O.L.. With the new mix on WipEout it would be good to here it live.
Technologicque Park. Speed fest ahoy
T.G.W.T.S.I.H.H..

Out
One Perfect Sunrise.
?
Bon Jovi.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Re: The gig wish

Post by Badger »

About time someone started this thread!

I'd like to hear a good fair chunk of the new album plus:

IN:
The Naked And The Dead (revamped slightly)
Walk Now (full on beefed up 2012 version ...mixed into Wonky maybe)
Forever (think this would fit in with the new tunes)
P.E.T.R.O.L. (if the new mix of this is as good as people are saying then yes this would be a cool way to put it back into the set)
Oolaa (I think I would probably die happy if this got a make over like The Moebius did recently and found it's way back into the live set)

STAY/REFURBISHED:
Don't Stop Me (think this should still be in the live set as it sounded great from the Glastonbury 2010 footage)
Chime and Crime (but maybe put them the other way round..i.e. start with Crime then mix into Chime and maybe have it back towards the end of the set)
Impact (maybe part 2 first and part 1 second a la 1999 tour)
Remind (was amazing last tour)
Halcyon ( I know a few people might want this dropped but it's still my fav tune and I really want to hear it live with the Opus III samples in it that they have been playing for the last couple of years...SO PLEASE KEEP THEM IN :-)
Lush (would love to this stay as this was another stand out from the recent tours).
Satan (will obviously stay as Beelzedub although i think a hybrid between the orig and the new might be the way to go with this).
The Gun Is Good (I'd like this to stay as well...mainly because I haven't had the chance to hear it live before!)

OUT:
Belfast (don't hate me Rich....you do need room for the new tunes.)
The Box (again same reason although i loved the last tours version with the vocal samples and the awesome long crossover into Dr ?)
Dr ? (this might not go down so well but think this could get dropped for a while ...see how it goes without it..and give more room for other older tracks like Forever to appear.)
One Perfect Sunrise (has already been dropped in favour of The Gun Is Good recently and will probably stay dropped.)

Now weighing it all up I think to get a good mix of old and new P+P are looking at a 2 1/2 hour show...but I know we'll prob get a 2 hour show at max. They'll be looking at working out a 1 1/2 hr festival set out of the new set too but i think if you go for a 2 1/2hr show you could make up a longer encore section with some old tracks that only get played at the solo shows (think Out There Somewhere/The Moebius from recently) AND a couple of other new album tracks that they may not play in the festival set.

That's just a couple of ideas though. And I can say I'm massively looking forward to what hopefully will be a completely new set list construction (like Orbital always used to create for new album tours).

Whatever gets played and whatever happens the tour will be a riot.

I'm going to get the chance to catch up with a whole lot of friends, some of whom I haven't seen in 8 years (the 2004 ''final''' tour), and dance around to Orbital Live in some big UK venues (although seeing them in small club gigs here in Oz in 2010 was damn cool too) with a new album to cap it off.

Bring it on I say! WOOF!
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

I would be surprised if they dropped Belfast is all I was saying Matt. Like the other two it has been a mainstay of all the gigs I can recall.
I remember the dj set in Galway and I though Belfast was THE perfect choice as the closing tune. I did enjoy ? as a belting closer but the wind down and final chord at the end of Belfast was incredible as a finale. However, if once was at it was...
Personally I would love it if they gigged there. It's only 80 miles up the road from me... but I digress.

By all means drop it though. New stuff is alway welcome and somthing must lose out.

I had the same thought as you on the Satan/Beezledub thing. This is a mash-up waiting to happen blending the old and the new. What will we get though?
Of all this new stuff I find this the most worrisome though; my disquite being raised by (I think) Shady's(?) not overly warm note on Beezledub and the air of concern I inferred in The Loopz Review over the tune. I haven't heard it yet so I'm airing an anxiety that may turn out to be nowt.

I have no problem whatsoever with Halcyon, but just Halcyon. If new tunes are in can we at least get rid of Bon Jovi for anything at all, say, the assorted rumblings of a cow's many stomach compartments. pppppllllleeeeeaaasseee. I start to dread hearing ytsriK I hate Bon Jovi so much.

Lush, Remind, Impact, Halcyon is an awfully big chunk of the gig devoted to one album I would have thought. I would say bring in Walk Now like you suggested but with all the new stuff at least three of those are going to have to go. I would go with Planet of the Shapes if it were up to me.

I haven't heard either the Gun or Don't stop me live.

I loved the OTS/Mobius thing from the last tour.. Somthing similar would be brilliant again as the surprise opener. Perhaps Nothing Left spliced with say, Midnight. Or perhaps Are We Here with Spare Parts Express.

The possiblities are, as they say, endless
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Out:

? - I think its time for the doctor to sit out for a bit... although I love it, I cant help feeling its a bit gimmicky and there are far more important tunes to be playing!

Lush - Although the Brown album is my favourite, this has been part of the live set for a looong time.

One Perfect Sunrise - Meh.

Halcyon - got to shake things up a bit, and this has been a live staple for eons.

Remind - Although a classic, its time for a shake up, as mentioned before there was a lot of time devoted to tracks from the Brown Album since P&P resurfaced. This is by no means a bad thing but Chime and Impact are pretty much mandatory at Orbital gigs.

The Box - Great track, but ysomebody has to be ruthless.

In:

The Gun is Good - Saw this at Guilfest and it was great.

Dont Stop Me - Another tune that really cut it live... I dont want these to disappear as they are really good strong NEW tunes.

Tunnel Vision - Has this ever been played live?? Well I want to hear it live. Nobody ever talks about this tune, and I think its one of the better Blue tracks; the percussion and tension in it are insane.

Satan/Beezledub - I reckon this is pretty much a dead cert.

Nothing Left Part 1 - I need to hear this live, more MON in the live set.

It would be really good to hear Technologikcke Park live too.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
tezleyflahflah
Saint

Post by tezleyflahflah »

Make sure you're there early enough to check out Japanese Popstars. Saw them at Warehouse Project Manchester in October and they were ace!
pooptoad

Post by pooptoad »

I wouldnt be too sad to not hear the following tracks that have been in recent live sets;

One Perfect Sunrise
Halcyon
The Gun is Good
Dr ?

I expect the following to be dropped in need to free up time for new tracks;
Remind
Lush
Belfast
The Box

I am loving the sound of the new album, so am hoping and expecting 5 or 6 tracks from it.

Tracks that will be unexpected that I would like to hear;

Petrol
Way Out
Spare Parts Express
Crash and Carry

PETROL
Kagey
Geography group B

Post by Kagey »

IN

Input/output
NEW STUFF
NAKED AND THE DEAD
NAKED AND THE DEAD
NEW STUFF
NAKED AND THE DEAD
Badger Badger
NAKED AND THE DEAD
NEW STUFF
Don't stop me/The gun is good
NAKED AND THE DEAD
NEW STUFF
NAKED AND THE DEAD
Little Fluffy F##k1n# Clouds
Shadows
NAKED AND THE DEAD
NAKED AND THE DEAD
Style
The Box

simples
http://www.clockworkdisco.com

"Let's face it, "digital sound" is a misnomer...

Unless you plug the wires directly into your skull, at the end of the chain is a set of speakers pumping back-and-forth turning ANY signal into analogue waves..."
Pirtek
Sinner

Post by Pirtek »

I don't care as long as P.E.T.R.O.L's in there! 8)
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

So Kagey...you sure you want The Naked And The Dead in the set? :lol: :mrgreen: :roll

Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

i will be happy with whatever set list they go :)

if there still will be Lush 3/Impact/Remind/The Box, then im good enough with it!

and what i would realy love to hear live is Spare Parts Express..
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Badger wrote:So Kagey...you sure you want The Naked And The Dead in the set? :lol: :mrgreen: :roll
Yeah, get off the fence Kagey and tell us what you really want to hear.
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Just playing a random selection of music and "Old Style" came on.

If they decided on bringing Style back into the set then how about doing it as Old Style? Or a half/half cross breed Style/Old Style (like Chime/Crime)?

donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

legspin wrote: I loved the OTS/Mobius thing from the last tour.. Somthing similar would be brilliant again as the surprise opener. Perhaps Nothing Left spliced with say, Midnight. Or perhaps Are We Here with Spare Parts Express.
Me too. One of my favourite parts of the 2009 set!!

It's getting more and more difficult with each new album. You want to hear some of the new stuff and rightly so but what do you drop? They're just gonna have to get used to playing 3 hour sets like The Cure do these days!!

For my two pennith I wouldn't be too sad to see One Perfect Sunrise and Dr? go (maybe put Dr? back in for the festies so that the casual fans can get involved). Maybe Know-where to Run too - although I certainly appreciated the inclusion of a track from MON (an album much under-represented in every tour since they toured it)

IN

Way Out
Crash and Carry
Untitled (from the cassette version of Green)
Dwr Budr

Actually, speaking of the Cure, Do you think it would ever be viable for Orbital to ever do a one off show similar to what they did with their Trilogy dvd a few years back, ie play albums in full from beginning to end?

I could certainly seeing it work with Sniv and Insides. Those two albums go pretty well together. I'd come and watch!!!!
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

donkey rhubarb wrote: IN

Crash and Carry
Untitled (from the cassette version of Green)
ahhh yes, Crash And Carry would be BLAST with new sound!!
and Untitled too, with new sound would rock! :)
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Actually I think Crash N Carry could work with Where Is It Going? Could actually be put in the middle like The Moebius in the middle of Out There Somewhere.